Slash badmouthing Axl in the press - questions...

Estranged Reality

This is a really interesting and complicated subject. I remember reading lots of negative stuff that Slash said about Axl throughout the years. A lot of the stuff was from random magazines so I can't find some of the quotes and can't be 100% sure if all of it was legitimate stuff or if the media was just twisting Slash's words. Anyway, Axl always seemed like the good guy to me, because he never said bad things about the ex-members even though they talked about him in a negative way. Of course then after many years Axl said the cancer comment.

Now many people view Axl as the mean one, which is weird because for so many years he was the mature one who didn't badmouth the others.

Anyway, I think the reason why Axl hates Slash so much is because Slash was the one who started the public war between the two long before the breakup of GNR. Slash was the one who started talking to the media about the problems that he has with Axl. I don't think Slash meant any harm, but he kinda gave people the impression that Axl is the reason for all the problems in GNR. And when Axl talked to him about his vision for the next GNR record, Slash goes ahead and tells everything to the media in a negative way. I mean WTF is up with that? IMO those are things that should be discussed inside the band, not publicly.

I can understand why Axl felt that Slash was trying to turn the public against him.

The only way Axl could have defended himself would've been if he had started to talk negative stuff about Slash publicly. I guess he didn't want to do it. So the public only heard Slash's side of the story and that's why Axl started to hate Slash.

Seems like Slash made every problem he had with Axl public. Like when Axl turned down the Snakepit songs and then a couple of weeks later he wanted to work on some of the songs but it was already too late. And according to Axl that was a lie too. Axl says he had no problems working on it. The problem was that he wasn't allowed to be any part of it: "I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off."

Then there's of course the bitching about the late starting shows. They had no problems with it when they were in the band. But after they left the band they started whining about how wrong it was. Like Duff said: Nobody ever stated to Axl how much we resented going on late or having him stop shows

Well why didn't they? It's not exactly fair to bitch about it later behind his back, if you acted like nothing was wrong when you were still in the band.

And then there's the claim that Axl forced the other members to sign over the GNR rights to him. And the talk about him being a dictator and stuff like that. And it probably didn't help that VR made fun of Axl's GNR: http://www.chinesedemocracy.com/forum/index.php?topic=45338.0

Overall I do understand why Axl feels the way he does towards Slash. But I don't think Slash ever meant any harm when spoke stuff publicly. Mostly I blame media. Media wanted to stir the fight between Axl and Slash.

We have to remember that for the Defenders of Axl anything that is remotely critical or revealing of thier hero is considered bad mouthing....

I have heard far more shit out of Axl mouth concerning his "former friends" and with absolute acidic tounge than I have heard them say about Axl.

I was thinking about Axl in that video he did with fans where he was telling about Slashes drinking and pissing himself and him ending up with all the girls.....seemed kind of low to me that he just dont let it go and let it be. THinking about his rants on stage in Albany and him refering to Slash as a cancer...and even went so far as to take a swing at his followers as well...

So that's it? Speculation that some terrible stuff was said at some point that nobody knows about?

I still think it was beta exaggerating and spinning shit and making a pretty normal occurrence like a band breaking up far more cataclysmic for the emotionally fragile axl. if slash talked half the shit axl did, axl would have killed himself by now.

We have to remember that for the Defenders of Axl anything that is remotely critical or revealing of thier hero is considered bad mouthing....

Well, I personally think that if you have problems with your bandmate, you don't go and talk about it to the media. You should talk with your bandmate instead. It's like with any relationship. In a marriage you should talk things through with your wife/husband, instead of complaining about him/her to your friends. As far as I know Axl didn't criticize Slash publicly until Slash had been criticizing him publicly for years.

Edited by Lies They Tell

HOF was another example of how they could cleared the air but chose to throw Axl under the bus. Slash could have worked to get current Guns to play. Share the stage.

They had no business being there, they weren't the inductees. I hated the fact that Heart played the next year with the classic lineup, which sounded amazing. But it was only one song, and they then left the stage, the current hired hands came on and butchered Barracuda.

