Homeland Thread [SEASON 03 PREMIERE LEAKS]

ManetsBR

• 4 weeks later...

I loved season one, but couldn't get into season 2 at all (and gave up). Wrong call?

The first half of season 2 was superb, IMO, but it went horribly off the rails as it progressed (primarily the soapy elements of the Carrie/Brody affair and all that time wasted with his annoying family). There's been some acknowledgement from producers that the show needs to redeem itself this year, and the first ep was a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

The first half of season 2 was superb, IMO, but it went horribly off the rails as it progressed (primarily the soapy elements of the Carrie/Brody affair and all that time wasted with his annoying family). There's been some acknowledgement from producers that the show needs to redeem itself this year, and the first ep was a step in the right direction.

I told myself I wouldn't watch S3 because the second season got so boring in the second half. The finale was pretty good though, so it's roped me back in for the third season. This one is make-or-break as far as the show goes for me. Going to watch episode 1 tonight!

Apparently, a lot of people thought season 1 was great. Personally, I thought season 1 was ok. The show was overhyped, but there were about 4 very good episodes IMO. But yes, granted, the show was a lot more realistic that first season. I think it was because it played out like a realistic movie that whole season.

Season 2 divided people. I thought it was great because episode to episode it was more entertaining to me. But yes, I will definitely admit the show got unrealistic. It was simple, they were trying to extend a realistic storyline that only went so far, so they still provided entertainment but without the realism the first season brought. If you liked season 1 for the realism, I completely understand why you didn't or wouldn't like season 2. If you didn't care as much about realism, I think people will agree season 2 was better in regards to pure entertainment.

So basically, I thought season 1 was ok and season 2 was very good. Just watched the first episode of season 3 and absolutely hated it. Not entertaining at all and I don't really care if its realistic or not at this point. I think the show has pretty much gone as far as it can go with the storyline and they are grasping for something to continue with, and none of what they have is that interesting. IMO I thought the overacting ran rampant during this first episode and it brought back all the things I didn't like about the first season which was these very singular emotions these characters feel that is hard for me to get on board with.

I'm expecting this season to not be very good, but maybe it will surprise me. I'll watch the show till it ends just because thats what I do with shows I watch, but this was definitely my least favorite episode of the series so far. Few last minute thoughts:

-I don't care that Dana tried to kill herself. She never seems to progress in life and always does the wrong thing, which is why I've never liked her. Evident in this first episode in that she gets out of rehab, clearly doesn't care about changing stuff, and takes a naked picture of herself.

-The rest of the Brody family seems pointless if Brody isn't there. Jessica doesn't have anything to do and never really has but stand by Brody and the boy similar has nothing going on that we know of. Those characters aren't developed enough to devote parts of the episode too, and unfortunately the only one that is Dana and her storylines just go in circles repeating each other.

-Saul is fine, although he's testing my patience. I don't understand the storyline with his girlfriend or wife. Either she's gonna stay or she's not. I don't get why she keeps going back and forth. She says in the episode "what do you want us to do" and Saul doesn't answer. He really doesn't have to. Clearly he wants her to stay so I don't see why she is there. Either that relationship is gonna work or its not. End that silly charade.

-I also don't get why Saul would continually put up with Carrie yelling at him. This is like the 3rd time its happened, and whether he's right or wrong Carrie always comes crawling back. So whats the real point of yelling at him and why does he take it? Carrie looks like a baby doing it, especially this many times.

-Carrie regressed horribly in this episode. She's back to being crazy, she's back to drinking, she's back to fucking random strangers, she's back to living at home under careful watch. Personally, I don't think thats interesting anymore and we should be past it. Its hard to follow the main character when she's not moving forward at all. I thought what was good about season 2 was she moved past this and was vindicated, but now it seems like all of that didn't matter and she's back to just being unstable. I just don't get why anything she did in this first episode made sense.

There. All my thoughts. I hope episode two is MUCH better because everything in this episode seemed like a step backwards and in the wrong direction.

Who is up to date with S3?

Brodie is confined to a block of squalor in Venezuela.

