12/12/12 3rd INDIA show - Gurgaon/Delhi

The Archer

After the Metallica disaster last year, metalheads and Rock fans from India's capital will be dying to see Guns and if the band turns up on time, it promises to be a great show. With the generally positive reviews from Bangalore and Mumbai and the solid performance at Mumbai, the build up seems to be good -

Edit: (increased the font size - thanks Flayer!)

http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

Rock gods Guns N' Roses set to descend on Capital

By SRIJANI GANGULY

In what promises to be a befitting finale to a year of plenty for the Capital's music lovers, American hard rock band Guns N' Roses will complete a calendar of gigs studded by the likes of Carlos Santana, Megadeth, Enrique Iglesias, Poets of the Fall, Korn and Swedish House Mafia.

Guns N' Roses will perform at the Leisure Valley Grounds in Gurgaon on Wednesday.

The band members are on a high, spurred by the enthusiastic reception they've been getting everywhere.

'It has been a lifelong dream of mine to visit India,' says Dizzy Reed, one of the band's two keyboardists.

'I have always been fascinated by its ancient culture and influential people. To be able to experience some of that while rockin' and rollin' with Guns N' Roses, can it get more awesome?'

Guns N' Roses have been brought to India by Mooz Entertainment, which had earlier organised the September gig of American heavy metal band Korn in Gurgaon.

Formed in 1985, Guns N' Roses first came into prominence with the release of the single 'Sweet Child O' Mine' from their 1987 cult-defining debut album 'Appetite for Destruction'.

The song turned out to be the band's first and only number-one single in the US and catapulted its guitarist Slash to instant stardom for his catchy riff.

Twenty-five years later, the iconic lead guitarist may not be a part of the group's line-up, but the soul of the band remains unchanged.

Its current members are frontman Axl Rose (the only remaining original member), guitarists Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal, DJ Ashba and Richard Fortus, bassist Tommy Stinson, drummer Frank Ferrer, and keyboardists Chris Pitman and Dizzy Reed.

On the eve of their Gurgaon concert, the band was all set to rock a party to be hosted in their honour at Shiro, Hotel Samrat, in Chanakyapuri on Tuesday night.

The co-owner of the restaurant, Jay Singh, promised it would be 'the most amazing international party experience'.

That's a sentiment the band's avid followers would happily share.

Edited by The Archer

It just wouldn't have worked in India if he didn't.But, I think that they really have improved their start times and Axl did express his intentions to keep doing so on Kimmel. That being said, for all the late start times, they usually have a massive stage to set up and they do give the crowds their money's worth. The crowds in India would just be lapping up 3 hour shows. Maiden is the only band that I've seen that's come anywhere close to that length. A little more than two hours, as I remember.

all set from tomorrow. i am still not sure about the venue though... when i went there for the Metallica show it was so badly prepared using makeshift tents that it looked no bigger than a wedding ground.

So far i have read only good reviews for the organizers so i am hopeful this time everything will go smoothly.

When was the last time Axl sang Riff Raff? (just curious) ... what does the song mean?

Not sure the last time it was sung. Soulmonster would likely know that!

Not sure what it means in the context of the song but it generally refers to "persons of the lowest class in the community". Maybe it's about Steven and Saul? That's why it puts Axl in a good mood? Not a fact but a possiblity...

Returning back from the show. As u guys already know guns playes nice boys after PC. After the 'good fuckin night' bit we were all leaving but Axl came back and said 'do u guys want us to play a couple of more songs?' the band started playing TWAT but axl made them stop and instead they played Nice boys. Lastly he said 'u guys want more but they wont let us' referring to the authorites... Threw the mic and left. I gotta tell u he wan not into the crowd in the starting... Even saying something like ' we r gonna play a song to entertain ourlseves now' but as the shw went he was having fun. He loves to perform!. Anyway. Will post a review if i can.

Returning back from the show. As u guys already know guns playes nice boys after PC. After the 'good fuckin night' bit we were all leaving but Axl came back and said 'do u guys want us to play a couple of more songs?' the band started playing TWAT but axl made them stop and instead they played Nice boys. Lastly he said 'u guys want more but they wont let us' referring to the authorites... Threw the mic and left. I gotta tell u he wan not into the crowd in the starting... Even saying something like ' we r gonna play a song to entertain ourlseves now' but as the shw went he was having fun. He loves to perform!. Anyway. Will post a review if i can.

How was the show? Bad, Good, Great what?

Apparently, according to Jarmo's Twitter updates, the band came back after Paradise City and is now playing Nice Boys...

Weird...

Weird? That's awesome!

