It is time Slash made VR his priority again.

Towelie

I was listening to Contraband yesterday for the first time in ages. Man, that was a great record and it's kind of depressing to see how VR went from such a promising start, to delivering a turkey as a follow-up to then disappearing altogether.

When they first started out, Velvet Revolver were an exciting band. They fired on all cylinders, they had a great frontman, a brilliant first album, everything worked.

In spite of the disappointing second album, VR were still far greater than Slash's band with charisma-free Myles Kennedy. Myles is an annoying singer with no stage presence whatsoever. Scott was superior on every level and Slash's solo songs are no way near the quality of the best VR material. Slash is best when he has someone to push him and inspire him. I can't help but feel he is just coasting with Myles for an easy life...

I don't understand why Slash is dragging his heels finding a new singer. Either call it a day or get on with it... If he truly has no intention of putting the band back together, he should at least have the decency to come out and tell the fans as much...

Edited by Towelie

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know... his current band is pretty good in my opinion. I understand your point if you don't like Myles too much but I think he's a really good singer. Scott sounded weird live to me... I kinda miss Duff and Matt though. It's just my opinion but I think the best for Slash is to stay solo.

The idea of an album with the Illusion line-up would interest me more than a new VR incarnation...

I think Slash is enjoying life being less complicated. Myles doesn't have that x factor that Axl and Scott have but that is probably why he is easier to work with. All the best frontmen are not easy people to get along with and I think Slash struggles with that. I assume his main priority these days, or at least one of them, is to remain sober and in good mental shape for his family. Revisiting VR might jeopardise that even if it would be creatively better. I think he is a bit between a rock and a hard place as is anyone who tries to balance family life and a career.

When they first started out, Velvet Revolver were an exciting band. They fired on all cylinders, they had a great frontman, a brilliant first album, everything worked.

In spite of the disappointing second album

No in spite. The second album and tour derailed that whole train. It was a tale of 2 halves. First it worked, and then it didn't work so well. Besides, who's to say they haven't tried? plenty of potential singers have come and gone, we've heard the demos, we've read the reports. But these guys still gotta keep busy. Slash is well aware people want to go see him play, whether he's with VR or not.

I loved VR.. There were even elements of Libertad that i liked better than Contraband, I loved both records. That being said, I love what Slash is doing now. The live shows blow VR out of the water. I love seeing Slash not ignore the great songs he wrote with Guns. I love the extended jams and guitar solos also. It would be cool to see Duff part ofthis but Todd's back up vocals are just insane.

I don't know... his current band is pretty good in my opinion. I understand your point if you don't like Myles too much but I think he's a really good singer. Scott sounded weird live to me... I kinda miss Duff and Matt though. It's just my opinion but I think the best for Slash is to stay solo.

The idea of an album with the Illusion line-up would interest me more than a new VR incarnation...

Good singer for sure, but what makes the lyrics he writes any different from some generic rock like Shinedown? I wasn't a big fan of AL, but I think a few of the songs deserved better lyrics/vocal melodies.

I think people here all forget that Myles is a guitarist first, who happens to be able to sing; and not a singer, who can play guitar. Think of him as Slash with good voice....but the point is, being the frontman doesn't come naturally to him and he's the 1st to admit it.

As for VR, they still need a singer! Yeah, contraband the ensuing tour were great but libertad and the ensuing tour were kind of weak.

But his solo band, just gives kick ass shows night after night and Myles is a big reason for that. He may not have the moves, charisma, x-facotr or whatever it is you want to call it, but oh fucking well, he's not a fuck up basket case that's late to shows, causes tensions in bands, etc. So you take the good witht the bad and the good far outweighs the bad IMO.

Now of your talking reforming the UYI or AFD lineups w/ Myles fronting that band, I'd be all for it.

And BTW, Myles was voted loudwire rock singer of the year for 2012 in a landslide. Not that it matters since it was fan voting. (Oh, the irony)

And on another note, axl hasn't written a good lyric since UYI and the lyrics on both VR recorfs were assinine in spots so don't say how great axl and scott are in recent vintages.

Edited by jmapelian

This is shitty,u can't say it's so difficult to find a replacement for weiland so many years after the band is on ice,other bands lost their frontmant but they found another one.Slash just don't give a shit about VR now.

Edited by Majestic Beast

In spite of the disappointing second album, VR were still far greater than Slash's band with charisma-free Myles Kennedy. Myles is an annoying singer with no stage presence whatsoever. Scott was superior on every level and Slash's solo songs are no way near the quality of the best VR material. Slash is best when he has someone to push him and inspire him. I can't help but feel he is just coasting with Myles for an easy life...

Yes, I totally agree. As a frontman Scott is leagues ahead of Myles.

I loved VR.. There were even elements of Libertad that i liked better than Contraband, I loved both records. That being said, I love what Slash is doing now. The live shows blow VR out of the water. I love seeing Slash not ignore the great songs he wrote with Guns. I love the extended jams and guitar solos also. It would be cool to see Duff part ofthis but Todd's back up vocals are just insane.

I forgot to mention that I never want to see Slash put on a show and not play Anastasia. I don't see any form of VR playing that.

I'm one of the few here that really doesn't like VR, but even I have to admit that Scott is clearly better than Myles. I would prefer for Slash to work with a better vocalist than either of them, but when the choices are limited to these two, it's amazingly easy to make a decision. :shrugs:

STP just gave him the boot. You'd think they're insane to continue without him, but then again that's the 2nd band he's been fired from now, and it's been after a brief album/tour cycle. That STP reunion didn't last long at all, after the initial greatest hits reunion tour buzz subsided, the air went out of that balloon fast.

The guy's too unstable, and his singing doesn't really suit Slash's prefered style of playing and writing at all. Libertad shows this in pretty emphatic fashion.

Slash and Duff were just tweeting about playing with STP (with no Scott Wieland) for the music cares show.

Both of Scott's former band's members playing together, and he can't make it work with either of them.

It's like the bizarro world or something.

Slash and Duff were just tweeting about playing with STP (with no Scott Wieland) for the music cares show.

Both of Scott's former band's members playing together, and he can't make it work with either of them.

Slash does shit like that on purpose. That's his whole gimmick...you think he's cool playing with everyone, the media loves him but all he does is rub salt on wounds.

Slash does shit like that on purpose. That's his whole gimmick...you think he's cool playing with everyone, the media loves him but all he does is rub salt on wounds.

Seems off to me too, but why single out Slash when a number of people would be involved in something like this? Duff, for example. Other STP members.

Seems off to me too, but why single out Slash when a number of people would be involved in something like this? Duff, for example. Other STP members.

This is just one example....Myles at the GNR HOF? Another example.

I'm sure Duff or Matt didn't call Myles to invite him to replace Axl. It was slash's doing.

I'm sure Duff or Matt didn't call Myles to invite him to replace Axl. It was slash's doing.

I'm not sure I see Myles at the HOF as rubbing salt in wounds. Why was that a big deal?

And for the record, I can't stand Myles.

Edited by magisme

RT

It does come across this way sometimes but it could be argued that Axl does a similar thing with DJ. I think maybe this tit for tat thing started way back in the 80s when Axl shagged his girlfriend!

Its funny you say this, because during every interview I read, it was at duff's suggestion and everyone's agreement that slash call myles.....but if you want to turn it into something it's not, than go right ahead.....but as an FYI, matt suggested myles for VR long before slash had heard myles so quit the cupcake hating

Either that or slash and duff are friendly with the guys w stp? And who gives a fuck why grown adults do what they do? Who the fuck are you, the x-band member police where x-band members can only play with people you approve of?