Two observations; that 'doctor' strikes me as a paedophile. Why? The way he described retreating from society because of 'judgement', and he always has a young boy on the job.

I also believe Brodie will get with his handler's young girlfriend; the writers seem to want to exasperate his relationship with the handlers.

Carrie is also doing herself no favours by trying to behave rationally and in doing so creating the opposite impression.

Edited by NGOG

Who is up to date with S3?

Brodie is confined to a block of squalor in Venezuela.

Two observations; that 'doctor' strikes me as a paedophile. Why? The way he described retreating from society because of 'judgement', and he always has a young boy on the job.

I also believe Brodie will get with his handler's young girlfriend; the writers seem to want to exasperate his relationship with the handlers.

Carrie is also doing herself no favours by trying to behave rationally and in doing so creating the opposite impression.

I got the same vibe from the doctor. The girl is the daughter of the handler.

I'm basically caught up. Haven't seen last night's episode but just saw the third one. Boy this show has made absolutely no positive progress. The Brody stuff in episode three is the most boring fucking thing I've ever seen. I don't even know or care why I'm watching him. I mean, what is the deal at all with that story? He's stuck there for little or no reason except just to keep him around in the show, and it seems like every season we have to deal with him starting completely over with his life. So he never progresses anywhere. He just ends up getting to the same place every time and getting knocked back down. I'm getting sick of watching him "silently acclimate" for the third fucking time in this series.

And as usual and has been, the Carrie stuff fucking sucks. She sounds like a 15 year old girl with her cursing and there's just nothing compelling anymore about her character at all. Based on the promos they are showing for the next episode/season, it looks like the story isn't getting any better. Carrie trying to get back at the CIA just to be taken advantage of again and Brody doing god knows what with who cares.

I barely made it through episode 3.

The only way shows like this survives is if they don't care about killing off the main characters and bringin in new ones (like Game of Thrones).

Which they seem to be incapable of doing. He should have died season 1, and at the very most by the end of season 2. After the end of season 2, there's no reason for him to be central to the show anymore unfortunately, yet they are trying to hang onto him. The show can't survive because the story is so long done its just embarrassing now. It was always a one season, one and a half season at most, show and the creators made the mistake of apparently not thinking far in advance at all. Or if they did, they did a horrible job with it.

I agree, they have no idea where they're going with any of it, and why the fuck are we still being subjected to Brody's stupid godamn family!? If this was intended to be a long standing show and not a mini series, that entire arc should've ended (or at least become peripheral) with his capture in S2, and we should be well into a fresh storyline. I keep hoping it will reboot itself, but there's apparently a huge contingent of Carrie/Brody shippers (seriously, whoever you are, fuck off and die), and the producers are more worried about alienating them than those if us who would prefer a show that didn't suck.

Edited by Angelica

Finally caught up fully. At least the 4th episode was the most "normal". It at least felt like Homeland. Thats not to say it was good, but it felt more familiar than the last 3 have. The storylines are still all stupid.

There's no reason to continue the Dana/Brody family storyline, as thats just filler and adding nothing. At this point, I could understand if they did a "where does this family go now" storyline since Brody is gone, but they aren't even doing that so they are worthless. It literally just seems like a way to fill time.

The CIA storyline is fine but there's absolutely nothing on the line. Its like they are starting to get to a storyline of who they are chasing, yet just never get there. Also, if they are tracking the person who did this massive attack, why are two people on the job? Shouldn't this be like, all the CIA is doing right now? The problem with this storyline is it seems like their main mission is some sort of side project so there's not much I end up caring about it.

Carrie is screwed every which way. I don't even know why or care that people are following her, and every one of her actions feels completely random. Its basically just watching a paranoid person who may or may not be followed, and in the end no one really cares because she's unstable anyway. She's no longer a reliable narrator or main character so its lost almost any interest in that story.

