Bumblefoot "Had the hardest time" dealing with Guns N' Roses' concert tardiness

The Black

Funny.

If it's because Axl needs time to relax, get his voice ready, etc.........fine.

But look at what the reality of the situation is.

One guy could arrive to the venue two hours earlier............OR...........20,000 people can just "toughen up" and wait an extra two hours.

One guy. 20,000 people. Which of those two should make a little extra effort?

Russ --- so you'd rather spend an extra two hours at a concert standing around doing nothing, rather than it starting on time and you getting to spend those extra two hours with your family or doing something else?

If you went to a restaurant or a movie theatre, and your dinner/movie started two hours late - would you complain or be happy? If your flight is delayed two hours, does it annoy you? Or you sit in a doctor's office waiting room for two hours extra......see my point?

I just don't get why people give Axl a pass on this issue.

When I got to concerts I make it a big event with myself and my friends. So we don't end up sitting around doing nothing. We drink, catch up, enjoy each others company and what not.

I also don't feel it's "giving Axl a pass", it's more not getting upset over what I can't change. When I buy a ticket to GN'R, I know based on past experience that they probably won't go on on time. Again, I'm not saying everyone should be ok with that, I'm saying I am.

Perfectly said, Russ. It's not about giving anyone a pass. It's about knowing how things can and/or will be after being a fan for more than two decades and accepting the good with the bad and planning accordingly knowing full damn well there is nothing in my personal power to change anything. Which, is not to say that everyone must make the same call.

Ali

LOL, that isn't giving somebody a pass?

You know he has no respect for the fans, he's been doing it for two decades, I can't change it...........so we must plan accordingly and just accept it.

Ali, do you think coming on stage two hours late is an acceptable thing for Axl to do?

Do you think it is a respectful thing for Axl to do?

And do you give everybody the same leeway - movie theatre, restaurant reservations, etc?

WhazUp - great point.

Why doesn't Axl just do like every other band and force himself to come to the arena an hour earlier? Adjust his schedule, so 20,000 people aren't sitting around waiting? You've got 20,000 people paying 100-to-150 dollars to come see you perform, why not just take a little effort and come earlier? The majority of his band HATED it. Fans get annoyed by it. But some fans on here act like it's actually a good thing. Like seeing GnR play from 11-to-2 AM is a better experience than seeing them play from 9:30-to-12:30.

And why did Axl STOP doing it if it wasn't a bad thing? The last show I saw, GnR went on stage an hour after Loaded finished.

You don't get it, Groghan. Accepting that someone or something is going to be a particular way and you have no control over it, and you will therefore make an informed decision with assumed risk, is not the same as giving a blanket "it's o.k.". It's saying, "this is o.k. FOR ME", not "this is o.k. FOR EVERYONE". There is a distinct difference. If you cannot see the distinction, that is on you.

I choose to accept the good with the bad. I understand people with different family and/or transportation situations getting annoyed with the later starts. You and/or they are allowed to make a different choice. No choice is universally "right". It's about what is the right call for you personally given your circumstances.

Ali

I have to wait for 30 minutes to get inside Churrasco or Chilis.

I have to wait for an hour to get prescribed by the best doctor in town.

I have to wait for two hours to see GNR. I hate GNR about this but I choose to accept it.

"20,000 fans knew it, one did not."

"There's always the fans that are, like, 'Nah, it's a rock concert. They should be three hours late.' Maybe for you, but not for the other 20,000 people…

I have no words for how much I love BBF for saying this.

It is a great quote because I have actually heard some of the blind defenders use this exact excuse. I think Jarmo has used it before in fact: ''it is a rock n' roll show duuddee''.

IMO my only issue waiting is when it's been 2 hours since the opener finished a d the stage is ready to go. Anything over a hour is rediculous between sets. Of the openers times need to be pushed back so be it. But 2 hours of dead time is insane

IMO my only issue waiting is when it's been 2 hours since the opener finished a d the stage is ready to go. Anything over a hour is rediculous between sets. Of the openers times need to be pushed back so be it. But 2 hours of dead time is insane

Agreed. Some guy posted a while back how making them wait builds energy. But making them wait for over an hour (let alone 2) just kills energy and creates annoyance and tension.
  • Like 1

I'm of the position that it's kind of late in the game to complain about this issue. Axl's reputation of being late has been well documented and you don't need to be a hardcore fanatic to know this to be the case. If 11pm - midnight show starts are a problem then don't go. There are exceptions however, like music festivals, where a two or three hour gap between acts is ludicrous.

