How all Guns N' Roses fans are suffering from the Jar Jar Binks Effect.

Kaneda

It's a demo,

and that's part of the problem when there's leaks. We've all made a judgement on a version of a song that isn't meant to be heard in is current state. I like the demo, it has a lot of potential, but Im not gonna say the song sucks when is not finished.Same goes for the leaks that occurred prior to CD coming out.

Prior to the internet, very few people would get the chance to hear demos before the finished song. So the majority heard the songs the way the artist meant the songs to be heard and could then make a fair judgement on the songs, judging a demo isnt fair to the artist. Wait until the final product.

I disagree. The chords are in place. The vocals/lyrics are in place. The guitars are in place. All of the other instruments are in place. The sound quality is fair-good. The only difference that I can potentially conceive of happening, between a Going Down demo and a Going Down 'finished product', is W. Axl Rose fucking the demo up the arse by adding a load of loops and overdubs.

I think we can safetly and fairly assess Going Down based on what we possess.

Completely agree, I think Going Down is right where it's at. No need of a "finished product"

I happen to really enjoy the song. It's not the best thing ever, but after that worthless "Blood in the water" and that interview with Pitman, Going Down brought my hopes up just a little...

Edited by Gia

I agree that Going Down is nothing special. But your idea that the magic is gone from this band is just as deluded as thinking that Going Down is a masterpiece. Just accept the fact that you don't know what the future holds for GNR. You don't know it and I don't know it. Who knows, maybe the greatest songs are yet to be released... Or maybe not. We don't know, so accept it.

All we know is that many of the unreleased songs are considered big guns. We know that November Rain, You Could Be Mine and Don't Cry were not put on AFD, but saved for later. That's why we know that Axl tends to save big guns for later. And every logical person knows that Chinese Democracy was doomed before it was even released. It could never have lived up to the hype. So what would have been the point in putting all your best songs on an album that was doomed, no matter how good it was.

The only good decision that Axl could possibly have made, is to save big guns for later, so that he can release a great record later that won't have the burden of Chinese Democracy. A record that would be judged only because of the music and nothing else. Only a blind fool would have put all the big guns on a doomed record. I don't think Axl is THAT stupid.

I respectfully disagree.

It seems like a huge stretch to compare what a "new" band does with their first album, compared to what a 50-year-old established singer does on a comeback album, when he doesn't plan to release a follow up for who knows how many years. Your analogy is like saying "Well, when he was a freshman in college he would stay up for days partying. So now, even as a 50-year-old man with four kids and an office job, he is still going to go out drinking and doing drugs and stay up for 3 days straight."

The circumstances with Appetite and CD are 100% different. So to compare the two times is ridiculous.

Using your logic, Axl also put out 4 albums in 5 years. So that means that Axl is going to do the same thing now. Right??????

And no.

CD was not a guaranted failure by any means.

Axl had the opportunity to take over the rock world again. But unfortunately, the music world wasn't blown away by it.

And if Axl feels like he has to save songs to release them 10-15 years later.......are you saying that the man isn't capable of writing good songs anymore? "OK boys, here is this amazing song that we've completed today - July 7th, 2003. We aren't going to put it on the next album though. We're gonna save it until 2016.".............followed by "DJ and BBF, I know you guys want to write and create new GnR music. But I've got these songs that are a decade old that we are gonna put on the next ablum. You guys start writing songs today, and I promise you we'll put them on the 2025 album." SEE how crazy that sounds???

Instead of just defending and making excuses for everything Axl does, why not just look at all these situations logically.

It's a demo,

and that's part of the problem when there's leaks. We've all made a judgement on a version of a song that isn't meant to be heard in is current state. I like the demo, it has a lot of potentiapoeticall, but Im not gonna say the song sucks when is not finished.Same goes for the leaks that occurred prior to CD coming out.

Prior to the internet, very few people would get the chance to hear demos before the finished song. So the majority heard the songs the way the artist meant the songs to be heard and could then make a fair judgement on the songs, judging a demo isnt fair to the artist. Wait until the final product.

I disagree. The chords are in place. The vocals/lyrics are in place. The guitars are in place. All of the other instruments are in place. The sound quality is fair-good. The only difference that I can potentially conceive of happening, between a Going Down demo and a Going Down 'finished product', is W. Axl Rose fucking the demo up the arse by adding a load of loops and overdubs.

I think we can safetly and fairly assess Going Down based on what we possess.

Yeah its ok to judge it as it is, just don't accept that this is it, is all I'm trying to say.

As we all know the band once turned an acoustic guitar and Axls vocal demo into November Rain on UYI, quite the contrast and an extreme case but the point is its not fair to judge an incomplete song that's not of our making.

