List all the names that this tour has been called/advertised since 2006

Tabitha27

He's kinda right though because its just all the same shit. Every time.

The current setlist is quite different compared to the first Chinese Democracy tour. Were you not aware of that or were you lying?

Doesn't matter. No new songs being played. Reviviing an old song doesn't mean a whole lot.

Chinese Democracy Tour

North American Tour

Up Close and Personal Tour

European Tour

Appetite For Democracy

Except for changes in tour name, location, stage show, merchandise, band members and setlists.

Just a little bit more on the changes in setlists sinsce this pops up all the time with so many people almost being apoplectic about "the identical setlists".

Both in 2006 and now in 2012 the setlists have contained some songs that I guess are just too much classical to be removed: Welcome to the Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City, November Rain, You Could Be Mine, Nightrain, Patience, Knockin' On Heaven's Door and Live and Let Die. As you can see, many of these are hit songs, single songs, songs that are very well-known. These 11 songs comprise the scaffold of the setlist, if you want, and are usually only missing from a setlist if it is an acoustic show or if the show was shorter than usual. Removing any of these will probably leave quite many concert goers wondering why they didn't get to hear that particular favourite.

In addition to these 11 core songs there are a few Chinese Democracy songs that have been constant through the years, not because they have the same popularity as the songs above but probably because Axl wants to use the to showcase the new album. These songs are Madagascar, Street of Dreams and Better. These are less constant than the core hit songs, but nevertheless almost always played.

So now we have a list of 14 songs that have formed the basis for GN'R gigs in the period 2006-2012. Leaving any of these out would either not be popular with the audience (if it is a song from the classic song scaffold) or presumably with Axl (if it is one of the 3 CD songs).

The rest of the setlist -- which is typically from 4 to 12 songs -- have varied through the years from 2006 to 2012, because the band and probably some fans, want to change things up a bit. In 2006 the following songs were mostly chosen to fill up the setlists (which typically contained 18-20 songs): Rocket Queen, Chinese Democracy, Out Ta Get Me, My Michelle, I.R.S. and Used To Love Her. By 2012, though, Rocket Queen and Chinese Democracy had become part of the core set, the setlist lenght had increased to 21-24 songs, and the following songs comprise those that are chosen to fill out the setlists: Estranged, Civil War, Don't Cry, Sorry, This I Love, Whole Lotta Rosie, Shackler's Revenge, Motivation and Glad To Be Here.

So the setlists aren't identical. They were more varied back in the early 90s, but they still change from tour to tour, from year to year. It might not be obvious to people only paying casual attention and people who focus on a given tour, but looked from a bit further away, the accumulated changes are pretty glaring. We might want the band to not use a scaffolding core set of songs, we might want the band to have more songs available and rotate them more frequently, but fact is that the setlists vary all the time and that when we compare 2006 to 2012, the differences are quite big.

Soul, I think the problem is that without new music, people want the tours to feel as though they're progressing in some way. If they can only draw from the back catalogue, then explore more of it.

Heck, KOHD is one of the most covered 3 chord songs in history; I think we've seen the band play enough different versions of it to drop it for something else. I agree that there are songs they can't drop, but we could easily see some bigger risks taken (open with Nightrain or drop a weird Illusions song in there) that would satisfy most people.

It's a solid set, just hasn't quite changed enough from previous tours to give Vegas that extra bit of spice. Still going to see it twice and still hoping for a few unexpected inclusions...

Soul, I think the problem is that without new music, people want the tours to feel as though they're progressing in some way. If they can only draw from the back catalogue, then explore more of it.

Heck, KOHD is one of the most covered 3 chord songs in history; I think we've seen the band play enough different versions of it to drop it for something else. I agree that there are songs they can't drop, but we could easily see some bigger risks taken (open with Nightrain or drop a weird Illusions song in there) that would satisfy most people.

It's a solid set, just hasn't quite changed enough from previous tours to give Vegas that extra bit of spice. Still going to see it twice and still hoping for a few unexpected inclusions...

Oh, I agree that it would be cool if the band explored more of their back catalogue and I most definitely want them to abandon KOHD as a core song. Hell, if it was up to me the setlists would be completely different. My point was just a direct rebuttal to those that claim the setlists are identical. Perhaps it didn't really fit in in this thread after all.

The current setlist is quite different compared to the first Chinese Democracy tour. Were you not aware of that or were you lying?

Its pretty funny that you continue to label other people liars or Insinuate that they are lying, when just a few weeks ago you made a post claiming that Chinese Democracy had sold 5 million copies by September of 2009, 10 months after It was released, yet you provided not a shred of PROOF to your claim and avoided responding when I called you on It. I would have to say when It comes to liars, you win.

HV, the tours have progressed over the years and the band has explored more of the back catalog. I think the biggest problem is that fans draw their own conclusions when the band is so vague about their plans and end up disappointed when their own self created expectations are not met. The band has only done two years of touring since the release of the album. During those two years of touring, the setlist has changed quite a bit, exploring more of the back catalog and less of Chinese as time has gone on.

