Godzilla (2014)

Video is taking too long to load, is it a comparison?

I find it weird that Toho has released their less successful Godzilla films on Blu Ray, individually first. Ebirah, Hedorah and Gigan are tossups when it comes to fan opinions. Kadokawa has released their Eight Gamera films from the 1965 to 1980 on two discs with four movies each.

This film would have been a lot better if they just dumped Aaron Johnson and just kept Bryan Cranston. Hollywood doesn't need eye candy. Young men and women love Bryan Cranston. Elizabeth Olsen or Olson was boring too.

I would have been fine about Godzilla being saved until the end if the human characters were good. But when Cranston dies, I just did not give a fuck. I was actually disappointed they lived to be honest. In fact, how the fuck did he survive anyway?

• Like 1

I just feel bad for all the work Cranston's character did.

"Your father spent 15 years researching the incident, reading countless books, going through tons of data, establishing contacts and risking imprisonment to get into the Quarantine Zone... can you tell us anything?"

"Wasn't really listening. Something about echolocation?"
"Perfect! That's everything we need to know, thanks!"

• Like 1

I just don't understand how Serizawa and his sexual partner Sally Hawkins didn't come to that conclusion.

"You are no use to us, so we are just going to let you go home"

"Hey, you want to renlist? Well fuck the paperwork, put on the uniform! Here's a gun!"

"Shit, why did every single bomb technician in the entire West Coast have to call out today?"

"Hey, I can defuse bombs!"

"Great! We are putting you in charge of a nuclear warhead!"

• Like 1

So a friend of mine saw the movie and loved it!

He also told me the role of Godzilla in the movie, so the storyline isn't at all like the original movie from the 1950's.

Anyway, I was glad and I would really like to still see this movie for myself, but first the X men movie.

The storyline is more similar to Godzilla vs. Hedorah than the original.

I asked my wife who she'd prefer. Bryan Cranston or Aaron Johnson. She said Cranston. God I love her.

I think she has the same opinion as everyone on earth (besides Aaron Johnson)

I asked my wife who she'd prefer. Bryan Cranston or Aaron Johnson. She said Cranston. God I love her.

Godzilla never used his breath to fly at the end though... God that was ridiculous. 8 year old me fucking loved it though!

Edited by Graeme

I think she has the same opinion as everyone on earth (besides Aaron Johnson)

No, his granny of a wife would disagree.

Ordered the Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla on DVD. I should probably get the American version on Blu Ray

Japanese TV spot:

Cheesy music and Watanabe and Johnson having lines from different scenes dubbed over :P

Love that airport reveal at the end. Can't wait for this film to come out on home video.

I can't wait to see how it does in Japan. I don't know why they are taking so long. Maybe they are dubbing? I mean this is what they are probably most nervous about. Selling the Japanese back the product they have created. I think they've showed Godzilla more for that reason.

I wonder if dubbed, Watanabe will do his own dubbing?

Japanese TV spot:

Cheesy music and Watanabe and Johnson having lines from different scenes dubbed over :P

Love that airport reveal at the end. Can't wait for this film to come out on home video.

Any idea why they delayed the Japanese release so long?

I can't wait to see how it does in Japan. I don't know why they are taking so long. Maybe they are dubbing? I mean this is what they are probably most nervous about. Selling the Japanese back the product they have created. I think they've showed Godzilla more for that reason.

I wonder if dubbed, Watanabe will do his own dubbing?

We posted it at the same time....great minds think alike... ;)

Edited by Kasanova King

Maybe they have their own version with Ken Watanabe in more, speaking Japanese like Raymond Burr for Godzilla, King of the Monsters.

I've heard rumors that Legendary has also acquired the rights to Rodan, Mothra, King Ghidorah and Anguirus.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov
  • Like 1

Maybe they have their own version with Ken Watanabe in more, speaking Japanese like Raymond Burr for Godzilla, King of the Monsters.

I've heard rumors that Legendary has also acquired the rights to Rodan, Mothra, King Ghidorah and Anguirus.