I think bumblefoot has talked more shit about axl in public than slash has. Remember when he said gnr was going to be a bar mitzvah band before too long? I think that was around the Russian private wedding gig, when bbf was complaining about having last minute shows added endangered the crews' lives. Or something like that.

Trying to figure the reasoning behind Axls grudge is pointless... nobody knows! slash thinks he knows... if Slash only thinks he knows what hope do we have? the whole thing has to go deeper than a few snotty comments in the press. Behind the scenes it had to have got messy, I can't see any other reason for Axl to still hold on to such bitter feelings towards Slash.

Also, Axl had a point in his chat, yes he had one or two valid points :) ...just because a number or people tell you the same story, it doesn't make it true. I'm not saying I buy it, but I'm also saying for "fans" to hate Slash or Axl is crazy as we don't know what is and isn't true, we don't know anything... we certainly think we do though :)

REMEMBER AXL TOLD USA TODAY: SLASH SAID U ARE A LOOSER, YOU CANT DO ANYTHING BLAH BLAH

No need for caplock..

Even if he said that, it was in private. In private Slash can say anything he wants to Axl. Except I don't even believe Axl. The guys couldn't even tell him to go on time on the stage, they were scared of his reaction or whatever, yet all of a sudden they could say in his face that he's a loser and an idiot? I really doubt that. I think Axl likes to rewrite history and make himself a victim.

I'm sure Slash has done more than his fair share to cause the rift between them. He has done a much better job in the media though, and comes across and someone that is much more credible. Axl has always been so unreliable and hard to like. I've always been a bigger Axl fan than Slash, but I have to admit, he needs to let this go. I really felt he should of showed up at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame and at least shook hands and took a bow with the band mates that made it happen. It would have been great PR, and made Axl look like the better person instead of the ass.

I've read a few interviews over the past 10yrs and he's had a few choice words about his time with the band and Axl but I couldn't find them on the internet, It was mostly from Rocksound, Metalhammer or classic rock... I'm sure it's archived somewhere. I know Axl didn't like slash's book.

he probably didn't like this either

Velvet+Revolver+Halloween.jpg

HOF was another example of how they could cleared the air but chose to throw Axl under the bus. Slash could have worked to get current Guns to play. Share the stage.

They had no business being there, they weren't the inductees. I hated the fact that Heart played the next year with the classic lineup, which sounded amazing. But it was only one song, and they then left the stage, the current hired hands came on and butchered Barracuda.
it would have been a good gesture and could have led to a better chance of reunion. It reinforced the scenario that they themselves have admitted isnt really true. Duff has anyway. Its just an example of how they keep that story running. thats not what grown ups do.

In this case it could have been a resolution to the end the war. Who cares if the butchered Scom, which they wouldnt.

I've read a few interviews over the past 10yrs and he's had a few choice words about his time with the band and Axl but I couldn't find them on the internet, It was mostly from Rocksound, Metalhammer or classic rock... I'm sure it's archived somewhere. I know Axl didn't like slash's book.

That person really looks like Duff!

Who ever would have thought that Duff would look like Duff?

it would have been a good gesture and could have led to a better chance of reunion. It reinforced the scenario that they themselves have admitted isnt really true. Duff has anyway. Its just an example of how they keep that story running. thats not what grown ups do.

In this case it could have been a resolution to the end the war. Who cares if the butchered Scom, which they wouldnt.

Thats true, but they should do that on their own time, not when Guns N Roses is getting honored. They were getting honored for stuff that new Guns has had nothing to do with, aside from keeping it out there which it already would have been without them. I'm not against all the members of old and new Guns sharing the stage, but it shouldn't be at a junction when very specifically the people that made the music are being honored. It made literally zero sense for new Guns to be there, and even if it was a nice gesture for the old guys to invite them, there would be no reason for it. Brian Johnson furthered the legacy of AC/DC. He deserves to be inducted with them. Its not really their fault, but people like Richard Fortus haven't been given the opportunity to further the legacy of Guns N Roses so they shouldn't be honored as if they have.

