Could 'This I Love' been epic?

trqster

TIL is, by far, the most popular CD era video on YouTube with over 1 million views(!!!) of the fake 'official' video.

The likeability ratio is also brilliant to say the least with a circa 87% value. On concerts it's also one of the few (only?) CD songs that the casual Gn'R relates to.

If Axl had let out TIL as a first single and video, where could it have propelled CD?

Personally I love the song, and there's something like a 90's vibe to it, unlike most other CD songs. Maybe that's the 'secret' to its popularity.

Any thoughts?

I love TIL and have said many times that it contains my favorite guitar solo in all of GN'R, but I just don't think it could have been the first single. I think at best it could have been a 3rd or 4th single depending on wildly successful singles before it.

I love TIL and have said many times that it contains my favorite guitar solo in all of GN'R, but I just don't think it could have been the first single. I think at best it could have been a 3rd or 4th single depending on wildly successful singles before it.

Just out of curiosity why couldn't it have made it as a first single, since it's obviously the most popular (views/ratings) CD song on youtube?

Just out of curiosity why couldn't it have made it as a first single, since it's obviously the most popular (views/ratings) CD song on youtube?

I just don't think it would have been very popular. It's turned out to be a very popular track live and I think that's helped contribute to the YouTube hits, but that's just a guess.

I'm still amazed that CD didn't do better.

I think it was full of songs that could have been hits.

To me, it is the third Illusions.

Released in 1993 I think it would have been just as successful as those albums.

Better, TIL, SOD, IRS, Catcher and Twat would have been hits just like don't cry, you could be mine and estranged.

• Like 3

Axl's worst lyrics ever.

Wildly incorrect.

And now I don't know why
She wouldn't say goodbye
But then it seems that I
Had seen it in her eyes.
And it might not be wise
I'd still have to try
With all the love I have inside
I can't deny
I just can't let it die
Cause her heart's just like mine
And she holds her pain inside
So if you ask me why
She wouldn't say goodbye
I know somewhere inside
There is a special light
Still shining bright
And even on the darkest night
She can't deny
So if she's somewhere near me
I hope to God she hears me
There's no one else
Could ever make me feel
I'm so alive
I hoped she'd never leave me
Please God you must believe me
I've searched the universe
And found myself
Within' her eyes
No matter how I try
They say it's all a lie
So what's the use of my
Confessions to a crime
Of passions that won't die
In my heart
There's no one else
Could ever make me feel
I'm so alive
And found myself
Within' her eyes
There's no one else
Could ever make me feel
I'm so alive
And found myself
Within' her eyes
And now I don't know why
She wouldn't say goodbye
It just might be that I
Had seen it in her eyes
And now it seems that I
Gave up my ghost of pride
I'll never say goodbye
Yeah, that's genius.

Axl's worst lyrics ever.

Wildly incorrect.

And now I don't know why
She wouldn't say goodbye
But then it seems that I
Had seen it in her eyes.
And it might not be wise
I'd still have to try
With all the love I have inside
I can't deny
I just can't let it die
Cause her heart's just like mine
And she holds her pain inside
So if you ask me why
She wouldn't say goodbye
I know somewhere inside
There is a special light
Still shining bright
And even on the darkest night
She can't deny
There's no one else
Could ever make me feel
I'm so alive
And found myself
Within' her eyes
No matter how I try
They say it's all a lie
So what's the use of my
Confessions to a crime
Of passions that won't die
In my heart
There's no one else
Could ever make me feel
I'm so alive
And found myself
Within' her eyes
There's no one else
Could ever make me feel
I'm so alive
And found myself
Within' her eyes
And now I don't know why
She wouldn't say goodbye
It just might be that I
Had seen it in her eyes
And now it seems that I
Gave up my ghost of pride
I'll never say goodbye
Yeah, that's genius.

Agreed, I am glad you changed your mind.

Better, TIL, SOD, IRS, Catcher and Twat would have been hits just like don't cry, you could be mine and estranged.

Groghan can you admit the "industry" kind of wanted CD to fail for many many reasons and dictates a lot of success with what we hear on the radio?

• Like 1

Groghan can you admit the "industry" kind of wanted CD to fail for many many reasons and dictates a lot of success with what we hear on the radio?

Sure. A bit.

But I also think that rock fans just didn't care that much. At least in the US. It sold under a million copies here - which sucks for what was billed as the "most anticipated album of all time."

I think a lot of mistakes were made.