But at this point, if you're going to go to a GNR show, just do what I do - go late. My friends and I would go to bars and drink until 10:30 - 10:45 and make our way into the venue for 11:00. Never once did I miss the beginning and rarely did I have to wait for more than an hour. Granted, this usually resulted in me being too intoxicated for most shows, but whatever, I had a good time.

But GNR should be ready for a far smaller crowd if the late shows were to persist (and as Bumble alludes to, it's gotten better). The only valid reaction to the late start times is not to go; not to buy tickets. Speak with your wallets, not by throwing shit at the band or starting fights in the stands (which happens way too often, or at least in my experience). If fewer and fewer people start showing up it might do more to get Axl's ass on stage on time than just whining about it. I'd agree with the criticism if it was something Axl just started doing, but he's been pulling this bullshit for over twenty years. As the old saying goes, "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

• Like 1

Funny.

One guy could arrive to the venue two hours earlier............OR...........20,000 people can just "toughen up" and wait an extra two hours.

Russ --- so you'd rather spend an extra two hours at a concert standing around doing nothing, rather than it starting on time and you getting to spend those extra two hours with your family or doing something else?

If you went to a restaurant or a movie theatre, and your dinner/movie started two hours late - would you complain or be happy? If your flight is delayed two hours, does it annoy you? Or you sit in a doctor's office waiting room for two hours extra......see my point?

When I got to concerts I make it a big event with myself and my friends. So we don't end up sitting around doing nothing. We drink, catch up, enjoy each others company and what not.

I also don't feel it's "giving Axl a pass", it's more not getting upset over what I can't change. When I buy a ticket to GN'R, I know based on past experience that they probably won't go on on time. Again, I'm not saying everyone should be ok with that, I'm saying I am.

Perfectly said, Russ. It's not about giving anyone a pass. It's about knowing how things can and/or will be after being a fan for more than two decades and accepting the good with the bad and planning accordingly knowing full damn well there is nothing in my personal power to change anything. Which, is not to say that everyone must make the same call.

Ali

You know he has no respect for the fans, he's been doing it for two decades, I can't change it...........so we must plan accordingly and just accept it.

Ali, do you think coming on stage two hours late is an acceptable thing for Axl to do?

And do you give everybody the same leeway - movie theatre, restaurant reservations, etc?

WhazUp - great point.

Why doesn't Axl just do like every other band and force himself to come to the arena an hour earlier? Adjust his schedule, so 20,000 people aren't sitting around waiting? You've got 20,000 people paying 100-to-150 dollars to come see you perform, why not just take a little effort and come earlier? The majority of his band HATED it. Fans get annoyed by it. But some fans on here act like it's actually a good thing. Like seeing GnR play from 11-to-2 AM is a better experience than seeing them play from 9:30-to-12:30.

And why did Axl STOP doing it if it wasn't a bad thing? The last show I saw, GnR went on stage an hour after Loaded finished.

You don't get it, Groghan. Accepting that someone or something is going to be a particular way and you have no control over it, and you will therefore make an informed decision with assumed risk, is not the same as giving a blanket "it's o.k.". It's saying, "this is o.k. FOR ME", not "this is o.k. FOR EVERYONE". There is a distinct difference. If you cannot see the distinction, that is on you.

I choose to accept the good with the bad. I understand people with different family and/or transportation situations getting annoyed with the later starts. You and/or they are allowed to make a different choice. No choice is universally "right". It's about what is the right call for you personally given your circumstances.

Ali

I have to wait for two hours to see GNR. I hate GNR about this but I choose to accept it.

There is a difference between going to a restaurant and having to wait............as opposed to having a reservation for 7 pm and having to wait until 9 pm before they let you in. I highly doubt anybody would wait that long if they had a reservation.

Ali,

Yes. I just "don't get it." Me and 99.9% of the rest of the rock world outside of a few people on this forum. Even most of the old band members hated it, we know that some of the new band members don't like it either..........and for some odd reason, Axl himself stopped doing it.

I also noticed that you - like always - refused to specifically answer my questions. Instead doing your usual dance of avoiding saying anything that might cast Axl in a negative light. And you clearly don't understand what the meaning of "giving somebody a pass" means. It's exactly what you are doing. Baffles me that you can't even just admit that.

Funny.

Ali

WhazUp - great point.

Ali

There is a difference between going to a restaurant and having to wait............as opposed to having a reservation for 7 pm and having to wait until 9 pm before they let you in. I highly doubt anybody would wait that long if they had a reservation.

Ali,

Yes. I just "don't get it." Me and 99.9% of the rest of the rock world outside of a few people on this forum. Even most of the old band members hated it, we know that some of the new band members don't like it either..........and for some odd reason, Axl himself stopped doing it.

