About people complaining towards Axl's voice

iftheworld

At times when he did not look puffy and bloated (some 2012 pics showed that) he didn't look too bad. The India Tour showed a thinner Axl than some of his bloated 2012 pics. The bloating comes and goes, I wonder why.

From the Stern interview Slash had in 2012 it looks like both of them have identical kind of weight gain. The rest of original Guns all look better than these two IMHO.

Izzy just seems kind of spaced out whenever he's around.

Guest bellastar2355

Axl aged the worst out of all those from the original lineup. Fact not fiction.

I mean cmon, does anybody even want to bother trying to deny it anymore?

I hate to admit it but your right. And what really bothers me is that Axl has the best looking face out of all of them, but he just doesn't seem to take care of himself. He looks older than he is and looks tired. I understand that he's 51 but he could be looking a lot better than he is now.

Axl is still a very good frontman, but certainly not a great singer anymore. He still has his moments, but overall it's not very good.

Luckily he can still put on a very good show, what distracts the audience of the reality of his current voice.

I wish he would take better care of himself and be in the 2006 :wub: shape again. I suspect it would benifit his voice as well, or so I hope. It doesn't seem to much to ask. I really don't understand why he doesn't put some effort into that.

Maybe he doesn't care anymore?

I recall a poster on here saying that it's possible that he doesn't push his voice anymore because maybe the record company doesn't want to release any more music. Maybe he doesn't feel that he should use his full force in his voice is he's just touring "Greatest Hits" tours, instead of playing brand new music. I know it's a stretch, but it's also a possibility.

That could be why in 2006 he sounded great, same with 2010. Maybe the album was suppose to come out in 2006/2007, so he wanted to sound very good and put on great shows so when it comes out it sells good. But, it came out in 2008. Maybe in 2010 we were supposed to get a new album, but they have a falling through with the record company, and it didn't happen.

It's possible that Axl doesn't seem to care anymore because he knows there's no future in the band? Maybe that's why everytime he asked about new music, he mentions "the label." Maybe if they were to release new music, he would use the rasp and power again for the new songs.

Most sensible thing in this thread.

Watch that Sorry vid from Philly and see how effortlessly he turns on the rasp for 'nobody owes you...'. It's 80% of what he gave in 2010 and he's not even straining for it. So why did he bring it to Philly? Because it was a friggin HUGE deal for him to go back and play that show and he was high on it and engaged and wanted to make it up by giving the his full voice.

By the same token, why do you think he chainsawed the absolute fuck out of Twat during the encore at Dublin?

There's no 'apologist he's saving his voice brigade' about it. It's right there in the videos. He is clearly saving his voice or simply not interested/engaged enough to sing properly.

And i'm really glad about it because i'm pretty damn sure that if there ever is a new album he is not gonna come out and sing The General and Seven and Thyme is the same voice he sang that Sirius Rocket Queen.

The only thing that really sucks, as has been said ad nauseum, is that he has completely sabotaged his reputation by saving his worst performances for worldwide broadcasts, RAR '06 not withstanding.

Im really sad with how his voice has become. Steven Tyler's, even Jon Bon Jovi's voice went down but not as bad.

The thing is, its hard to really sympathize with Axl esp. with reports that he doesnt rehearse at all.

Jovi has lost almost all his range and power but he works his ass off with what he's got left and uses it effectively. For instance, he holds this note at the end of Hallelujah for absolutely fucking ages then goes higher to the top of his range and keeps singing for like 20 seconds. Everytime he does it the whole arena goes nuts.

As for Tyler, he hasn't lost much. He still screams the shit out of the end of Dream On .

And here's a sick video of Dickinson singing Jerusalem acoustic in Canterbury Cathedrel recently with the hard, high stuff at the end sounding identical, if not better than the album version from 1998.

Im really sad with how his voice has become. Steven Tyler's, even Jon Bon Jovi's voice went down but not as bad.

The thing is, its hard to really sympathize with Axl esp. with reports that he doesnt rehearse at all.

Jovi has lost almost all his range and power but he works his ass off with what he's got left and uses it effectively. For instance, he holds this note at the end of Hallelujah for absolutely fucking ages then goes higher to the top of his range and keeps singing for like 20 seconds. Everytime he does it the whole arena goes nuts.

As for Tyler, he hasn't lost much. He still screams the shit out of the end of Dream On .

And here's a sick video of Dickinson singing Jerusalem acoustic in Canterbury Cathedrel recently with the hard, high stuff at the end sounding identical, if not better than the album version from 1998.

Awesome. So you heard and like Jon's "Hallelujah" too eh? And yeah he cant sing "Prayer" as he used to, but is still doing his best. That and they got a new album coming this March(cant wait btw).

Tyler is just pure awesome. Not as good as he used to be, but still one of the greats. And he is known to be in the studio or rehearsing til late at night. Thats why Johnny Depp ended up playing with them at one point cuz he was watching them all day/night that they just invited him to play with them. lol.