This seems like a good place to ask this:

Why is it that among GN'R fans, it seems to be frowned upon to be anything but extreme. For me, I don't like DJ's Better, I do like Ron's and I'm luke warm on Going Down (so far). But a large group of fans seem to want to force the issue that you must either love or hate it all.

Simple. This band has created nothing but polarized fans. There is no middle ground anymore. When GNR was releasing hits, there weren't many people disputing the quality of the material. People might have hated the band's behavior or the prima dona nature of their lead, but the music was undeniably amazing. Like all of America LOVED November Rain. Now you have nothing but debates as to how good a song, like TIL is...simply because America won't settle the debate because America just doesn't care anymore. That's what hits do, they give you undeniable proof that the masses think it's a hit...hard to argue with numbers.

• Like 1

I agree that Going Down is nothing special. But your idea that the magic is gone from this band is just as deluded as thinking that Going Down is a masterpiece. Just accept the fact that you don't know what the future holds for GNR. You don't know it and I don't know it. Who knows, maybe the greatest songs are yet to be released... Or maybe not. We don't know, so accept it.

All we know is that many of the unreleased songs are considered big guns. We know that November Rain, You Could Be Mine and Don't Cry were not put on AFD, but saved for later. That's why we know that Axl tends to save big guns for later. And every logical person knows that Chinese Democracy was doomed before it was even released. It could never have lived up to the hype. So what would have been the point in putting all your best songs on an album that was doomed, no matter how good it was.

The only good decision that Axl could possibly have made, is to save big guns for later, so that he can release a great record later that won't have the burden of Chinese Democracy. A record that would be judged only because of the music and nothing else. Only a blind fool would have put all the big guns on a doomed record. I don't think Axl is THAT stupid.

They weren't SAVED FOR LATER, they were left off because they would have totally ruined the vibe of the album. Appetite is perfect. Imagine a 10 minute long piano song in the middle of that album. Your theory is flawed. Axl and Co wrote LOTS OF HITS back in the day, but even without November, Don't Cry and YCBM, Appetite had TONS of hits on it...it didn't have a bad song on it...and the album, well, it's a classic. So if Chinese D had more hits, had some mainstream appeal, spawned some magic, then yes, you could conclude that the other material written during that era could be equally as good or even better. But since that never happened, how could you conclude that the material is better? It's like a piece of meat...we're just not cutting tracks off of the filet anymore, it's more like a skirt steak now. Still good, but no filet.

Star Wars isnt a masterpiece though, its drivel. Its for Kids, and so is Pahtom menace, but not 30 year old kids. They didnt make it for nerds.

Whereas Axl made the record for himself, a 30-40 year old coming to terms with his life like so many of us who didnt become astronauts.

But i get your point in concept. Axl needs to hit what his fans want. The problem they only did what they wanted back in the day. Slash n Izzy felt it was necessary to drop GNR to retain that freedom. Axl seems to like a fight.

Axl is an Artist, George is a hack.

Axl needs to become a hack, George needs to make a real movie instead of a toyetic advert.

let's not compare appetite to going down.

the guys knew what they were doing when they made appetite.

duff/steve were going for sly stone grooves

axl was going for early skynard

izzy provided the keefness

slash brought his inner hendrix/perry

the production was tight, and dangerous

it became big because of sweet child, and mtv rotating the hell out of it.

regardless, it's still a classic rock record.

some would even say the blueprint of how hard rock should be.

honestly. there are so many records.

raw power

cheap trick

appetite

rated-r

paranoid

rocks

exile

back in black

appetite is definitely top shelf. if only for it's so easy. if there was ever a song that epitomized that record, it's ise. duff/steve really pull it off on that one.

Guns N' Roses fans (me included) are now all suffering from something I like to call the Jar Jar Binks Effect. The Jar Jar Binks Effect offcurs when you are unable to see the world objectively. When your expectations and pride combine to form a spell that washes over your judgement and you are unable to see the true merits of things. And when you experience the Jar Jar Binks Effect, you don't listen to people around you. You think what you're experiencing is great, what you're creating is great, what you're hearing is great, and no matter what anyone else says, you are convinced of your own belief. The first documented case of the Jar Jar Binks Effect occured on the set of Star Wars. It afflicted George Lucas. He thought Jar Jar Binks was a good idea. And just imagine the thousands of people around him who had to witness the creation of Jar Jar. None of them were able to step in and convince George that maybe he wasn't that good. That maybe Jar Jar was total shit and would ruin the movie. But George, being George, turned these people off, or even worse, created an impossible environment for people to give him real feedback / help. For who was some peon to tell George Lucas what would work. And so the Jar Jar Effect was born.

