Australia sends New GNR a message.....Not interested.

Schnippy

Tickets for the bands Australian tour are not selling.

The promoter has had to do a two for one deal in Sydney, where you pay $150 and get entry to the GNR show and KISS' second show (first was sold out until restricted view seats were added recently). Both bands are having their shows at the same venue. It holds about 18,000 people, depending on the layout. There's just no interest in this show and tickets aren't moving.

The show at Newcastle which was originally to be held in a 30,000+ seat stadium, has now been moved to a venue which holds 6,000 people.

Quite sad seeing as 20 years ago GNR held one of the biggest concerts ever seen in Sydney with 80,000+ people there.

There's only been one city to show any interest which is Melbourne. They've had a second show added.

The reason this is worth bringing up as well is because some have mentioned that this incarnation of GNR are still relevant in Australia. I think this ends that argument.

People seem to be growing tired of this act, which is obviously at the end of it's line.

Maybe tickets aren't selling because this guy somewhat recently sold out arenas around Australia.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slash was amazing both times he's been here. Not moshing kinda concerts but definitely great shows by sheer virtue of the quality of the act. I've never seen Axl before and I hope he brings it because I'm scared he won't.

Slash and the band sounds good, but then Miles start "singing"...

Same old shit again and again..

It's like Vegas, they were not interested. Yet they manage to have a very successful tour.

If tickets not selling, offering 2 for 1 deals in a key market and drastically downgrading the size of venues is going to be classed as a successful tour, then I'd like to know what would be classed as unsuccessful.

Playing a 6000 seat venue is just sad at this point. This band is bleeding out and the enablers just go with it, as if everything is fine.

Edited by Schnippy

if they didn't do a newacastle show, they could of sold a good number of tickets to ANZ stadium (as per 2010, which sold extremely well), and playing here twice in less than 3 years isn't optimal , not to mentioned the number of other bands and musicians coming here in the first quater doesn't help matters.

Edited by Gunns

Bring back Axl's band to Europe & South America easily and fill up +20.000 people venues. Not really sure why Axl wants to tour countries where he's no longer that well received...

BTW Slash's band rocks! Great to see he's doing so well on his own.

Dude. It happens.

Even IF Slash had never left and they had continued to put out albums all those years, in the year 2013 they would still be considered a dinosaur classic rock nostaliga act.

And they would be playing to 6000 seat arenas in Australia.

The world moved on and forgot GNR around 1994. It will never ever be 1991 again. EVER. Axl is 51 years old and he will never EVER sound like he did in the early 90s. Hell, by the end of the UYI tour he already lost his voice.

Just be happy that all the members of GNR are still alive. Go see him if he comes to your town. If you've already seen him, don't bother.

I think there doing ok, they got paid $1 million in 2010 to play ANZ stadium in Sydney, different time now, there isn't the same amount of promotion as when they played in 2010 (eg they had promotional campaign running with the telstra v8s etc, I haven't even seen any commercials on tv this time around)

heres a photo I took when i was on the barrier of that concert in 2010

img0109qn.jpg

Edited by Gunns

if they didn't do a newacastle show, they could of sold a good number of tickets to ANZ stadium (as per 2010, which sold extremely well), and playing here twice in less than 3 years isn't optimal , not to mentioned the number of other bands and musicians coming here in the first quater doesn't help matters.

They can't even sell 20,000 tickets, how are they going to do 80,000 at ANZ Stadium? By cancelling a 6000 seat show in Newcastle? Is that comment serious?

In 2010, they ran the event in conjunction with the Clipsal 500 car race. The only reason there was a good turnout for the concert was because people were already at the race, so may as well check out a "GNR" concert.

The only way I could think that a show at ANZ stadium might work, is if it was the only show they were doing in Australia!

Dude. It happens.

Even IF Slash had never left and they had continued to put out albums all those years, in the year 2013 they would still be considered a dinosaur classic rock nostaliga act.

So why did Aerosmith just get booked at the Sydney Olympic stadium (ANZ Stadium) which holds 80,000 people? And U2 in 2010 at the same stadium? Shouldn't they be nostalgia acts playing 6000 seaters?

Edited by Schnippy

Remember too, this one is hardly even being advertised, no association with any promotional (television ) campaigns for the melbourne grand prix, and no television advertising nationally for any of the concerts, and if there is, its very limited.

Yeah you might hear about it if you listen to triplem ,but not that many people really listen to radio anymore,. As I said, different times

Edited by Gunns

They can't even sell 20,000 tickets, how are they going to do 80,000 at ANZ Stadium? By cancelling a 6000 seat show in Newcastle? Is that comment serious?

In 2010, they ran the event in conjunction with the Clipsal 500 car race. The only reason there was a good turnout for the concert was because people were already at the race, so may as well check out a "GNR" concert.

The only way I could think that a show at ANZ stadium might work, is if it was the only show they were doing in Australia!

Dude. It happens.

So why did Aerosmith just get booked at the Sydney Olympic stadium (ANZ Stadium) which holds 80,000 people? And U2 in 2010 at the same stadium? Shouldn't they be nostalgic acts playing 6000 seaters?

Schnippy, i want you here when the Australia tour is over. Throwing random shit doesn't make them true.

This is the obvious effect of touring the same shit over and over again. They've been doing it in 2001, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012 and now 2013. With the same freakin' material. Quite honestly I'm not surprises and I can only see this problem grow as long as they don't start to do something new. Most people have other bands they'd rather spend their money on because they either haven't seen them or because they're doing something new.

That, combined with Axl's vocals getting worse , makes it very understandable that people choose to spend their money otherwise.

They could sell well 2010 partly due to the fact that ChiDem was just released 2 yrs prior, naturally many fans would like to hear the 'new' songs live.

Axl seriously should work hard in getting new music out if he wants arenas to be filled to the brim again. Not playing the same old boring setlist. How can he not get bored singing the same songs over and over and over and over again, beats me.

Dude. It happens.

So why did Aerosmith just get booked at the Sydney Olympic stadium (ANZ Stadium) which holds 80,000 people? And U2 in 2010 at the same stadium? Shouldn't they be nostalgic acts playing 6000 seaters?

Schnippy, i want you here when the Australia tour is over. Throwing random shit doesn't make them true.

Huh?? Random shit? I'm giving you 100% irrefutable facts about this Australian tour.

Yes, I'll be here when the tour is over and I'll be face-palming reading the usual suspects clanking beers over the "highly successful" 2 for 1 tour.