Favourite studio Axl vocals? My pick: his work on Angel Down

Amir

Seriously, his vocals on these 3 tracks are amazing. Hope there's some ChiDem vault stuff recorded with this voice in 2007 that gets released one day:

1:50 on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxGsl5_Zp28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3GbKt_eN6s

Back In The Saddle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb16WsbEl5c

Edited by Amir

I actually really love the vocals on CD, but its Appetite for me. The anger, rawness, and energy make it my favorite even if he has higher and more impressive moments on UYI and CD.

My favorite Axl studio moment though is the screaming between solos on TWAT

It was his vocals on Madagascar that made me change from hating the guy's voice to becoming my favourite singer. I've come to love his vocals on AFD, but I prefer his richer voice on stuff like Maddy, TWAT, Sympathy for the Devil. Not necessarily lower-pitched, I love that high rasp, but like that bit at 1:50 on Stuck Inside. It's the same with me for Mike Patton, I loved hearing his voice on older Faith No More stuff on YouTube videos of the Download '09 show, that more mature voice.

Definitely too many to mention, but he was probably at his best during Lies-era. Acoustic You're Crazy is amazing. Also love the outro of Rocket Queen, and so much of the Illusions stuff ... Loved his performance on The Blues from Rio 2001, those chilling high vocals at the end ... Fantastic vocals on Catcher in the Rye as well.

Edited by axlsalinger

AFD
Lies
Some UYI moments are fine, but overall it's pretty sterilized for me...
and yeah TSI was great though
the only few guns studio moments which i consider great is TWAT and the last long scream in I.R.S. (and if Chinese Democracy's first scream was sustainable or "worked out" on the whole song, now that would be a hit!)

Angel Down wasnt way over produced like Chinese democracy. Axl went in, laid em down, prob in one session, and left. His voice sounded great during the time period, but I do think the sound of the final release has alot to do with the way the songs were recorded/produced.

I've said this before, but I think it's funny how Appetite is the defining GN'R album yet Axl's defining vocals (the kind you often hear when people imitate him, etc.) really didn't come into play til Lies and especially on Illusions. Appetite was a little more high-pitched whining but he went for the deeper, raspier growl and nasally falsetto on other albums. If you play Appetite and move right on to Lies' acoustic tracks it doesn't even really sound like the same singer at first.

I'm assuming he probably started having professional vocal training after becoming famous from Appetite. Part of it may also just be the mastering process (wasn't Appetite sped-up a bit so his vocals sounded higher than they really were?) Who knows, I guess. A lot of his voice regardless of any training he may have had just seems natural, though. He's such a distinct singer. For me, as much as the album wasn't their best, Spaghetti was kind of the peak of Axl's unique vocal style, where all his trademarks were in place on every track. I think when his voice changed again and he came back with Chinese Democracy he lost a little bit of the depth, even when he does the rasp on songs like Better it's not quite the same, but all through the years, all through his different singing styles, I've always admired different things and aspects, so I don't really have a singular, favourite performance.

It's weird, if you listen to The Blues from Rock in Rio 3 it's one of the most beautiful vocal performances yet it really sounds nothing like the guy singing Patience. Even when you compare the studio cuts of songs like SCOM and PC to the live renditions he sounds very different. So it's hard to point a finger at a specific one.

Angel Down is an unreal record, especially for those three tracks. Baz was on top of his game, and brought out the best in Uncle Axl too. Favorite single moment is where he kicks from low register to high register in Civil War. Especially being there at the Philly UCAP show, that intensity...fucking mind blowing

I never thought he made a conscious choice to change his style between albums, regardless of what he claims in interviews about NR and such. I think his vocal chords got progressively more and more damaged. He sounds best on Lies, I think. I love the Illusions records - they're my favorites - but you can tell his voice needs more tweaking and effects. He's starting to get hoarse and lose his range. We listen to the Illusions tour so much we don't notice, but casual fans who listened to Axl live at that time were like, "WTF?".