"Guns N’ Roses Playing NYC’s Governors Ball – And No One Is Happy About It"

Tyler Drama

Guns N’ Roses Playing NYC’s Governors Ball – And No One Is Happy About It

FEBRUARY 8, 2013

141059836.jpg?w=300

http://kroq.cbslocal.com/2013/02/08/guns-n-roses-playing-nycs-governors-ball-and-no-one-is-happy-about-it/

Entering its third year and hoping to make a stand as New York City’s premiere musicfestival, Governors Ball continued to expand in 2013 from two days to three and booked bigger and better acts than its previous two years.

Several weeks ago, two of the three Governors Ball headliners were announced: Kanye West and Kings of Leon, along with dozens of supporting acts across all genres. Yesterday (February 7), the festival finally announced its third headlining act: Rock and Roll Hall of Famers Guns N’ Roses.

Promoters most certainly were ecstatic and assumed festival-goers and potential attendees would feel the same.

Not so much. Many of the @-replies to the Governors Ball announcement included comments like “Are you f*****g serious?”, “But why?”, and “no” (with 27 O’s). Governors Ball organizers attempted some quick damage control shortly after the negative reactions, citing the passion of music fans.

A petition was created at Change.org by site user Andre LeBrun to “remove Guns N’ Roses from the lineup for the Governors Ball Music Festival.” In the petition, LeBrun notes that GN’R has a historically “unfavorable view” among fans and that the band has “become even more of a shell of its former self in the absence of every original member barring Axl Rose.”

The petition proceeds to accuse Rose of being “one of the most frustratingly inconsistent performers of the modern era, is known best for his inconsiderate treatment of audience members and unprofessional behavior in general.”

This part most likely refers to Rose’s perpetual, extreme tardiness at his own performances, which, after almost 25 years, is practically common knowledge.

If you agree with the movement to remove Guns N’ Roses from the 2013 Governors Ball lineup, you can sign the petition here. If not, buy your festival passes here.

- E.J. Judge, WCBS-FM New York

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one would ever ask Slash to play something like this.

Wrong section.

No, it's necessary here because people on this thread and the other not to mention other forums are celebrating another story that has a downside for Axl, simply due to their crush on Mr Hat. Let's just get it all out there already, no need to be subtle.

No one even mentioned Slash.

Wrong section.

No, it's necessary here because people on this thread and the other not to mention other forums are celebrating another story that has a downside for Axl, simply due to their crush on Mr Hat. Let's just get it all out there already, no need to be subtle.

Which is I said let's put it all out there, no need to be subtle. The hatred of "newgnr" stems from one place.

You "putting it out there" is putting it in the wrong section.

Wrong section.

Which is I said let's put it all out there, no need to be subtle. The hatred of "newgnr" stems from one place.

LOL, sorry I didn't know the name "Slash" was banned in D&N. Come to think of it I see it here very often...

That's former member discussion, bruh.

Wrong section.

LOL, sorry I didn't know the name "Slash" was banned in D&N. Come to think of it I see it here very often...

1000x500px-LL-ed306aa6_Hijack-DeNiro.jpeg

Wrong section.

That's former member discussion, bruh.

And yet people bring him up constantly here. I'm not arguing, I'd prefer it if any Slash discussion was banned from the internet. But I will delete my post.

...LeBrun notes that GN’R has a historically “unfavorable view” among fans ...

Oh, no way! I thought it was only nuGnR that had an "unfavorable view" among music fans ... I never thought that it was also HISTORICALLY true!

That can't be true! Because according to the rock historians on here ... OLD GnR was the coolest band in the entire world even after alternative rock, new rock, and hip-hop killed them.

These same historians say if OLD GnR got back together, the USA would love them again and they be #1 in USA again!

LMAO

Looks like another reality check for the those still stuck between 1987-1991.

I guarantee you these people lead by Mr LeBrun are prejudice against [new] GnR based on their views about [old] GnR. They've never listened to CD or attended a [new] GnR concert.

This is what [new] GnR has to contend with today - especially in the USA. The hatred of the OLD band by many music fans is still a major problem keeping them down.

OLD GnR may have sold a lot of records, but they quickly became the "Nickelback" of the alternative rock era.

Hopefuly, the [new] GnR doesn't chicken out and does the show, and proves to those music buffs that [new] GnR is indeed a band with innovative and creative musical chops deserving of being including in this festival with the other bands.

Edited by gnrfan2007

Who is Andrew LeBrun?

Go find out for yourself, lazy

I have no idea who that person is or why they wouldn't want GN'R to play New York City. Does this person not remember the Hammerstein shows? Madison Square Garden 2002? This makes no sense. It makes total sense that GN'R would want to play America's biggest city, especially given that they're rumored to be undertaking a tour across the U.S. in Summer 2013.

Who is Andrew LeBrun?

Go find out for yourself, lazy

I have no idea who that person is or why they wouldn't want GN'R to play New York City. Does this person not remember the Hammerstein shows? Madison Square Garden 2002? This makes no sense. It makes total sense that GN'R would want to play America's biggest city, especially given that they're rumored to be undertaking a tour across the U.S. in Summer 2013.

No, this person is not a GnR fan and could care less about anything GnR has done in recent memory.

OLD GnR took a major hit to their brand post-1991 as the alternative music era began and took off.

Many people outside the GnR fanbase still view GnR as that same 1987 hair band that was the poster child for sleaze, drugs, alcohol, and sex.

These folks don't know or understand how GnR has evolved into real musicians. They just remember the 1987 GnR and Slash whoring on stage for anybody willing to pay him post 1993.

All they need to do is give GnR another chance, by listening to CD and attending a concert, and I'm sure they will not longer view GnR negatively.

These folks don't know or understand how GnR has evolved into real musicians. They just remember the 1987 GnR and Slash whoring on stage for anybody willing to pay him post 1993.

Not according to this petition:

The petition proceeds to accuse Rose of being “one of the most frustratingly inconsistent performers of the modern era, is known best for his inconsiderate treatment of audience members and unprofessional behavior in general.”

Seems they remember Axl's the most, not Slash's :shrugs:

All they need to do is give GnR another chance, by listening to CD and attending a concert, and I'm sure they will not longer view GnR negatively.

Maybe they have, who knows? It is not your place to say if they have or haven't or that if they do their opinions will change

Edited by WhazUp

Not according to this petition:

Seems they remember Axl's the most, not Slash's :shrugs:

Maybe they have, who knows? It is not your place to say if they have or haven't or that if they do their opinions will change

Sounds like you have already decided they're hatred of GnR is based on nuGnR only. I mean, if this was old GnR, they would be welcoming them with open arms, right? LOL

No. Their dislike of GnR obviously began with old-GnR.

This is exactly the same kind of negative attitude people who only listen to NEW ROCK/ALTERNATIVE ROCK radio stations have towards GnR. No different. They hate GnR because of the old music and image.

Sounds like you have already decided they're hatred of GnR is based on nuGnR only. I mean, if this was old GnR, they would be welcoming them with open arms, right? LOL

Nope, I never said that. But YOU decided that:

Which you have NO knowledge of if they have or have not and therefore cannot assess if they will view them in a more positive light or not

Plus they specifically called out Axl, so I know that you hate Slash with all your guts but you can't say he is more of a reason why they hate GNR more than Axl himself