George Lucas, the creator of the Jar Jar Binks effect is very similar to a Mr. W. Axl Rose. Both men created masterpieces. Both men made their best work young. Both men's art spawned millions of fans around the world. And both men have been very unsuccessful in their attempts to recapture their past glory. And fans of each will swear, if given enough tries, each man is still capable of magic. But that has yet to be seen.

I write this post because of one thing - people claiming Going Down is one of the greatest songs GNR has ever written. This is a result of the Jar Jar Binks Effect. This song is neither bad or great, it's just average. Turn off the fact that it came from GNR. Turn off Axl's background vocals and ask yourself, if you listened to this song objectively, without knowing where it came from, would you get that excited? But then it happens...your mind, which has spent decades defending GNR and Axl's ability to friends/family, turns on the only defense mechanism it knows - TO OVERTLY CLAIM ANYTHING COMING FROM GUNS IS GREAT.

The only remedy for the Jar Jar Binks effect is to accept, once and for all, that it's over. The magic is gone. Not gone from this world, just gone from this band. The biggest mistake GNR fans make is waiting around for a new magical moment...this wait not only emotionally freezes them from the ability to enjoy where the real magic is happening these days (with other artists), but it's also a huge collosal waste of time.

Now threads are popping up about Atlas Shrugged and all of the material that didn't make it onto CD. Now a logical person would say the songs that didn't make the cut aren't as good as the ones that did. Axl knew he needed CD to make a huge impact, no way his best guns were left for rounds 2 and 3. And we got his best and for many of us, it was really good. Sure not as good as the band we grew up with. Not as good as old Guns, but it was a really solid album that has aged well. But now fans sensing that there in for another long wait for material are letting the Jar Jar Effect take hold...bold statements are flying about how the unreleased material is going to be great. How they'll hear it soon. How some magic is out there if only we knew how to find it.

I used to come on this board every day, excited to talk about the music and the future of this band. But back then (circa 2002-2008) there was real excitement to discuss. Axl looked young and eager...there was promise. Now, the whole operation feels fatigued and bloated. Sure they still put on a great live show and I'll always catch one when I can. But what else is there to look forward to.

It all comes down to this. Magic can't be orchestrated. All of the millions pumped into Chinese D has not produced one song that even comes close to the song Axl and West Arkeen wrote sitting in a dive bar....Yesterday's got nothing for me, old pictures that I'll always see, time just fades the pages in my book of memories...

Kaneda

Messsa liksa Goin Downsa..foolss who diggsa fakey Guns are sillyand usually wayssssaaaa outta touch withh he man rocky and rollsa and likesa sissy bitch music liksa TIl.

Seriously though..Phantom Menace totally shit all over Star Wars and its legacy and the same could be said and SHOULD be said loud and clearly...CD shit all over the GNR legacy as well. Ten minutes into Phantom Menace you knew George Lucas was exhausted for relevant and fresh ideas and the same was true of Axl and CD. All they had was the past to draw on

It was Easy that really stood out for me from AFD, other songs sound a bit like other bands but I'd never heard anything like It's So Easy before. Granted I hadn't listen to much before AFD, maybe Like a Prayer and Hysteria.

I think maybe AFD has become the blueprint that people look at now.

They weird thing is something in AFD's sound lies in thrash. It could hold it's own against Metallica and Megadeth, and was much heavier than Crue etc.

This is kind of going off at a tangent, but does anyone think Dr Feelgood and Pump/Love in an Elevator, those particular songs were a response from Crue and Aero to Jungle and AFD. The structure of both songs seems very like Jungle. It's like they heard GNR and thought shit we need to go bigger and heavier.

They weren't SAVED FOR LATER, they were left off because they would have totally ruined the vibe of the album. Appetite is perfect. Imagine a 10 minute long piano song in the middle of that album. Your theory is flawed. Axl and Co wrote LOTS OF HITS back in the day, but even without November, Don't Cry and YCBM, Appetite had TONS of hits on it...it didn't have a bad song on it...and the album, well, it's a classic. So if Chinese D had more hits, had some mainstream appeal, spawned some magic, then yes, you could conclude that the other material written during that era could be equally as good or even better. But since that never happened, how could you conclude that the material is better? It's like a piece of meat...we're just not cutting tracks off of the filet anymore, it's more like a skirt steak now. Still good, but no filet.