Best Buy..........even an exclusive with Walmart would have boosted sales by (just my own estimate) 25-30%. The label got their money back which is what they wanted. But in terms of sales to the public - terrible decision.

Label did all the pre-promotion that CD needed. They poured more money into it than 99% of albums get. I saw tv ads, ads in magazines and newspapers. But once Axl decided to NOT participate, I think the label probably said "OK, sounds good. We'll apply our force to other albums."

Axl not promoting the album was - imo - idiotic. Cutting your nose off to spite your face. Makes no sense to me. How Axl was more concerned with screwing the label than he was promoting HIS OWN ALBUM.....how does that make sense?

No music videos. People say that it doesn't matter, but it clearly does. I constantly discover new bands and new songs from established bands by searching Youtube and watching the videos.

Releasing CD as first single was a terrible decision. Boring bland generic rock song. I think Better or Catcher or Twat or even Shacklers would have gotten a greater reaction.

So yes. I think after the album's release, it was just a cluster-f by everybody involved.

• Like 2

One of the worst if not the worst song on CD. It just whines on and on in this really annoying tone. Incredibly dull. I don't see the appeal at all. Never have, never will. I'm surprised it gets so many views though. Makes me wonder if it's actually popular, or just one of the first things that comes up when you look for CD.

• Like 2

Couldn't disagree more. It's pretty obvious to me why CD failed. First of all it failed because it was released 8 years too late. It's also too long. There's this strange thought that a good album has to be 80 minutes long, but most really great ones are only half of that. But aside from the pressure and ridiculous road to get there it's a very incoherent and overproduced album. There's too much pulp, too much going on, it's trying too hard to make every single song some sort of epic thing and failing miserably.

Yes, some songs have single potential. I still think Better would've done well. And I think If The World probably had the most hit potential of all in terms of musical style (looking at pop music these days). I also think The Blues in it's original 2002 form could've been a very successful ballad. And maybe (and I know many will disagree with me on this) CD or Rhiad could make a good single too. I think Catcher, TWAT, Madagascar and Prostitute are good songs too. No single potential, but good songs. And yes, there are some horrible tracks on there as well. I think Scraped is pure shit, TIL is incredibly boring and Sorry is just vengeful whining with a funny accent mixed in. But if you leave them out (or at least 2 out of 3) you'd have a good basis!

But all of this, ALL of the potential that was there, was in my opinion ruined by the horrible production efforts that try WAY too hard to make everything some huge complex epic thing. If they'd have made it a rock and roll record instead (aka roughly 1998-2002 style mixing and production) it would at least have stood a chance. And if they'd have done that AND released it somewhere between 1998 and 2002 I think it would have been VERY well-received.

Oh well. If "if's" and "but's" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas. -_-

Edited by username
  • Like 1

Guest cbgnr666

Sure. A bit.

But I also think that rock fans just didn't care that much. At least in the US. It sold under a million copies here - which sucks for what was billed as the "most anticipated album of all time."

I think a lot of mistakes were made.

Best Buy..........even an exclusive with Walmart would have boosted sales by (just my own estimate) 25-30%. The label got their money back which is what they wanted. But in terms of sales to the public - terrible decision.

Label did all the pre-promotion that CD needed. They poured more money into it than 99% of albums get. I saw tv ads, ads in magazines and newspapers. But once Axl decided to NOT participate, I think the label probably said "OK, sounds good. We'll apply our force to other albums."

Axl not promoting the album was - imo - idiotic. Cutting your nose off to spite your face. Makes no sense to me. How Axl was more concerned with screwing the label than he was promoting HIS OWN ALBUM.....how does that make sense?

No music videos. People say that it doesn't matter, but it clearly does. I constantly discover new bands and new songs from established bands by searching Youtube and watching the videos.

Releasing CD as first single was a terrible decision. Boring bland generic rock song. I think Better or Catcher or Twat or even Shacklers would have gotten a greater reaction.

So yes. I think after the album's release, it was just a cluster-f by everybody involved.

I agree with you on your Best Buy statement,but as far as CD being the first single, it seems at least too me to be pretty closely tied to old gnr sound "Illusion ERA" just a little more refined.It's not my favorite song on the album, but I could see why they would use it as a starting point before releasing more material, which never seemed to happen.

Horrible song. Axl on broadway. "I beat the shit out of you. You left. Now I'm sad."

That's probably the main reason why you're not a rockstar , a critic or a comedy act.

Yeah because your opinion matters most. That's the gist and background story of the song.