I also noticed that you - like always - refused to specifically answer my questions. Instead doing your usual dance of avoiding saying anything that might cast Axl in a negative light. And you clearly don't understand what the meaning of "giving somebody a pass" means. It's exactly what you are doing. Baffles me that you can't even just admit that.

Groghan, I find your questions to be asinine because, clearly, I answered that I accept it as I said I take the good with the bad and fret about what I can't change. I never said it was right for everyone, just o.k. for me. Which, is what Russ was saying. No one is saying it's right. There is a difference between saying something is right or correct and saying you accept it being that you have no control over it and are willing to work with it. That's why it's not "giving someone a pass". So, you are correct in that you are not getting it - as in what I'm saying.

Ali

Considering the fact that Ron hasn't left yet, despite his years of bitching and moaning, leads me to think that he must not have that "hard of a time dealing with it".

This seems like attention-whoring more than anything else on Ron's part.

If I were a betting man, my guess would be that Axl could take the stage 2 hours late for the next 7 tours and Ron would still be there to cash-in on every opportunity.

Does anyone else feel like the "nice guy" charade is wearing a little thin? You really unhappy? Prove it and leave.

Considering the fact that Ron hasn't left yet, despite his years of bitching and moaning, leads me to think that he must not have that "hard of a time dealing with it".

If I were a betting man, my guess would be that Axl could take the stage 2 hours late for the next 7 tours and Ron would still be there to cash-in on every opportunity.

Does anyone else feel like the "nice guy" charade is wearing a little thin? You really unhappy? Prove it and leave.

It's all a ploy to sell more hot sauce.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Axl will never reunite the original band and you'll still be here to bitch about it no matter what.

• Like 2

If I were a betting man, I'd say Axl will never reunite the original band and you'll still be here to bitch about it no matter what.

Good one, man! No, really. That was seriously cool, even if a reunion wasn't being discussed. Is it natural for you to blurt out off-topic comments when offended by the truth? Just curious ...

Well he is very engaging with the fans for the most part, so he has a "nice" attitude in that respect.. obviously he has his priorities though in terms of business and, as you are suggesting, he is becoming alot more "accepting" of what comes with the GNR territory, even though for a long time that wasn't the case..

Edited by rhiad85

the wait is a joke and unnecessary. It's the only thing that really pisses me off about Axl. Well, that and the fact that he's been touring to support the same album for over 10 years now.

I love GN'R, and they're my favourite band, but I won't be giving Axl any more of my money until a new album is released. It's pretty sad how I've seen the "new" line-up 3 times over 8 years ('02, '06, '10) and the set list has practically been the same all three times.

Thank god my other favourite band, Nine Inch Nails, treat their fans way better.

Edited by RJ88

the wait is a joke and unnecessary. It's the only thing that really pisses me off about Axl. Well, that and the fact that he's been touring to support the same album for over 10 years now.

I love GN'R, and they're my favourite band, but I won't be giving Axl any more of my money until a new album is released. It's pretty sad how I've seen the "new" line-up 3 times over 8 years ('02, '06, '10) and the set list has practically been the same all three times.

Thank god my other favourite band, Nine Inch Nails, treat their fans way better.

Prepare yourself to get flamed about what an terrible fan you are. Full of entitlement issues, a liar, an idiot, etc.

Axl's shows are better because he goes on late.....building up the tension and excitement.

New album? Heck dude, they just released an album a few years ago. On par with other acts like The Stones and Aerosmith.

The set list changes every year.

Axl and Beta treat their fans like kings. They don't "owe" you anything. Nobody is forcing you to follow them.

It's a pain in the ass, but at the same time, I really don't understand why the promoter, venue, etc. would still continue to list their start time as 8:30/9:00 when it's very well-known that they come on at 11. It causes people to get there at like 7:00 (earlier if you want to be up front), the opening bands to come out way too soon and the crew members to be exhausted. They probably know that listing the actual start time on Ticketmaster might prevent people from buying them.

I remember coming out of the Izod show in 2011 (?) and I asked the traffic worker what time he was expecting to get home and he said: "As soon as you guys all get out of here... like 4 am." He was late 30s/early40s, probably had kids, the whole shebang.

But let's not forget that Axl has cleared up this issue. From all reports, GnR is going on stage on time for most of their shows over the last year or so.

Which is odd, as guys like Ali and a few others seem to think the late thing was a positive and was part of the alure that made GnR special (somebody even posted that concerts that started on time lacked energy and generally sucked)........so it's odd that Axl would CHANGE his habit of starting late.

I'm a little confused though. As an Axl Rose fan, I'm supposed to excuse and even praise him starting shows two hours late..........but also praise him for starting shows on time. So basically.......just praise his every move!!!