Godzilla (2014)

What's the current gross on this movie worldwide?

$489 million: http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=godzilla2012.htm

It's gonna be (finally) released in Japan on the 25th, so it'll definitely go over $500 million, I'm guessing around $525 million for the final tally. Which is good, but you never know if a sequel is gonna make more or less than its predecessor (used to be a guarantee that it'd be less but we've seen 3rd movies in a series be the highest grossers in recent years).

'Japan, however, will be the last major market to view the latest Hollywood iteration of the iconic franchise that Toho [a Japanese film, production and distribution company] launched in 1954 with the first of 28 made-in-Japan Godzilla pics: The studio plans to release “Godzilla” on July 25, nearly six weeks after its U.S. bow, but not out of any uncertainty about its success.

“That’s just the best timing,” explains Ogura [A Toho PR Rep]. “It’s when big movies are released here.”

One recent example is the Hayao Miyazaki animation “The Wind Rises,” a Toho release that opened on July 20, 2013, and became the year’s highest-earning pic with $117 million.

One reason for this timing is that Japanese schools do not begin their summer break until mid-July. But Toho, Ogura emphasizes, does not consider “Godzilla” kiddie fare. “Of course, children will be able to see it – it’s rated for all ages,” he says, “but our primary target is adults.”'

$500 million is laughable nowadays.

I'm going to mock you since I don't understand basic maths.

Why do you think Sony is upset that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 made "only" $700 million worldwide?

The budget for that film was approx. $250 million. Marketing costs between $100-200 million. So we're talking about $400 million there.

While major studios can negotiate for as much as 90% of the opening weekend gross (to encourage cinemas to play films longer), they then keep only 55% of the gross. So out of that $700 million, Sony will likely only just about break even on theatrical release. Sure, they'll make money back on DVD/Blu-Ray and the rest of the ancillary market, but that's not enough when you've dropped that much coin on a film, and the possibility that the planned sequels could make less means they're gonna have to lower the budget for them; they were really banking on it being a billion-dollar blockbuster as so many films are these days with the aid of inflation and the premium on 3D tickets.

Godzilla cost about $160 million to produce. Throw a conservative $50 million marketing budget on top of that, that's $210 million. So they needed at least $400 million to break even (Legendary Pictures said $380 million, though they would give a more conservative figure: http://variety.com/2014/film/news/godzilla-seeks-worldwide-domination-at-the-box-office-1201181416/), which they have. But a $500 million worldwide gross doesn't bode well for sequels, especially seeing as in the US Godzilla had a pretty steep drop after its opening weekend due to poor word-of-mouth. They'll still go ahead with Godzilla 2, but they know it isn't going to be a guaranteed hit unless they change things up (i.e. give people more monster action, work on the human elements). That's why people are a bit surprised they're going ahead with a Pacific Rim 2, seeing as the first one only made $400 million worldwide (mostly thanks to overseas gross).

I say all this as someone who loved the new Godzilla movie (almost went to see it a 3rd time in the IMAX here but £18 a go is just a bit too much).

:rolleyes:

I'm still a bit upset over the fact they created a new monster for Godzilla to battle with instead of using a familiar one from the Toho franchise. Man, cocoons. Why not mothra? Why not have mothra and battra battle out instead of the two MUTOs meet up to mate? But other than that and the horrible acting from that main military dude, it was awesome. If I were directing this shit, we would've gotten Mothra first, then we'd get Mechagodzilla and finally in the third, I'd bring on King Ghidorah. And you don't even wanna know my genius plot for the three of them.

I pretty much disagree with all of this.

Bringing in another classic monster would take away from who this film is about, Godzilla. I felt very strongly that if Godzilla was to be the villian, than he should be on his own, but if he was to be the hero (as is the case) than you have to start with a noname monster. Mothra is too well of known to bring in from the beginning, same goes for King Ghidorah. You have to build up to those monsters, because they deserve a whole origina story themselves. Which THIS film is about Godzilla's origin. He is Earth's defender, telling that story is all this film had time to tell. Trying to fit Mothra or another classic monster in it would be over saturating the plot, aka Spiderman 3.

But as far as sequels go, now we have open canvases for Mothra or King Ghidorah. Which honestly I would do a trilogy, saving Ghidorah for the 3rd film. But that's just me....

The thing is, if you're making Godzilla battle a monster on the first movie, which I don't know wether it's a good move or not (probably not), it should be a household name, IMO. And yes, I agree about King Ghidorah being on the third movie. I said that too. The perfect story line, IMO, would be Mecha on second and KG on third. Actually, I'm gonna just put it down here what I'd do 'cause I thought about it a lot after I watched this movie:

Godzilla 1: Make it take place in 1954. Only Godzilla. Godzilla is as tall as buildings back then. It's still young. In the end, they know they didn't kill it. They just made it go away.

Godzilla 2: Make it take place during the cold war. Make specifically, during the cuban missile crisis. Godzilla appears in Cuba. US Government sends in secret Anti-Godzilla project they've been working on for a while since Godzilla disappeared in 1954: Mechagodzilla. Make it more "plausible". Mechagodzilla gets hijacked by cuban military and, after Godzilla goes away and ruins cuban missiles, Cuba decides to attack using Mechagodzilla, which appears on Florida coast. In the end, Godzilla saves the day. PS: Godzilla is now bigger than before, he has grown. Mechagodzilla is smaller than Godzilla.

Godzilla 3: Only one that takes place in the present. Alien invasion. Make it a serious alien films half the way, until serious attack starts. Heavy radioactivity in the battle, Godzilla appears. Heavily scarred from Mechagodzilla battle, looks older. Starts knocking aliens out. Aliens start losing, bring out King Ghidorah. Godzilla VS King Ghidorah. Earth's chance stands on Godzilla. Godzilla wins. Yay.

Eh, I'm tired of the same old monsters. Give me something new.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope they don't waste any time in exposition. Much better if they are like "Fuck! It's Mothra and King Ghidorah!"

Since the extended build up was this film's most criticized aspect, I highly doubt we go 20 minutes before seeing some major action in the sequel...just a guess.

...and FYI....

“Godzilla,” from Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros., brought in $6.9 million from 427 theaters to top the box office in Japan, where original rights holder Toho Company is distributing.

That puts the rampaging reptile remake just shy of $300 million internationally and poised to cross the $500 million mark at the worldwide box office on Monday.

http://www.thewrap.com/godzilla-storms-japan-but-dawn-of-the-planet-of-apes-rules-worldwide-box-office/

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...