Favourite studio Axl vocals? My pick: his work on Angel Down

Amir

I never thought he made a conscious choice to change his style between albums, regardless of what he claims in interviews about NR and such. I think his vocal chords got progressively more and more damaged. He sounds best on Lies, I think. I love the Illusions records - they're my favorites - but you can tell his voice needs more tweaking and effects. He's starting to get hoarse and lose his range. We listen to the Illusions tour so much we don't notice, but casual fans who listened to Axl live at that time were like, "WTF?".

Yeah, all the screaming from the Illusions tours certainly damaged his vocal cords. But I kinda disagree that it wasn't a conscious choice to change style. I think he was sort of developing his own voice and the more he played around with the low Tom Waits-esque rasp the more he found his own style. He was still hitting pretty high notes on the Illusions records. I think it was the tour more-so than the in-studio stuff where he got hoarse and the fact that he forced himself through the pain and didn't give himself time to recover was probably what fucked his throat up.

Anyway, even though he was straining himself, he sounded so intense, gritty and badass on the Illusions tour. Like, it may have permanently crippled his voice (or at least his ability to use the deep rasp), but it sounded so cool.

Yeah, he's basically just hoarsely screeching in that clip, but I love it.

You might be right. It's complete speculation on my part.

And don't get me wrong, I LOVE the way he sounded during the Illusions tour. He just sounded much different than on the albums, and it was jarring to some non-fanatics. I remember defending him in school after November Rain at the VMAs. Kids were being mean. :lol:

Edited by magisme

While I love his crazy vocals on the more hard edged stuff I think my favourite Axl moments are the softer stuff "Street of dreams, Estranged, This I love" My 2 favourite moments from him came on the Live era cds "Its alright" such a beautiful vocal! and the end of "Rocket queen" I can't help but rewind the end high note over and over again :D just amazing.

Edited by Tom2112

Coma, There Was A Time, Estranged, Breakdown, November Rain, Catcher, there are so many... But if i have to choose one then it has to be the outro of Coma. It's simply amazing.

fucking this, cant believe i didnt mention how amazing the outro to coma is. god damn that is good