Slash badmouthing Axl in the press - questions...

Estranged Reality

I thought it was interesting to read part of the icp book where they reference when they worked with slash. he trashed axl to them and who knows how many other people in the industry. maybe someone can dig up the part of the book, it's an interesting read.

Valiant effort, but we've tried this before, ER. The anti-Slash brigade never comes up with anything. :shrugs:

Actually, I have answered it many times before.

http://www.a-4-d.com/t90-axl-rose

Go through and pick your own worst. Not saying there's anything majorly bad, but there are a lot of things that Axl probably took very personally.

OK. It's late and I'm tired, I can't read it all, but I went through a decent amount, and there's really nothing there. There was one quote I saw about how Axl's disrespect was corroding the band or something, but that was it. Everything else amounts to, "Yeah, he's crazy and hard to deal with, but I love him and he's an incredible frontman."

That's why Slash is a cancer? That's why Axl is the fuckin' Serpico? That's why Axl had 15 years of his life stolen from him? That's why Beta leaves Bar Mitzvah's and turns Slash away when he's extending an olive branch? That's why Slash is in Axl's ass?

Seriously, there's no debate to be had here. Slash said nothing worse about Axl than what we all say about our loved one's every day of our fucking lives. Axl is a straight lunatic for harboring the resentment and bitterness that he does. End of story.

Valiant effort, but we've tried this before, ER. The anti-Slash brigade never comes up with anything. :shrugs:

Go through and pick your own worst. Not saying there's anything majorly bad, but there are a lot of things that Axl probably took very personally.

OK. It's late and I'm tired, I can't read it all, but I went through a decent amount, and there's really nothing there. There was one quote I saw about how Axl's disrespect was corroding the band or something, but that was it. Everything else amounts to, "Yeah, he's crazy and hard to deal with, but I love him and he's an incredible frontman."

That's why Slash is a cancer? That's why Axl is the fuckin' Serpico? That's why Axl had 15 years of his life stolen from him? That's why Beta leaves Bar Mitzvah's and turns Slash away when he's extending an olive branch? That's why Slash is in Axl's ass?

Seriously, there's no debate to be had here. Slash said nothing worse about Axl than what we all say about our loved one's every day of our fucking lives. Axl is a straight lunatic for harboring the resentment and bitterness that he does. End of story.

Yeah, really none of the ex-members have said anything terribly shocking or demeaning about Axl, at least nothing that would warrant the sort of reaction Axl has exibited over the years. Bands that are still together have talked way more shit about eachother publically than GNR ever did.

Either Axl's hatred for Slash is totally misguided and blown out of proportion or it has nothing to do with anything Slash has said publicly about GNR or Axl.

Really I think Axl just hates Slash because he was such an important part of the band and he left it to go do other things, he strongly resents him for making success significantly more difficult for himself and "GNR" to achieve.

• Like 2

I think Axl's antipathy against Slash has more to do with the special relationship that existed between them and that Axl felt abandoned by Slash, than with numerous things Slash said. That being said, there were a few interviews where Slash took a rather passive-aggressive stance towards Axl and barely succeeded at suppressing his scorn and resentment. Axl remembers such things and they make take a larger place in his consciousness than what is good or fair.

That being said, there were a few interviews where Slash took a rather passive-aggressive stance towards Axl and barely succeeded at suppressing his scorn and resentment. Axl remembers such things and they make take a larger place in his consciousness than what is good or fair.

Where?! Thats all we're asking.

Just go through the quotes DamnSmooth linked to.

That being said, there were a few interviews where Slash took a rather passive-aggressive stance towards Axl and barely succeeded at suppressing his scorn and resentment. Axl remembers such things and they make take a larger place in his consciousness than what is good or fair.

I don't have time to read through all of them, and honestly the ones I have read through have been nothing but complimentary. If you think there are a bunch that are applicable, copy and paste them. Otherwise, it seems like you're just saying something someone else said without any evidence.

• Like 1

Yeah, really none of the ex-members have said anything terribly shocking or demeaning about Axl, at least nothing that would warrant the sort of reaction Axl has exibited over the years. Bands that are still together have talked way more shit about eachother publically than GNR ever did.

Cough,

In high school, you know, Axl, he had long, red hair, he was a little guy and he got a lot of shit (because of it). I think he never got laid too, in school. I hate to bring this up cos this is getting nasty...but he never got no pussy at school, Axl. So now the guy's a big fucking rock star, he's got chicks lined up, he's got money and he's got people...and the power went to this guy's head. I mean, he was a fucking monster! Nuts! Crazy!

Izzy Stradlin, Classic Rock, June 2001.