I don't think that his hair would look as bad,if it was longer and colored more like his natural color.I highly dislike the orange/red/blonde thing he's had going on. Especially with the god awful mustache where the color doesn't match. And if he used the right hair products.

It's not really something he has "going on" as such in terms that he colours it that way. It's just the way most ginger's hair goes as they age.

Compare him to Gordon Strachan who had similar coloured hair to Axl back in the day, now he's got a similarly red/blonde colour.

GordonStrachan-231x300.jpgscotland-estonia.jpg

I don't think that his hair would look as bad,if it was longer and colored more like his natural color.I highly dislike the orange/red/blonde thing he's had going on. Especially with the god awful mustache where the color doesn't match. And if he used the right hair products.

It's not really something he has "going on" as such in terms that he colours it that way. It's just the way most ginger's hair goes as they age.

Compare him to Gordon Strachan who had similar coloured hair to Axl back in the day, now he's got a similarly red/blonde colour.

GordonStrachan-231x300.jpgscotland-estonia.jpg

My father, used to be ginger, has the same colour now as Strachan. He has now blonde hair, but still a red moustache. Just like Axl.

Awesome. So you heard and like Jon's "Hallelujah" too eh? And yeah he cant sing "Prayer" as he used to, but is still doing his best. That and they got a new album coming this March(cant wait btw).

Tyler is just pure awesome. Not as good as he used to be, but still one of the greats. And he is known to be in the studio or rehearsing til late at night. Thats why Johnny Depp ended up playing with them at one point cuz he was watching them all day/night that they just invited him to play with them. lol.

Jon's Hallelujah is hammy but I like it because he tries so damn hard with what he has left.

I'm not looking forward to the record. I watched the BBC2 live performance and the new lyrics are absolutely rotten. He is STILL re-writing Livin On A Prayer with help from outside writers. I mean, we've had Born To Be My Baby, It's My Life, Everyday, Have A Nice Day and now Because We Can.

I don't wanna be another wave in the ocean

I am a rock not just another grain of sand

I wanna be the one you run to when you need a shoulder

I ain't a soldier but I'm here to take a stand

Because we can

TV and takeout on the coffee table

Paper dishes, pour a glass of wine

Turn down the sound and move a little closer

And for the moment everything is alright

But this is the absolute best

But this is the real gem. This is the shit a 16-year old would write if you asked them to knock up a corny, derivative pastiche. I can't believe the guiy who is now 50, who wrote Something To Believe In and Santa Fe, who listens to the great songwriters like Dylan, Cohen and Springsteen, can't hear how utterly terrible his own shit is. How can he think this is some kind of real social commentary or message? I can't get my head around it, it's so embarassing. And meanwhile Richie just put out a real rock album that is better lyrically, vocally and musically tan every Jovi record since 2000 put together and instead of touring it round the world he's going to go and play this terrible dross:

You wanna start a fire?

It only takes a spark

You gotta get behind the wheel?

If you ever wanna drive that car

If you wanna take a bite

You'd better have the teeth

If you're gonna take that step

Get up off from your knees

'Cause tonight, you're alive

Who stand for the restless?

And the lonely?, For the desperate?, And the hungry?

Down for the count I'm hearing you now

For the faithful, the believer

For the faceless and the teacher

Stand up and be proud... What about now?

You wanna start a fight?

You gotta take the swing

Gotta get your hands in the dirt

To see what the harvest will bring

You wanna raise your voice?

Don't be scared to breathe

Don't be afraid to hurt

Don't ashamed in need

'Cause tonight, you're alive

Edited by Jordan Rose

Well then i'm a hardcore Jovi fan lol.

But seriously, when I go to Jovi shows and talk to people, the vast majority of their concert-going fans are either one-band-fans or people with a very limited interest in and knowledge of music in general who actually think Jovi are up there with the all-time greats. Jon wonders why the serious music mags don't cover him and the critics trash him and says it's not a cliche it's their niche and they're great at it. I'd agree up until Crush, at a push, because the tunes were good and the lyrics just passable. But the last ten years have been shocking.

Well then i'm a hardcore Jovi fan lol.

But seriously, when I go to Jovi shows and talk to people, the vast majority of their concert-going fans are either one-band-fans or people with a very limited interest in and knowledge of music in general who actually think Jovi are up there with the all-time greats. Jon wonders why the serious music mags don't cover him and the critics trash him and says it's not a cliche it's their niche and they're great at it. I'd agree up until Crush, at a push, because the tunes were good and the lyrics just passable. But the last ten years have been shocking.

HAND was good enough. But nothing beats "These Days". My favorite is still "Someday Ill Be Saturday Night".

That said, do you want Axl/NuGNR to do what Bon Jovi is currently doing? Play it safe but release albums every 3 years? Or just when he/they are ready?

Getting closer back to topic lol.