Potato, Potathto! Basically it's the same thing, to save stuff for later, or leave songs out of the album cause they don't fit the record. I think everyone would agree that Going Down would not have fit Chinese Democracy. It would have ruined the vibe of the album, like you say. After hearing the intro, I don't think The General would have fit either. There's probably lots of great meterial that just didn't fit CD.

Appetite is a classic album and had lots of great songs, but it also had songs that could be considered filler. At least Anything Goes and perhaps Think About You. Some would consider You're Crazy and My Michelle filler too. Does Chinese Democracy have more filler stuff than Appetite? Dunno... Depends on who you ask. I think on this message board Scraped and Riad are considered the worst songs. I would add If The World and Madagascar into that bunch. That would mean there's 4 filler songs on CD, just as many as on Appetite. But then again some people like ITW and Madagascar the most, so it really depends on who you ask. Same thing with Appetite.

Anyway I really don't get your point? The unreleased material can't be as good or better than anything on CD because...? The album wasn''t commercially succesfull enough? What the hell has that to do with anything? Besides CD wasn't promoted. There was no music videos. Plus when Appetite was released the world wasn't full of people who hate Axl Rose. Appetite was judged based on the music. Chinese Democracy reviews hardly focused on the music at all. The reviews were full of "no Slash" "It took 14 years to create" "doesn't sound like Appetite" bullshit. So yeah, things like that obviously affected the commecial success of CD.

But nevertheless, why on earth can't the unreleased songs be as good or better as the stuff on Chinese Democracy? Why would Axl have put all his best songs on an album that he knew was doomed no matter how good it was?

Potato, Potathto! Basically it's the same thing, to save stuff for later, or leave songs out of the album cause they don't fit the record. I think everyone would agree that Going Down would not have fit Chinese Democracy. It would have ruined the vibe of the album, like you say. After hearing the intro, I don't think The General would have fit either. There's probably lots of great meterial that just didn't fit CD.

Appetite is a classic album and had lots of great songs, but it also had songs that could be considered filler. At least Anything Goes and perhaps Think About You. Some would consider You're Crazy and My Michelle filler too. Does Chinese Democracy have more filler stuff than Appetite? Dunno... Depends on who you ask. I think on this message board Scraped and Riad are considered the worst songs. I would add If The World and Madagascar into that bunch. That would mean there's 4 filler songs on CD, just as many as on Appetite. But then again some people like ITW and Madagascar the most, so it really depends on who you ask. Same thing with Appetite.

Anyway I really don't get your point? The unreleased material can't be as good or better than anything on CD because...? The album wasn''t commercially succesfull enough? What the hell has that to do with anything? Besides CD wasn't promoted. There was no music videos. Plus when Appetite was released the world wasn't full of people who hate Axl Rose. Appetite was judged based on the music. Chinese Democracy reviews hardly focused on the music at all. The reviews were full of "no Slash" "It took 14 years to create" "doesn't sound like Appetite" bullshit. So yeah, things like that obviously affected the commecial success of CD.

But nevertheless, why on earth can't the unreleased songs be as good or better as the stuff on Chinese Democracy? Why would Axl have put all his best songs on an album that he knew was doomed no matter how good it was?

Look, anything is possible. But in this case, I think we need to face the facts that are on the table. The chances that there are songs unheard that will be amazing feels slim man. Look, nobody wants to be wrong more than me, but until I hear something to prove me wrong, I have to go with what we know.

I love and still listen to CD everyday. More than I can listen to AFD or UYI material. I'm 36 and something about the songs / lyrics keeps me singing along. But, and this is a huge BUT...I feel the only people that love it are the ones who waited so long for it. I'm shocked when I talk to more casual Guns fans about the material and how violently opposed to it they are. Like many people said, "I listened to it once and it's crap." Shit...since we all waited and waited, deconstructed leaks over a period of 10 years, by the time it finally dropped, there was no choice for us but to embrace it. But for those who didn't have to accept it, they didn't.

To this day, the reason it didn't catch was simply no songs were written in the classic GNR anthem style...nothing you could bomp in bar or a stadium. Chinese D musically is there, but then the lyrics are about surviving in China...not exactly mainstream stuff here.

What Bumble and Gang want to do is enter the studio and make a GNR album that sounds like a GNR album. Love that Axl wants to move the music forward, but this was it and it kind of failed. So maybe now they go back and do what needs to be done. But that will never happen. There's no incentive. Sad but true.

Thank you! People claiming Going Down is a great song, a potential hit single, the best thing since YCBM seriously need to reevaluate the song.

No they don't. they simply need to listen to the Chinese Democracy album. Going Down is the best GnR song post Slash. I felt it the second I heard it. That's rock n roll not some artificial, synthetic produced gunk that was CD for the most part.

