Axl should have recorded 'Neither Can I'

BBA

This past weekend was the first time in ages that I listened to the first Snakepit. There were some really great tracks on that album. I can see why Axl was so pissed when Slash went and did his own thing with some of those songs, especially when you consider what we ended up with on Chinese D. It's a damn shame that Axl didn't put his vocals on the track 'Neither Can I'. I think he could have taken a great song and really elevated it to another level.

Meh. I still don't think that album would've gone down well as a GNR album, Axl on-board or not. If they wanted to go back to their roots, they should've gone for the high-octane Apocalyptic Love approach, not the sleazy snore-core on I5OCS.

Edited by bacardimayne

They should've done a 4-6 track EP with the best tracks from I5OCS if Slash was so deadset on putting it out.

How about Axl should have just laid vocals down for those 4-6 songs that were good enough?

Nah .. instead we got to wait for 15 years to get 14 mostly inferior songs. Great call by Axl!

Edited by BBA

Slash > Axl

I would have loved to hear Axl's vocals/arrangements on songs like Neither Can I and Back and Forth Again.

I'd also throw Beggars, Soma City Ward and Lower in there.

No doubt.

Add to the list: Be The Ball. I love that solo.

They should've done a 4-6 track EP with the best tracks from I5OCS if Slash was so deadset on putting it out.

How about Axl should have just laid vocals down for those 4-6 songs that were good enough?

Nah .. instead we got to wait for 15 years to get 14 mostly inferior songs. Great call by Axl!

That's what I meant. The band (Axl included) should've just done a 4-6 track EP of the best songs from I5OCS. The album in its entirety wasn't good enough to be a GNR album, but I think something similar to Lies (4 unreleased demos from 86-93 and 4-6 Snakepit songs) could've helped tide fans over until they had a good album ready.

That's what I meant. The band (Axl included) should've just done a 4-6 track EP of the best songs from I5OCS. The album in its entirety wasn't good enough to be a GNR album, but I think something similar to Lies (4 unreleased demos from 86-93 and 4-6 Snakepit songs) could've helped tide fans over until they had a good album ready.

Or they could have done the sensible thing and took Snakepit's best 4-5 songs and combined them with Axl's best 4-5 songs and Izzy/Gilby/Duff's best 4-5 songs and then BAM! Good GNR album ...

Or they could have done the sensible thing and took Snakepit's best 4-5 songs and combined them with Axl's best 4-5 songs and Izzy/Gilby/Duff's best 4-5 songs and then BAM! Good GNR album ...

Would've been interesting to see songs like Oh My God and Neither Can I on the same album..

Would've been interesting to see songs like Oh My God and Neither Can I on the same album..

I said best songs ...

Except that although Snakepit is a great album, Chinese Democracy is way better.

If cock rock ballads are your thing ... sure.

A Slash fan criticising ChiDem for being cock rock?? You do realise I5OCS is the epitome dictionary definition of the term "cock rock"?

I think you've lost perspective, buddy.

Edited by Towelie

I said best songs ...

"Oh My God" is a great song IMO.

I said best songs ...

"Oh My God" is a great song IMO.

Agreed.

Certainly better than anything on that crappy first Snakepit album.

The snakepit songs don't have last ability a bit Slash solo. It sounds great at barbq but as repeat listens CD has that. CD is infinite.

But I think CD had a couple snakepit or Izzy tunes it would have wider appeal. It would sell 3 mil more. But I'm happy with all the stuff. There's a lot of GNR related material.

I hear nothing on the first Snakepit album worthy of GNR standards.

Ain't Life Grand is a far better record. Now Axl singing on Serial Killer... THAT would be fucking epic!!

Slash on TWAT would be even better.

I hear nothing on the first Snakepit album worthy of GNR standards.

Ain't Life Grand is a far better record. Now Axl singing on Serial Killer... THAT would be fucking epic!!

Slash on TWAT would be even better.

I love the TWAT solo, but I think my brain would explode with a Slash solo :drool:

TWAT and TIL solos are awesome, but if Slash were in them in a GNR Slash way, we'd be drooling prolly :) They once had that chemistry, just look at Estranged, a song galaxies far away from Slash's style, but see how he handled it legendarily..

Yet, 5 Oclock is a shit record with few nice tunes, where ALG was the best thing Slash has ever done afer GNR, wish Axl was at least a guest on it...

Neither Can I is pretty boring.

The 2 Slash songs that come to mind when I think of what could have been are Watch This and Anastasia. Think those both could have been huge hits and just been epic with Axl's vocals and lyrics.

From ChiDem, the one song that jumps out at me as sorely lacking Slash is Street of Dreams. I love the album but I always skip that track, just really boring and in desperate need of a Slash solo or 2 or 3, like November Rain.

Edited by Amir