KOHD is one of the band's biggest hits and by far their biggest hit in many countries (including the UK). I don't see them dropping it. I personally would prefer that they did as I've seen it many times and there are other songs I'd like to hear instead, but it would be foolish to cater the setlist to people like me who have seen many shows. Every concert is going to have a lot of people seeing the band for the first time and the band clearly likes to make sure those people get to see all the classics.

Do you really think *MOST* people would care, let alone be satisfied, if they opened with Nightrain or played a weird UYI song? I think many of us here have allowed our perspectives to become totally skewed as to the desires of the average concert attendee.

The Vegas shows are just another leg of the same tour that started at the end of 2009. I agree the set hasn't changed enough from recent legs to make to enticing for those of us who saw multiple shows from recent legs, but clearly the sets are not being catered to hardcore fans who are willing to fly across the world and attend multiple shows from multiple legs of the same tour.

It seems the Chinese album cycle is finally wrapping up at the end of this year. I'm sure at some point in the future after that the band will return with a new album and tour off it for a few years.

And I'm sure at the end of those few years everyone will bitch about how the set is similar to the beginning of those few years.

But that is life. Bands release albums. They go on tour. Usually the sets throughout the tour are similar, even if the tour goes on for years.

I have to say I agree.

For me, I never expect guns to play any new songs, But I do hope for it. The biggest thing with guns has been how vague they are about new music. For me if I heard them play at least 1 new song from an upcoming album it would give me hope that they actually are working towards a new album.

I've grown numb over the past years when it comes to new music, on tour or on an album.

I've looked at 2 concert threads on here in the past few years...the first japan show of 09, and the neil young show. I don't really care about any of the other ones....

Maybe that makes me "not a real fan"...maybe not. Either way I still wait for new music, because I think this band is capable of some amazing things.

HV, the tours have progressed over the years and the band has explored more of the back catalog. I think the biggest problem is that fans draw their own conclusions when the band is so vague about their plans and end up disappointed when their own self created expectations are not met. The band has only done two years of touring since the release of the album. During those two years of touring, the setlist has changed quite a bit, exploring more of the back catalog and less of Chinese as time has gone on.

I've often said the same thing (about fan's expectations), but I feel like the message that we were going to get "surprises" (which I think we've all rightly or wrongly assumed were new songs) was definitely communicated by more than one band member this time around. It's not like the "buildup" to CD where fans kept baselessly predicting random release dates and getting disappointed when they rolled by... don't you think this time, they at least have some reason to have hoped for more? I just think with everything recently, the fanbase would have been overwhelmingly on Axl's side if they'd chucked a couple of left-fielders into the set on the first shows. After Kimmel things were on the up - but since the O2 cancellation and the sets, I think the negativity has swept back in.

KOHD is one of the band's biggest hits and by far their biggest hit in many countries (including the UK). I don't see them dropping it. I personally would prefer that they did as I've seen it many times and there are other songs I'd like to hear instead, but it would be foolish to cater the setlist to people like me who have seen many shows. Every concert is going to have a lot of people seeing the band for the first time and the band clearly likes to make sure those people get to see all the classics.

Do you really think *MOST* people would care, let alone be satisfied, if they opened with Nightrain or played a weird UYI song? I think many of us here have allowed our perspectives to become totally skewed as to the desires of the average concert attendee.

When I said "most", I meant the "hardcore" fans (as in, most of their critics on here). What I was proposing weren't huge changes - just very small ones, that would still involve playing almost all (if not all) the major hits, while pulling a couple things out of left-field to silence the online critics and satisfy the travellers. I know Axl has said time and time again that he's not doing it for the people at home criticising, but it's something that would go towards pleasing the more devout of his fans going to see multiple shows. I've never really complained about the set before... but GN'R have never really done anything like this before.

If you think it's just hardcore fans that notice, I kinda beg to differ - I've read a couple of reviews that have made a reference to the set being very similar to the last show they saw... it's not -just- us that notice is all. It's a great, well-rounded set.... just would have been cool if there was a cherry on top of the cake.

Well hopefully for the people attending the upcoming shows, some old tunes will be brought back that haven't been played yet this year. I realize many of the people heading out to Vegas already saw UCAP or European shows in 2012.

Totally. I'm not suggesting they whip out "The General" or something... more like changing the opening song... or playing TWAT, Prostitute or heck, even one performance of Coma. Not suggesting they reinvent the wheel by any stretch - just drop a total bomb on the crowd here and there and watch what happens!

i agree with H.V , dropping 2 songs and replacing it with a song that is considered hard for axl to sing these days (irs,catcher,itw,etc) would really stop the negativity that the band never mixes up the setlist, its small effort on axls part for maximum kudos from the (diehard) fans