These days is the only real adult rock album they did imo. But as Jon said 'they hated it' i.e. it didn't do at sales, radio and live what their by-the-numbers anthems did so they never tried to write a serious rock album again.

Someone wrote a great post recently about how it's completely unfair to compare Axl and Jon: Axl's life has been a car crash since he was born and Jon's has been comparatively idyllic. It's because Axl's had so much abuse and shit to deal with that he can write masterpieces like Twat and TIL and Jon has nothing to say (that and Axl being vastly more talented).

Looking back at the NuGNR saga it's hard to see how things could have been any different. Between Axl being Axl and the entire industry and most of the fanbase prefering the easy money and nostalgia of a reunion it never really had a chance. On the other hand, if Axl had Jon's drive, ambition and self-belief i'm sure he could have gotten it done.

I just watched Amen and omg I can't believe I didn't realise what it was: he's tried to re-write Hallelujah!! I'm totally serious. He's done Hallelujah at almost every show since 2007 and I don't blame him because it makes him sound good and he gets a pop for it every time. But it's not his song and it's been overdone. So he made his own version! It's structurally the same, the melody is along the same lines and it has eerily similar nigh parts at the end which he sings in exactly the same way with the same gestures and they get the same reaction as Hallelujah. Omg, he's unbelieveble lol.

It's still a pretty song, though.

They're all "elder statesmen" in the rock world, all legends, so the older they get, there is some oversight and forgiveness when their voice becomes diminished because people are there to see the songs being played live. You'll never get the same feeling with a tribute band, even if they're dead on perfect.

Okay, Bruce Dickinson... He's not just passion, the guy is ROCK.

His voice is sounding amazing, he can still scream and use his clean voice, but not only that, he's pure rock on the scenario.

Check this out, Download 2007, look at that Wrathchild scream, then, he falls out of the scenario and he keeps singing... I mean... WHAT THE HELL BRUCE?! WHY ARE YOU SO PERFECT?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1xFkWLDyQs

Oh, 2007 is almost 6 years ago I know... No problem, Here's Wasted Years at 2012.

You just don't fuck with Dickinson... But of course, Dickinson is training his voice ALL-THE-TIME, the guy is ultra-professional, they rehearse A LOT. Bruce can sound that amazing because of his healthy life, and not only now, during all his career, he said it himself.

I'm no fan of Bruce at all. I think some people should be careful of what they're asking for. I think most of us like Axl cause he is Axl-ish.

I'm pretty sure most of the people who like GNR also likes or at least respects Iron Maiden.

I'm not asking for nothing, I love Guns and I love Axl, I had the pleasure of watching Guns in 2010 (Sadl I couldn't do it in 2011 :( ). I love new GNR as much as old GNR.

I can't ask for nothing to Axl and the guys, but I think the guy is sounding worse than in 06-10, and it kinda makes me feel sad, I mean, come on, Axl, you can do it, you did it only 3 years ago, what happened?

So many people say it's about his rockstar style... Well... In that case, I'd prefer him to be more professional, I like the music, the live-performances, I don't care if he fucks 80 different girls every night or if he puts 10 kilos of cocaine in his ass, I don't care about that, fuck that. I prefer him giving the amazing performances he gave in 2010, when he made 40.000 people rock, get mad or even cry, and not that RIR4 thing.

Still... I think he's sounding better than a lot of people, but come on, he's Axl, he did it only 3 years ago, bring us some 2010 crazyness.

And I think Bruce Dickinson is a guy who sound good and it was always like that, since the 80s that his voice sounds amazing, name me a year and I can find you a great concert.... The guy deserves our respect, even if you don't like him at all.

His voice now would be awesome to hear on an album.

Yes - here's a soundboard from 2 months ago - he sounds just like the old days!

Or not.

That sounded damn good to me.

if this sound good for you, then you are officially retarded.

It's not like different opinions thing, this is just bad. Horrible shit.

if this sounds good for you, then you are a moron or a cupcake.

Or just you are really deaf

OP is obviously trolling and being ironic so not gonna bother replying to him.

Thanks for sharing high. That was magical. His voice was perfect and the band was spot on. Great video!

I'm not sure what's the most tragic, Axl growing old and losing his voice or his desperate computer-fans who claim his voice is perfect and everything he does is magical no matter what. Actually, it's an insult to the good old Axl voice we all remember him for (80s/90s).

I disagree, on that Knockin' On Heaven's Door clip his voice was good. Did you not listen to it?

yup. his voice was decent. But nowhere near as the 2010 voice. Even not the 2006 voice

You can't just pretend the bad performances are the only ones and that he can't sing well at all anymore.

agreed

But the main problem is: most of the 2011-2012 tours, he sounded bad. very bad.

Like "i'm gonna do this show, then get hammered" No effort there.

That's the problem

But i don't blame him, because it's is very boring and frustrating, if that you MUST sing those songs 10000X times

Reported for insults when they are not needed. Congrats.

Damn that is an awesome video! Great vocals by Bruce there :)