Also, Mike seemed useless to bring back. I don't know where they plan to go there. And the only good person on the show, Quinn, seems to have all but vanished. The only person who is actually doing shit and they don't even follow through with it. Lastly, is Virgil required and limited to only appearing once a season. Similar to Mike in its like why the hell would you bring him back when he seems wholly unneeded. Even moreso in the context they brought him back in. No one talks to him in months and suddenly he's someone you call? Nothing in the show makes sense anymore, but at least in the formula they did episode 4 it was watchable. The first three were torture to get through. At least stuff moved this week, albeit all in horrible directions. I'm surprised critics really aren't attacking the show yet.

Finally caught up fully. At least the 4th episode was the most "normal". It at least felt like Homeland. Thats not to say it was good, but it felt more familiar than the last 3 have. The storylines are still all stupid.

There's no reason to continue the Dana/Brody family storyline, as thats just filler and adding nothing. At this point, I could understand if they did a "where does this family go now" storyline since Brody is gone, but they aren't even doing that so they are worthless. It literally just seems like a way to fill time.

There was so much fan discontent over the screentime allotted to the stupid Dana storyline last year (and the producers acknowledged as much) that the Brody's continued presence on the show is absolutely baffling. Who would rather watch this than Quinn doing actual CIA shit!? The show sold out to the stupidest factions of its fan base almost immediately. Edited by Angelica

There was so much fan discontent over the screentime allotted to the stupid Dana storyline last year (and the producers acknowledged as much) that the Brody's continued presence on the show is absolutely baffling. Who would rather watch this than Quinn doing actual CIA shit!? The show sold out to the stupidest factions of its fan base almost immediately.

The Dana storyline was easily the low point of last season, and thats coming from someone that really enjoyed last season. I understand why they are still dealing with it (it would make sense but be jarring for the Brody family to just be completely cut out of the show) but it makes absolutely no sense and no difference to the overall storyline unless everything magically connects (which it won't/can't). But yeah, I completely agree with you. The show has moved from being CIA to now having three distinctly different storylines happening at the same time, the CIA and only one that matters actually being given the least attention.

Also, the Saul/Carrie relationship reached a peak weirdness at the end of the episode 4? So, what, she was actually trying to help Saul all this time? But then what the reason for being upset with him? It was as if the show was trying to fool people into not knowing she was still on Saul's side, but then it doesn't make sense at all for her to be upset watching him on TV when she is by herself. Who is she trying to convince? Very little of this season is actually making sense and there's absolutely nothing to identify with in the little that is.

I can (sort of, and I feel quite generous for trying!) give her reaction when watching him on TV a pass. She knew what was coming because of it (hospitalization) and even knowing the score, she was watching what is I think her worst fear being realised.

What I can't forgive under the newly revealed circumstances is...Saul VISITING HER IN HOSPITAL!? That happened, right? Wasn't a dream?

Edited by Angelica

I can (sort of, and I feel quite generous for trying!) give her reaction when watching him on TV a pass. She knew what was coming because of it (hospitalization) and even knowing the score, she was watching what is I think her worst fear being realised.

What I can't forgive under the newly revealed circumstances is...Saul VISITING HER IN HOSPITAL!? That happened, right? Wasn't a dream?

No, that happened. Those two events are the only ones that wouldn't make sense (and thats as if I forget everything else that she seemed genuinely shocked about in the hospital as if everything was part of some plan). One or both of those two events wouldn't make sense. But yeah, visiting her in the hospital and telling him to fuck off. Who are they acting for in the mental hospital?!! No one is watching there and you can't convince me there was. Otherwise, if that was the case, then he didn't need to visit her. That storyline is just so overly ridiculous I don't know what they're trying to accomplish with it. Why would the audience just "forget" the last 4 episodes of events that went on with Carrie and just accept she's now with Saul?

Carrie completely trusts Saul's judgement, but even she was tested by the depths he went to foster this operation. Why is that diffficult to understand?

Better the enemy you know, than the ones you don't i.e. The 'contractors'

• Like 1

Carrie completely trusts Saul's judgement, but even she was tested by the depths he went to foster this operation. Why is that diffficult to understand?

Better the enemy you know, than the ones you don't i.e. The 'contractors'

I agree with this. Carrie might have know what might have happened but being in the hospital might have been too much for her.