Cough,

In high school, you know, Axl, he had long, red hair, he was a little guy and he got a lot of shit (because of it). I think he never got laid too, in school. I hate to bring this up cos this is getting nasty...but he never got no pussy at school, Axl. So now the guy's a big fucking rock star, he's got chicks lined up, he's got money and he's got people...and the power went to this guy's head. I mean, he was a fucking monster! Nuts! Crazy!

Izzy Stradlin, Classic Rock, June 2001.

Terrible example. Because Izzy is the only one who can get away with saying anything about Axl and Axl will still love him. Izzy saying something is not like Slash, Duff, Steven or Matt saying something.

[....]HOF was another example of how they could cleared the air but chose to throw Axl under the bus. Slash could have worked to get current Guns to play. Share the stage.[...]

the HOF people invited the real Guns because of AFD/UYI. you really think Slash/Duff/Matt/Adler should have pressured to have people like Pittman on there, threatining not to come?? it's Axl who is THE ONLY ONE not wanting to deal with the glory times of the GN'R name. it's his Slash psychosis fucking it all up for the fans.

I don't have time to read through all of them, and honestly the ones I have read through have been nothing but complimentary. If you think there are a bunch that are applicable, copy and paste them. Otherwise, it seems like you're just saying something someone else said without any evidence.

Okay.

Slash has never said anything too controversial about Axl in an interview and as others have said no worse than Izzy but it's possible that things have been said within the circles they move in to other industry people that we don't know about. I think the quote from the ICP book sort of proves that. Having said that Axl and his crew are probably just as bad. It's all very teenage girlish.

In my opinion the simplest explanation would be the following:

Axl blames Slash and the rest of the band for the break up of original Guns N' Roses, himself included.

The general public believes Axl ruined Guns N' Roses and holds him responsible for the break-up of the band.

Axl blames Slash for such public perception.

Slash wasn't necessarily bad mouthing Axl but he did paint a picture how he was forced out of the band and put the blame on Axl. In more recent years he has admitted of being too negative. Axl on the other hand probably did stupid shit behind the scenes but he never took his relationship with Slash to the media.

• Like 1

It's not only what was being said or not.

You didn't take into consideration the courtside battles. Axl got drawn into that world and took it very personally, and wanted to be in top in that respect. Slash just put some lawyers in charge of his court business and concentrated on being a rock n roll guitarist. Better choice than Axl did, but yeah, it's like Axl was in the courtside battles knee deep personally involved, and even when he couldn't see slash anywhere or hear his name being said you can bet your ass he felt like he was at war against slash everytime there was a meeting with lawyers or going to court.

• Like 1

I think the most telling quote in there was the one by that idiot from ICP, myself. If Slash was running around saying shit like that to anybody that was willing to listen, I’m sure that quite a bit of

it got back to Axl.

And there's always debate to be had, you should know better than that. Especially when as little is known about what really happened as there is.

It's not only what was being said or not.

You didn't take into consideration the courtside battles. Axl got drawn into that world and took it very personally, and wanted to be in top in that respect. Slash just put some lawyers in charge of his court business and concentrated on being a rock n roll guitarist. Better choice than Axl did, but yeah, it's like Axl was in the courtside battles knee deep personally involved, and even when he couldn't see slash anywhere or hear his name being said you can bet your ass he felt like he was at war against slash everytime there was a meeting with lawyers or going to court.

They were also communicating through lawyer emails. There's probably some damaging things that were said through them. It's just funny that on one hand they rallied together against Geffen Records and the Greatest Hits, and at the same time, sued each other over Axl's re-recordings where he could bypass Slash and Duff so Axl could get the lion's share of the money.

I'm sure Axl was consumed with litigation but doubt he was there in court. Probably on the phone a lot. Court records are out there, but not sure how much is online and how much someone would have to go get copies. It's like what I said about the Stephanie/Erin lawsuit - you have to go there & pay for the copy, or see if The Smoking Gun will put it out there.

There are no isolated examples which you can use to explain why Axl despises modern day Slash. He's just always smugly and slyly put Axl down (and no amount of revisionism like 'Oh I liked Chinese Democracy, I wish Axl all the best' can eradicate that).

Where?! Thats all we're asking. 6

,Just go through the quotes DamnSmooth linked to.

I don't have time to read through all of them, and honestly the ones I have read through have been nothing but complimentary. If you think there nare a bunch that are applicable, copy and paste them. Otherwise, it seems like you're just saying something someone else said without any evidence.

You won't find a bigger Slash fan then me but let's be honest, Slash did say things about Axl in the press which could be considered negative. There should be no question about that.

The point everyone is missing IMHO is that he was not saying anything that the other ex band members weren't saying as well. Also according to Marc Axl is bent with Slash over him telling alleged lies about Axl...which I found curious since others who were there back in the day are saying much the same about Axl....

Edited by classicrawker