About people complaining towards Axl's voice

iftheworld

I'm not trying to be hater. I love Axl. I had a ton of fun at both shows the last couple years (Up Close and Personal at HoB Chicago was my favorite concert ever).

However, after listening to the soundboard, and last night looking at fan pictures with Axl, I was sort of saddened.

Time has its way with everyone, to be sure. But in the last three years or so, Axl has really sort of let himself go. His voice isn't there, his body is sort of bloated. What happened to that guy in 2006 who looking like a fucking animal rock star? I know now that's seven years ago (wow!), yet still, he's been generally out of shape for the last three-plus.

It's just representative, I suppose, of a man content with his current life. Which is great. Maybe hate, vengeance, etc. was his muse and now he's in a happy place. He's not destroying his legacy with these videos on youtube where he sounds awful. The legacy can never be erased. Axl is the greatest frontman ever in my opinion. He was peerless in his peak. It's just unfortunate if it ain't gonna get better than right now, because time has truly then passed him by. I still clamor for new material. I wanted this whole new Guns thing to work out, you know?

Here are the photos. Some great shots ...

http://www.facebook....14418914&type=3

Edited by GnR Chris

Axl did well in Philly last year. Wish I'd gone to that show. He has his nights, but overall he just won't ever have the voice he once did. I do think, however, the cleaner falsetto can work on certain tracks. Sounded amazing in '02 on The Blues. I wouldn't mind hearing a studio album with that voice and Queen-style material. Because he's straining to use it on older songs, where we're used to the rasp, it sounds bad; but it could sound fine on new, better-suited songs.

Axl did well in Philly last year. Wish I'd gone to that show. He has his nights, but overall he just won't ever have the voice he once did. I do think, however, the cleaner falsetto can work on certain tracks. Sounded amazing in '02 on The Blues. I wouldn't mind hearing a studio album with that voice and Queen-style material. Because he's straining to use it on older songs, where we're used to the rasp, it sounds bad; but it could sound fine on new, better-suited songs.

A good way of putting it. The rasp that everyone is used to is the key point really. New tracks that suit his voice sound fine.... just when he trys to force the rasp it sucks donkey chode.

A good way of putting it. The rasp that everyone is used to is the key point really. New tracks that suit his voice sound fine.... just when he trys to force the rasp it sucks donkey chode.

Now at about 3:00 of this video from vegas I find Axl forces it, and imo it sounds dynamite.
Edited by cbgnr

Now at about 3:00 of this video from vegas I find Axl forces it, and imo it sounds dynamite.

This is probably the best i've heard Axl sing post 01'.... and he's just standing there pissed the hell off because people were throwing bottles on stage.

I'm absolutely serious when I say that 91 is his worst voice-year after 2002.

I "tried" listening to a concert from June, 1991 and honestly, I can't even call that singing. It sounds absolutely dreadful.

I'm a huge Axl fan, but he just sounded terrible that year...except for in Rio when he sounded awesome at times.

Probably why I keep watching the clips of all concerts - cause you never know what Axl is gonna deliver.

This is probably the best i've heard Axl sing post 01'.... and he's just standing there pissed the hell off because people were throwing bottles on stage.

I think these vids show that the both breakdown sections of that song are pretty much the same vocal wise,even though they are six years apart.Yeah he was using heavier rasp during the verse in 06. Edited by cbgnr

I'm absolutely serious when I say that 91 is his worst voice-year after 2002.

I "tried" listening to a concert from June, 1991 and honestly, I can't even call that singing. It sounds absolutely dreadful.

I'm a huge Axl fan, but he just sounded terrible that year...except for in Rio when he sounded awesome at times.

Probably why I keep watching the clips of all concerts - cause you never know what Axl is gonna deliver.

Uhm, I'd agree with you if you tell me that you have listened to all the bootlegs available from that year. I have, and sometimes he sounds too damn raspy (which is bad) and sometimes he sounds great.

Edited by pi2loc

While overall I believe his '10 voice was for the most part miles better than in '12, for Better and Shackler's he was better in '12. I love listening to the bootleg of the Duff London '10 gig, but Better is too raspy on it. He sings it brilliantly here.

EDIT: While I'm not a great optimist, Estranged Reality, I think Axl could get back to '10 levels if he started working out and taking more vocal coaching. I think the hate of all the crap he had to deal with in '09 brought him down, prob when he started gaining weight, but it also gave him this fire to perform harder and better. Not saying '10 is better than the AFD/UYI days, but it was damn near unbelievable for a guy his age. You can point to other singers who put out great performances but that pitch and that rasp is almost never seen in a guy that age.

Edited by Amir

Im really sad with how his voice has become. Steven Tyler's, even Jon Bon Jovi's voice went down but not as bad.

The thing is, its hard to really sympathize with Axl esp. with reports that he doesnt rehearse at all.

I suppose it's all subjective man, but I think Axl's current voice is great when he's on form, such as the Glasgow and Phili gigs. I think it's the tone of his voice that most people don't like, but I really don't mind it. Axl hasn't gotten the music played in a lower key which is impressive given his age, where as Bon Jovi has on several of his songs and can't hit the majority of notes he used to. Axl still has a phenomenal range, I just hope he utilises it in the studio while he can. Although if reports are correct about the amount of songs he has stored, then he should be sorted for the long run and may find that there is no point in going back to the studio and wasting money.

I don't think that his hair would look as bad,if it was longer and colored more like his natural color.I highly dislike the orange/red/blonde thing he's had going on. Especially with the god awful mustache where the color doesn't match. And if he used the right hair products.

His hair looks thin and baby fine. Which means not using the right stuff in it,makes it have these flyways and frizz. It would be even worse if what curl he has was curlier. I know firsthand,thin/baby fine natural curly hair is not fun sometimes. : (

Edited by SweetRose

At times when he did not look puffy and bloated (some 2012 pics showed that) he didn't look too bad. The India Tour showed a thinner Axl than some of his bloated 2012 pics. The bloating comes and goes, I wonder why.

From the Stern interview Slash had in 2012 it looks like both of them have identical kind of weight gain. The rest of original Guns all look better than these two IMHO.