Look, anything is possible. But in this case, I think we need to face the facts that are on the table. The chances that there are songs unheard that will be amazing feels slim man. Look, nobody wants to be wrong more than me, but until I hear something to prove me wrong, I have to go with what we know.

Yep, anything's possible. Now give me some facts that support the theory that GNR doesn't have any unreleased big guns in the vault. Cause when I look at the facts that's on the table, I find quotes like this:

"Leave Me Alone," "Seven," and "The General" could also feature on the new album. These three A-listed songs were worked on by Marco Beltrami, especially "Seven," which Marco deems as the best of the three songs. It has also been reported that Marco worked on a fourth track, "Thyme." However, this song was not worked on subsequent to Marco's work in October 2002. (Jeff Leeds, Sp1at website, 06/05)

Hey Axl , whats your favourite song from either Chinese Democracy, or from an unreleased album?

The bridge in "Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul aka The Soul Monster (working title Leave Me Alone)" which will no doubt end up "Soul Monster".

I think it's r most Black Sabbath moment. Sang it on a Christmas eve. Imo the meanest section of anything I've sung to date.

Sebastian Bach: One of my favorite songs - I asked axl if I could mention the song titles and he said "fine"—and one of my favorite songs is this song called "the general" which is so, its by far the heaviest metal tune I think ive ever heard axl do, this slow grinding riff with these high peircing vocals, screaming vocals.

Chris: Yes, we did have a large collection of songs recorded through the years, and many I don't even remember now!

But to think of a favorite song right now as we speak, I would have to say its one called 'Beta's Barn'

On top of that we have actually heard some of the stuff. The parts that we've heard of Jackie Chan and The General sound very promising. In my opinion better than anything on CD1. Also Oh My God sounds better than most of Chinese Democracy. As far as I know Going Down is a B-side track, and even that song sounds better than the worst stuff on CD in my opinion. Many people like it more than anything on CD.

Atlas Shrugged has been praised a lot too and it was actually supposed to be on CD1. They had to cut it off on the last minute cause it was too long. Anyway I guess that kinda proves it's as good as the Chinese Democracy stuff.

So there's the facts. There seems to be a lot of great unreleased material out there. Or do you have some facts that suggests otherwise?

Edited by Lies They Tell

Yep, anything's possible. Now give me some facts that support the theory that GNR doesn't have any unreleased big guns in the vault. Cause when I look at the facts that's on the table, I find quotes like this:

"Leave Me Alone," "Seven," and "The General" could also feature on the new album. These three A-listed songs were worked on by Marco Beltrami, especially "Seven," which Marco deems as the best of the three songs. It has also been reported that Marco worked on a fourth track, "Thyme." However, this song was not worked on subsequent to Marco's work in October 2002. (Jeff Leeds, Sp1at website, 06/05)

Hey Axl , whats your favourite song from either Chinese Democracy, or from an unreleased album?

The bridge in "Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul aka The Soul Monster (working title Leave Me Alone)" which will no doubt end up "Soul Monster".

I think it's r most Black Sabbath moment. Sang it on a Christmas eve. Imo the meanest section of anything I've sung to date.

Sebastian Bach: One of my favorite songs - I asked axl if I could mention the song titles and he said "fine"—and one of my favorite songs is this song called "the general" which is so, its by far the heaviest metal tune I think ive ever heard axl do, this slow grinding riff with these high peircing vocals, screaming vocals.

Chris: Yes, we did have a large collection of songs recorded through the years, and many I don't even remember now!

But to think of a favorite song right now as we speak, I would have to say its one called 'Beta's Barn'

On top of that we have actually heard some of the stuff. The parts that we've heard of Jackie Chan and The General sound very promising. In my opinion better than anything on CD1. Also Oh My God sounds better than most of Chinese Democracy. As far as I know Going Down is a B-side track, and even that song sounds better than the worst stuff on CD in my opinion. Many people like it more than anything on CD.

Atlas Shrugged has been praised a lot too and it was actually supposed to be on CD1. They had to cut it off on the last minute cause it was too long. Anyway I guess that kinda proves it's as good as the Chinese Democracy stuff.

So there's the facts. There seems to be a lot of great unreleased material out there. Or do you have some facts that suggests otherwise?

Reading this makes me very sad. :( Not only will we probably never hear any of this, but it also keeps coming back being dangled in front of your nose just out of reach. For fucks sake... Edited by username

I think it just goes back to how long the album was delayed and not going through that a second time. When it's done, he'll just throw it out there when people aren't expecting it.

What people have said they heard are rough mixes and probably hear "potentially awesome" songs.

Give it 2 years...