Last night I was watching the show they played at the Forum last year, the one where Axl told the audience not to take shit from anyone, and thought that it would be super cool if they came out after Paradise City and played an extra song or two. But I thought it was very unlikely. I guess I was wrong... :D

full setlist :

Intro

Chinese Democracy

Welcome to the Jungle

It's so Easy

Mr Brownstone

Estranged

Rocket Queen

Better

Richard Fortus solo

Live and let Die

This I love

Riff Raff

Tommy solo "Motivation"

Dizzy Reed piano solo "No Quarter"

Catcher in The Rye

Street of dreams

You Could Be Mine

DJ Ashba Solo "Mi Amor"

Sweet Child O' Mine

Band Jam (another brick in the wall part 2)

Axl Rose Piano Solo

November Rain

Bumblefoot Solo "objectify"

Don't Cry

The Seeker

Civil War

knockin on heavens door

Band Jam/Nightrain

Encore 1

Don't Let It Bring You Down

Band jam/Patience

Band jam/paradise City

Encore 2

Nice Boys

Axl dedicates the show to Ravi Shankar

Edited by Silent Jay

Damn, I would have loved to hear nice boys. Yeah, that was cool to dedicate the show to Ravi. He was a huge influence on the Beatles in the 60's and 70's, especially George Harrison. He lived a long live. I'm sure he lived a good life too. His daughter Nora Jones is very talented too. I'm not a fan of her music, but it's cool his legacy lives on.

As for Axl coming onstage ontime, maybe it's like a big rule in India for them to start at a certain time and end too.

Either way, sounds like the fans in India got some amazing shows!

As for Axl coming onstage ontime, maybe it's like a big rule in India for them to start at a certain time and end too.

Juest guessing- but it could be a security issue. A prominent American band playing a few well-publicized shows in a more restive part of the world probably makes security an extremely high priority I would imagine. I know if I were Axl- I would be listenting to and obeying whatever local/venue security has to say...

None of the above is meant to be "anti-Indian" BTW. Unfortuntately, as they know all to well, it's a great country and cutlure with a seemingly bright future- but located in a "rough and tough" neighborhood.

From the Times of India - Gurgaon Rock N' Roll

http://timesofindia....ow/17592415.cms

GURGAON: The artful scream - that rock-and-role staple- was first heard in the 60s, when Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant arrived at the scene of world music. It was two long decades, before the world heard another voice, as intense, as moving, and as loud as Plant's, and this time it came from the American West. "Is it too loud for you?" Guns N' Roses front-man Axl Rose screamed into the microphone at Wednesday's GnR gig at Gurgaon's Leisure Valley Park - sounding nothing like a 50-year-old.

This was the band's third and final show in the country, after Bangalore and Mumbai. And for the thousands of admirers of the 27-year-old band gathered here, this was the first opportunity to catch live an act many of them have grown up with. "I was brought up on GnR man," said Amit, who is about as old as Axl himself.

There are a few givens for a successful GnR show - the setup will be grand; the sound will be great; there will be a mix of bright lights and bling on the stage; and, not to forget, Rose will be wearing sunglasses at night. Wednesday's performance lived up to all these counts. And in addition, there was no lack of colour in the audience at the Leisure Valley Grounds.

Practically all age-groups were represented, and as were several nationalities. The Japanese national Yoshika, dressed in a corporate white shirt and sand-brown trousers, stood slightly away from the crowd. "I first heard them 20 years ago. And have seen them live in Tokyo once," he said, adding that he works for the carmaker Honda here in Gurgaon.

Most of the set-list the band plays these days is one long list of sing-along popular hits, punctuated with improvisations and covers of Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. The Delhi-based engineering student Tejasvi Verma stood flailing both his upraised arms out towards the stage, and singing loudly the words of 'Estranged,' an old classic. "Yes, I remember the words to almost all of their songs. And this is fantastic! The first time live," he said.

To see Rose do 'November Rain,' on his glam grand piano, was quite possiblly one of main the reasons most people were here, inside the venue. Outside though, there was the law-firm employee Ankit Khurana, who was on his way home when he heard the opening notes of 'Live and Let Die,' and decided to stick around. "I had no idea that GnR was playing today. I was just passing by. So I thought I will stay here and listen," said Ankit, who stood at the entry gates, although he later conceded that the show would be enjoyed better from within.

According to Neetu Bhatia, the CEO of Kyazoonga.com, the ticketing partners of the GnR gig, the audience response was 'tremendous.' "I think the Gurgaon gig is tacking up as the second best in the series of the previous three GnR shows, after Bombay," she said. Bhatia said that the city has just the right demographics for it to get more of such international acts. "Once there is more permanent infrastructure in place here, it will come out to be the preferred venue for such big shows."

Organizers of the gig, Mooz Entertainment, who have earlier brought the nu-metal band Korn to Gurgaon, said that the GnR show puts the city on the 'rock and roll map of the world.' "This has been awesome. The crowd has been on its feet throughout. The ghost of Metallica is finally laid to rest," said Karamjeet Singh, senior vice president, Mooz Entertainment, referring to the 2011 Metallica gig in Gurgaon that faced an unwelcome cancellation back then.]

Edited by The Archer

A song after Paradise City? nice

when was the last time PC was not the last song?

One of the 2010 Canadian shows ended with Nightrain (they swapped it with Paradise - Paradise closed the main set and then Nightrain ended the encore). Not sure if there's been other times since then.