Why are Guns so big in Brazil?

Blusky Grenfield

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

every classic rock band seems to be huge in Brazil. They just seem to have not very demanding audiences there. It could be any random dudes on stage, and as long as the band is called Guns N' Roses or Iron Maiden or whatever there will be 200.000 people in the audience.

Edited by izzydoezit

every classic rock band seems to be huge in Brazil. They just seem to have not very demanding audiences there. It could be any random dudes on stage, and as long as the band is called Guns N' Roses or Iron Maiden or whatever there will be 200.000 people in the audience.

Everything is over populated in Brazil but, answering the thread question, it's because 80s didn't come to Brazil until like 2004.

Guns' following is bigger than any other classic band here. The band that could sort of rival Guns would be Maiden, maybe U2 or Bon Jovi...

They have a connection since the 2nd RIR in 1991. They were the biggest band back then and they were loved (and hated) by many already.

I saw a lot of it in Europe when I lived there. I think sleaze/rock made sort of a retro comeback for a few years with the Hot Topic/Crue stuff, and while GN'R were never really one of those bands they kind of got swept up in it, so they made a bit of a comeback in the U.S. and England as well, but I think that's faded a bit (it's why Libertad didn't sell half of what Contraband did, beyond the curiosity factor - that type of rock was no longer "in" by 2007). But some areas like Italy, South America, etc. seem to still be really into them.

Everyone's big here. People pay to see shows, not just GnR. Maiden's MUCH bigger. Roger Water fills stadiums like crazy when he comes. If Rush came nowadays, they'd be handed the key to the country. It's just how things are with every band, every artist. People like to party.

Oh Geez, you picked one bad example, or do you thought all brazilian girls were gorgeous?

Anyway, the other brazilians here made a great job explaining it already. Every artist is huge here, but Guns N' Roses and Iron Maiden are a level above. It has always been like this, but there's an important issue that no one mentioned: on 2001 there was Rock in Rio III, which was the extremely big, but then Rock in Rio left to Europe, and with them the whole concert industry in Brazil left as well.

Between 2001 and 2010 the live music industry on Brazil (and in the whole South America) was pretty much dead. There were really sporadic concert like U2 and Stones on 2005, which were such rare and big events that they were livestreamed on television.

Ten years without concerts in Brazil, it's a whole generation of rock fans who didn't have the chance to witness one single concert of their favorite bands. And when the industry came back on 2010, everyone wanted to attend. So the promoters started to bring every single artist, to huge concerts, but that bubble is about to explode at any second. Lady Gaga didn't manage to sell out her concert on São Paulo as expected.

It is only partially true that the brazilian people would pay for everything and every gig would sell out. Recently huge acts like Lady Gaga and Madonna had a very hard time to sell their tickets. When Motley Crue came here they played in a small venue, and it was their first concert here - you would expect a band like moley crue would have a huge hype for their first concert in Brazil. The Cure had some trouble selling tickets as well, so had Live and Louder festival...I remember when I went to see Faith No More in 2009 and the tickets weren't selling really well in Rio - it eventually sold out but they had to delay the start time because people were buying tickets at the last second.

The thing is: classic acts, good acts, have a huge fanbase here. Gnr is big in Brazil, but not nearly as big as Metallica, Iron Maiden, U2, Elton John, Paul McCartney...

The rumor is GNR will play a gig at Mineirão Stadium, that has been reformed for the world cup next year. Even though the band is huge here, I'm scared Minairão is a little out of GNR's league...

Guest NGOG

But some areas like Italy, South America, etc. seem to still be really into them.

You omitted other fanatical GNR regions like Canada and Asia. And even more recently the Middle East. Then there are other places where GNR do particularly well; France, the UK, Germany and Russia. Scandinavia is also a major market for GNR.