That would be pretty sweet. I wouldn't mind seeing this current reboot develop into a nice trilogy.

Only making $12.5 million this weekend. That is rally bad. Guess the director is to blame. Misleading advertising and people expected more.

It's already at $375 million worldwide gross....and it hasn't even opened in Japan yet. It's the highest grossing Godzilla film in history...and when everything is said and done, it'll hit at least $500 million.

Edited by Kasanova King

Only making $12.5 million this weekend. That is rally bad. Guess the director is to blame. Misleading advertising and people expected more.

It's already at $375 million worldwide gross....and it hasn't even opened in Japan yet. It's the highest grossing Godzilla film in history...and when everything is said and done, it'll hit at least $500 million.

Highest grossing when you don't factor in inflation.

It'll eventually pass 98 Godzilla, even with adjusted gross...only has about $50 mil. to go.

It'll eventually pass 98 Godzilla, even with adjusted gross...only has about $50 mil. to go.

It'll surpass '98 Godzilla but I think word of mouth hurt this film, a lot of people were upset with Cranston's early exit and the lack of monster action. I think it'll finish around $450 million, which is still pretty awesome.

A lot of people went to see this movie because Cranston was in it. I mean Godzilla is cool, but after so many movies and the abortion that was GINO, people wanted to see why Cranston would be in this. But he gets killed off early.

Cranston was so crucial to the Box office, that he was featured the most in the trailer and not Aaron Dead Eyed Johnson and his less interesting female co-star. Since he got killed off, it pretty much ruined the human element of the movie and we were stuck with a guy we don't give a fuck about.

If Cranston and Watanabe were in the film more, we'd have a better movie. I know the script was written different but scripts get rewritten all the time, so Gareth Edwards didn't know how to improvise. Any fillmmaker would have spotted that error. No idea why he just went along with it.

Watanabe had the best line. "Let them fine"

• Like 1

From reddit:

"Just finished the official novelization. It's not very well-written and stinks of "rush job," BUT it add some more backstory and scenes that were likely in the script but didn't make the final cut.

If you'd like to know what extra stuff was in the book but don't want to sacrifice hours of your life to a phoned-in novelization, here's a summary:

I WISH IT WAS IN THE MOVIE:

-An extended description of the fight at Honolulu airport. This includes a use of ATOMIC BREATH that misses and fries a bunch of people on the beach instead. After that, it switches to Sam watching on tv.

-After breaking through the Golden Gate Bridge, Godzilla climbs onto Alcatraz while fighter jets attack him. Obviously they are ineffective, but it would have looked awesome. After that, the male MUTO appears and his EMPs knock those planes out of the sky. This explains why planes fall from the sky in the film, when there was otherwise no justification for those planes being airborne (especially since they already knew about the EMP).

-The opening credits scene is described more fully: natives on the bikini atoll who refused to flee watch as a something rises out of the water...it's a submarine, coming to help prep for the nuke detonation. The scene cuts to an aircraft carrier with soldiers waiting to watch the attack, and finally ends with Godzilla rising out of the water as the nuke goes off.

-In the mine in the Phillipines, there are extensive descriptions of the people suffering from fatal radiation sickness. Down by the giant monster skeleton, Serizawa and Graham see bodies of miners dead from radiation poisoning. This would have been a powerful image to open the film with. Also, they use geiger counters to show that the radiation vanishes close to the unhatched MUTO egg.

-The nuke they use to try and kill the monsters is given a timer of 3 hours instead of 1.5. I have no idea why they changed that for the movie, considering there is no fucking way all of the events that happen in between the start of the timer and the nuke going off could have happened in less than 90 minutes.

-The famous cameo by Akira Takarada as an immigrations officer

I'M GLAD IT DIDN'T MAKE THE CUT:

-Ford finds Sam at the stadium BEFORE the HALO jump. After he overhears soldiers talking about the nuke in San Francisco, he decides to go in order to save Elle.

-No Kiss of Death. Godzilla just rips off Mama MUTOs head.

There's probably more that I'm leaving out, but can't think of off the top of my head."

• Like 1