Friends

ManetsBR

The problem with Friends as with so many other mediocre sitcoms is that there's no subtlety there and there simply needs to be in all good comedy. It takes you by the hand and spoon feeds you the jokes without ever having to get you to engage your brain. Seriously the setups are so obvious in 99% of cases that you see all the punchlines coming a mile off. Good comedy works well by making you think you're about to see one thing and then doing something completely different and unforeseen. The misdirection and element of surprise is the key to it; not lame catchphrases and canned laughter. :shrugs:

Edited by Dazey

The problem with Friends as with so many other mediocre sitcoms is that there's no subtlety there and there simply needs to be in all good comedy. It takes you by the hand and spoon feeds you the jokes without ever having to get you to engage your brain. Seriously the setups are so obvious in 99% of cases that you see all the punchlines coming a mile off. Good comedy works well by making you think you're about to see one thing and then doing something completely different and unforeseen. The misdirection and element of surprise is the key to it; not lame catchphrases and canned laughter. :shrugs:

Most sitcoms and comedies nowadays are lame, because either they rely on "shock value" ("oh how gross, so funny!") or they are totally predictable.

Something like Fawlty Towers is ages old, and even though I know every episode by heart, still remains insanely funny. They almost don't make them anymore like that.

Guest Len B'stard

No offence to anyone but i can't stand all that college boy bong culture. I dunno what it is with your Uni types and bongs...and all these different kinds of em, big ones, little ones, ones shaped like a pair of knockers or what have you...and fuck me, have you seen the cost of some of em?!?! You'd think the phrase 'oi bruv, got a rizla?!?!' never existed.

And, slight tangent, all these fuckin' Shisha gardens popping up everywhere, fucks all that about?!?! Sitting around like the fuckin' Sheikh of Araby smoking what amounts to an apple flavoured fag. 'its so cool man, you get all these flavoursss, it tastes like an apple, see, see?!?!', yeah, well if i'd've wanted a fuckin' Granny Smith i'd've gone and got one.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Billy Bong Thornton is off of Half Baked innit?

Yeah. We named our pipe "Wesley Pipes" which I also nicked from that film.

That was another one I've heard 'em use! Robbin' cunts!

Dazeys having a fuckin' epiphany here...OMG, my friends were nerds....nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :lol:

It's a film with Dave Chapelle about a bunch of lads who smoke a lot of gear, you should check it out, it's proper funny :) I really reccomend it.

You had me at "Dave Chapelle". Fucking love that guy! :)

Dazeys having a fuckin' epiphany here...OMG, my friends were nerds....nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :lol:

Well I've never really been a smoker so I don't know all this shite. :lol: Thought it was a bit clever for that lot! :lol:

Friends is the McDonalds of the sit-com world. The more you consumed, the worse you felt. It had it's redeeming qualities, but it's a show that will likely be forgotten in twenty-thirty years. Moreover, though it had a large following, it never shaped mainstream consciousness like a Seinfeld or Cheers had before it. It was simple, but a severely shallow show. It was completely devoid of any kind of social commentary which the truly great shows make all the time. It's fine for what it is (a simple, sometimes humorous show), but anyone who claims that Friends is the paragon of comedy television needs to have their head examined.

Edited by downzy

No offence to anyone but i can't stand all that college boy bong culture. I dunno what it is with your Uni types and bongs...and all these different kinds of em, big ones, little ones, ones shaped like a pair of knockers or what have you...and fuck me, have you seen the cost of some of em?!?! You'd think the phrase 'oi bruv, got a rizla?!?!' never existed.

Bong and pipe cost me a total of £25 and considering none of us could roll a joint worth a fuck when we started smoking, it proved to be a very good investment. I can see your point though. Paying 200 quid to inhale smoke through a piece of glass is retarded. I remember going in to the head shop one time and the fella in front of me was asking about one of those gas mask things. The guy behind the counter had to tell him the thing was basically useless because it just blew a pile of smoke in to your eyes.

It was great when it first came out. The first few years were must-see TV. But like a lot of other shows that last a long time, it wasn't that interesting anymore. Ross and Rachel get together, break up, get back together, break up.....etc..

But it was a really great show for awhile. No doubt about it.

It was great when it first came out. The first few years were must-see TV. But like a lot of other shows that last a long time, it wasn't that interesting anymore. Ross and Rachel get together, break up, get back together, break up.....etc..

But it was a really great show for awhile. No doubt about it.

There was a point where it seemed like they were throwing pairs of the "Friends" together because they just kind of ran out of things to do. I hated the Rachel/Joey story line for several reasons for example. I did end up loving the Chandler/Monica thing though.