Australia sends New GNR a message.....Not interested.

Schnippy

Slash was amazing both times he's been here. Not moshing kinda concerts but definitely great shows by sheer virtue of the quality of the act. I've never seen Axl before and I hope he brings it because I'm scared he won't.

Slash and the band sounds good, but then Miles start "singing"...

Myles is an excellent singer.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Slash's shows were being turned into '2 for 1' deals, and being downgraded in capacity, we would never hear the end of it: ''Slash plays half empty clubs blah blah blah''. Yet Rose bombs in Oz and it is considered a 'successful tour'. Rose fans are freaks

Yep, it would be hilarious if it wasn't scary. All this talk how Slash plays to nothing but 2000 seat places and in Sydney Slash sold out a 14,000 seat arena and "GNR" is downgrading to 6000 seaters.

"Be here at the end of the tour! Axl will slam his mic down and say good fuck**g night.......this = successful tour. :crazy:

if they didn't do a newacastle show, they could of sold a good number of tickets to ANZ stadium (as per 2010, which sold extremely well), and playing here twice in less than 3 years isn't optimal , not to mentioned the number of other bands and musicians coming here in the first quater doesn't help matters.

They can't even sell 20,000 tickets, how are they going to do 80,000 at ANZ Stadium? By cancelling a 6000 seat show in Newcastle? Is that comment serious?

In 2010, they ran the event in conjunction with the Clipsal 500 car race. The only reason there was a good turnout for the concert was because people were already at the race, so may as well check out a "GNR" concert.

The only way I could think that a show at ANZ stadium might work, is if it was the only show they were doing in Australia!

Dude. It happens.

Even IF Slash had never left and they had continued to put out albums all those years, in the year 2013 they would still be considered a dinosaur classic rock nostaliga act.

And they would be playing to 6000 seat arenas in Australia.

So why did Aerosmith just get booked at the Sydney Olympic stadium (ANZ Stadium) which holds 80,000 people? And U2 in 2010 at the same stadium? Shouldn't they be nostalgia acts playing 6000 seaters?

Both the bands you mentioned have original band members and write new music. It's not the same as Axl Rose's hired guns & same old setlist.

I don't even understand how he can draw 5000 people, anywhere. Must be because Guns N Roses was so great back in the days, because now the shows are kinda boring.

It's boring if you're sitting at your computer reading the same setlist for the thousandth time since 2002. I can get that. But when you're there it's a different story. I've griped about the setlist more than anyone, but the one they played at the Vegas shows is the best they've stuck with since the new band formed. Bringing Estranged and Civil War and Don't Cry back, as well as adding Catcher and even TWAT...that's pretty damn good.

And despite being fat, old, out-of-shape and having a shit voice, Axl still delivers a 3 hour plus set every time he takes the stage. If you actually go, you're not gonna be bored. If you go to every show on the tour, well, then yeah. But this is Axl we're talking about, not Pearl Jam. Even in the UYI tour, the set was basically the same every night.

This is the obvious effect of touring the same shit over and over again. They've been doing it in 2001, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012 and now 2013. With the same freakin' material. Quite honestly I'm not surprises and I can only see this problem grow as long as they don't start to do something new. Most people have other bands they'd rather spend their money on because they either haven't seen them or because they're doing something new.

That, combined with Axl's vocals getting worse , makes it very understandable that people choose to spend their money otherwise.

There is really no evidence to support your suggestion that any opinion of Axl's voice has anything to do with how the general public (i.e. the public outside the fraction of fans at every show that are on this forum) chooses to spend their money. I don't even know how you would measure that anyway.

Ali

Any Aussies with additional info out there? I thought the Australian Tour was selling good.

There is no evidence it isn't. the added show in Melbourne is the only indicator on sales out there, don't believe the haters :)

Timing is the main factor to poor ticket sales, in my opinion. Soundwave is touring right now with Metallica, Kiss/Motley Coming up, Springstieen, Neil Young etc. All of these shows were announced long before GN'R announced the Aus tour. I know a few people who are going to a lot of these shows, who bought their tickets last year, and adding a GN'R show is just too expensive for most. I don't think it has anything to do with the current GN'R lineup or anything like that. Granted, touring with some New music behind them would probably persuade folks into attending these shows. But I do think it just isn't the best time for a tour, commercially.

Ticket prices are very high for some concerts, but I don't care if I love a band, I pay whatever for the best seats I can get.

I've done it for every damn band I've wanted to see.

It's been over 20 years that GNR has broken up and if some fans are still holding a grudge for Axl and won't bother to try to see the new GNR live, then fuck them.

Axl and GNR are touring everywhere, the least the so called fans can do is come out and support them. If the people of OZ, don't want to see GNR, then the promoters should have never bothereed to book them and waste everyone's time.

Maybe the Australians should hold out for a Savage GArden reunion. LOL Good luck.

Bringing up Slash in that context is bullshit.

However, bringing up "little promotion" excuses and such is bullshit also.

The truth is people see stuff like Dublin 2010, Rio 2011, Bridge School 2012 or the O2 show on YouTube and don't feel like spending their hard earned money on that. Well, who could blame them?

He is pissing on his hardcore fans.

He doesn't release new music.

He mails in the concerts.

He plays the same setlist over and over again.

Half the concerts consist of covers and boring guitar solos.

Everyone who ever WROTE a song to speak of in GN'R is no longer in the band and for the "Axl Rose Show" you get very little Axl Rose actually.

So what the fuck does he expect? At this point, he is LUCKY to sell out 10.000+ venues.

If you haven't seen them in 2010 then you're too late, the party is over. 2010 was the last time the concerts where somewhat worth attenting.