Why doesn't the New Band Inspire Axl like the Old one did?

Naupis

One of the things not often discussed that I think could use some more run around here is why Axl surrounds himself with musicians that don't inspire him.

When you look at the old band, they released 3.5 albums worth of new material in a 4 year stretch. They clearly inspired Axl on a musical level to be able to write and record lyrics he was confident enough in to actually release in a timely fashion.

The new versions of the band though don't ever seem to inspire him. Now it seems like he looks at writing lyrics for the material as a choir, rather than something he feels motivated to do by the quality of the music.

Clearly he feels no spark or no flare with these guys that on a creative level makes him want to go into the booth and finish music the way the others used to make him feel.

On a subconscious level he clearly knows it isn't working because he doesn't have that feeling anymore, which is why in 4 years of DJ being in the band he still hasn't stepped into a studio with them.

Whatever music they are showing him isn't giving him that feeling in his gut that he needs to record lyrics, and better yet want the world to actually hear what he has to say.

Is money the only reason he is carrying on with a group of musicians that don't inspire him? That is all I can figure, because we have seen how he acts when inspired creatively, and it is night and day from how he acts with these guys.

Releasing music and recording vocals didn't become the struggle it is until he started being surrounded by musicians who didn't inspire him the way Slash/Duff/Izzy did.

Why then does he continue to insist sticking with those guys instead of looking for guys that will give him that itch again?

I, a firm supporter of New guns, have to say that I am not a big fan of the influence Team Brazil has on Axl. Vanessa, Nando and Beta are all real friendly but when it comes to the music... I don't... think they know what they are doing...

Good post. I would say that motivation mostly comes from within, the desire to achieve something. He was hungry for that in the 80s but now I guess it's a bit more been there, done that and he doesn't have the same drive. NuGuns #1 didn't quite work out as he hoped not did CD so maybe he doesn't see the point.

If we look back at early motivations of original Guns Axl was always the one with the grand plan, obviously he is a great musician but it could be said back then at least he was more motivated by the bigger vision than the music it's self. Slash in contrast clearly just loves playing his guitar, anywhere with anyone which is probably why he is motivated to keep churning music out as he probably doesn't have a grand plan.

Most of the current guys are very accomplished musicians but I can see why they might not inspire him to write, the set up of this band is very different from the old one, he is their boss not their equal and I'm sure even if they all get along neither side ever forgets it.

I, a firm supporter of New guns, have to say that I am not a big fan of the influence Team Brazil has on Axl. Vanessa, Nando and Beta are all real friendly but when it comes to the music... I don't... think they know what they are doing...

this.

He needs a real manager. End of story.

and this.

Edited by Mindray11

I wonder how he feels about the current management situation? It's been a couple of years now since TB took over, if he wasn't happy with the direction and management for any reason (and assuming there were issues that couldn't be talked through or worked out) he has wedged himself into a bit of a tight spot. He can't fire any of them as he did with previous managers without damaging important personal relations. I have to say personally I would be reluctant to ever go into business with family or close friends for this reason.

Amy was at a Vegas show. She posted a FB pic with a caption about being in tears watching her amazing brother. It was very touching actually. I don't think they are involved in the band anymore, they probably have their own lives going on.

Edited by alfierose

You can't compare Axl from his early 20s when he was young and hungry to a middle-aged man. But I think a fairer comparison is the Bucket/Finck lineup and the current one. In the late '90s and early 2000s, Axl still seemed motivated, and he had a plan for a new version of Gn'R to conquer the music world. But he wasted too much time getting the record out and pissed away the last of his peak years.

Now you have a very good touring band, and that's all they seem to want to be. Axl probably realizes the ship has sailed. There will never be a Guns N' Roses in people's minds that doesn't include Slash and Duff and Izzy. It's too late to create the grand part 2. So he wants to sit back and tour the hits. OK. It's awful for us as fans 'cause we're hungry for the vaulted material. Maybe we'll never see it. Maybe we'll see it posthumously when Brazil cashes in.

Whatever the case, if Guns comes to town, I'm gonna go out to see Axl Rose. So maybe I'm part of the problem.

Music isnt really what inspires lyrics. For UYI Axl said he was just given guitar tracks to add vocals to. You can see that songs with earlier roots have his print on them.

But he has said that theyve recorded and just need to decide what to go with. Then theres the label. Probably waiting til AcDC, Metalkica suit up for another record. Its a bit too early, its not far off but this year seems about right for a stop gap ep, which i guess the blu ray could be.

Because he's 51 and doesn't give a fuck anymore.

Exactly what I think. He's 51, he's doing what he wants, when he wants, and how he wants. Same thing we all hope for when we retire. Just so happens he just hasn't actually retired yet.

You can't compare Axl from his early 20s when he was young and hungry to a middle-aged man. But I think a fairer comparison is the Bucket/Finck lineup and the current one. In the late '90s and early 2000s, Axl still seemed motivated, and he had a plan for a new version of Gn'R to conquer the music world. But he wasted too much time getting the record out and pissed away the last of his peak years.

Now you have a very good touring band, and that's all they seem to want to be. Axl probably realizes the ship has sailed. There will never be a Guns N' Roses in people's minds that doesn't include Slash and Duff and Izzy. It's too late to create the grand part 2. So he wants to sit back and tour the hits. OK. It's awful for us as fans 'cause we're hungry for the vaulted material. Maybe we'll never see it. Maybe we'll see it posthumously when Brazil cashes in.

Whatever the case, if Guns comes to town, I'm gonna go out to see Axl Rose. So maybe I'm part of the problem.

Honestly not being a smart ass here in any way, but I completely missed this highly motivated Axl in the early 2000's. I saw nothing but some poor performances, and real bad vocals. People bitch about his voice now, but I think those early 2000 shows were by far the worst, and set him and GNR back big time. They were embarrassing. Being a huge GNR fan i can still remember friends of mine playing those shows, laughing there asses off and looking at me like "really dude? Axl sounds good here?" And I had no defense because he sounded terrible. Again, this is just my opinion. Wish I woulda seen a motivated Axl Rose anytime after UYI's were 2 years old.

Before AFD Guns was Broke, No Car,living out of a Studio. It's easy to see where they got the inspiration. It's kinda hard to find your motivation when your house-keeper is bringing you breakfast in bed.