I don't get it. Whats it a picture of? I thought maybe it was a bunch of people dressed up as Guns N Roses so I thought it was someone being Duff. I don't get what the picture is or why Izzy would be upset about it.

Thats true, but they should do that on their own time, not when Guns N Roses is getting honored. They were getting honored for stuff that new Guns has had nothing to do with, aside from keeping it out there which it already would have been without them. I'm not against all the members of old and new Guns sharing the stage, but it shouldn't be at a junction when very specifically the people that made the music are being honored. It made literally zero sense for new Guns to be there, and even if it was a nice gesture for the old guys to invite them, there would be no reason for it. Brian Johnson furthered the legacy of AC/DC. He deserves to be inducted with them. Its not really their fault, but people like Richard Fortus haven't been given the opportunity to further the legacy of Guns N Roses so they shouldn't be honored as if they have.

I don't get it. Whats it a picture of? I thought maybe it was a bunch of people dressed up as Guns N Roses so I thought it was someone being Duff. I don't get what the picture is or why Izzy would be upset about it.

It's VR dressed up as GN'R. Slash is Bucket, Weiland is Axl and I think Duff is Pittman.

Not sure why Izzy would be upset though.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

It's VR dressed up as GN'R. Slash is Bucket, Weiland is Axl and I think Duff is Pittman.

Not sure why Izzy would be upset though.

Tom2112 said axl would be upset, not izzy

Cough,

In high school, you know, Axl, he had long, red hair, he was a little guy and he got a lot of shit (because of it). I think he never got laid too, in school. I hate to bring this up cos this is getting nasty...but he never got no pussy at school, Axl. So now the guy's a big fucking rock star, he's got chicks lined up, he's got money and he's got people...and the power went to this guy's head. I mean, he was a fucking monster! Nuts! Crazy!

Izzy Stradlin, Classic Rock, June 2001.

Terrible example. Because Izzy is the only one who can get away with saying anything about Axl and Axl will still love him. Izzy saying something is not like Slash, Duff, Steven or Matt saying something.

Either this must be the case, or, Axl has not seen that interviewed. I do not think however that anyone here was not surprised when Stradlin returned to the fold in 2006.

Returning to the central debate, the notion that 'Slash bad-mouthed Axl constantly, circa 1994 onwards' is a piece of fiction; it is a myth that has been fabricated by the Axl lobby and it has unfortunately gained a sort of common currency just because the Axl lobby have been so persistent in repeating the myth. Anyone who has kept even moderately on top of Slash's media activity will know that Slash has not said anything remotely offensive about his former bandmate. I say this as one who has read/viewed (and still has in my possession) thousands of Slash interviews.

Axl needs to grow a pair and ‘man up‘. It is the same thing with Marc’s book.

I was using it as an example of how they really haven't done nothing to help Axl defuse the public's perception. It's maybe not the best example, but it's clear. They were happy to let Axl take the fall and them take all the accolades. With Adler weighing in inappropriately. And the main reason Axl wasn't there is because they wouldn't allow the current line up to play or be there. It was set up to negate all Axl's efforts post-split. Obviously because that's where the money is for all those in the industry. and that's fair enough from an idustry point of view but to see the old guys take part was sickening.

I personally think CD line ups have furthered the legacy. CD is a great addition to the GNR legacy. And you think they would have been inducted so quickly if Axl hadn't been touring since 2000 or the whole possibility of a the HOF getting the reunion to happen for their awards show? Did Axl keep GNR going so that people could make money off selling old rope, I don't think so?

That's the whole point, it's the unwillingness to accept that they quit and GNR continued without them, for what 20 years? When it comes down to it they defer to the easiest music industry route to make themselves look good but at the same time not really helping any chances of reunion and continuing to perpetuate the lies they've been peddling forever.

They are living in the past and profiting from that nostalgia aspect. Meanwhile Axl tries to evolve the band and is continuously haunted by the past or this media construct of the past.

That's why the feud still stands. But it's probably better to move on and pretend it doesn't exist. Nothing will change in that regard and it's a dead end artistically and musically for all involved even if they think it would be great because it would be based on lies and the worser aspects of human beings.

Edited by wasted