Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

For those trying to DL Bent to Fly via iTunes, and having issues with being in the wrong country; there is software that can trick the internets into thinking you are from a different country. Some offer free 3 day trials which would surely do it, hunt via Google as I don't recall the name of the one I've used in the past.

I know we've all been dying to hear my thoughts on this:

First listen yesterday I thought "wow, sounds like a decent try at another Not For Me type track. Doesn't really quite click with me. Vocals are good but the music is kinda boring to me. I'd give it at 5 or 6 out of 10, whereas I'd give World On Fire an 8 or 9 out of 10". Not surprising to me, I'm much more a fan of the One Last Thrill type thing.

Heard it again last night and thought "wow, this is really great! I mean, I don't think its an amazing song or anything, but really connected that second time far more." I now feel I'm way off with the Not For Me comparison, and I definitely hear the Alter Bridge stuff this second time around (I could hear how its maybe like Rise Today or something). I still don't love the music and I still feel its a pretty generic track. World On Fire is generic too, but its in that style that I don't feel I hear enough these days so I completely look past its generic nature. This song, I don't know, just sounds like it could be on anyone's album. It doesn't scream "Slash", and I guess it more screams "Myles Kennedy", which is fine but I always like him more WITH Slash than without. Thats the reason I've never really gotten into Alter Bridge that much.

Having said all that, it still seems like a decent track. Kind of sounds like filler, but you never know this early. Sounds like the No More Heroes or We Will Roam of this album to me, in the way that they are generic of their genre and I probably won't revisit them much, but they aren't "bad" songs. Basically, having heard it for a 3rd time, I'm not dying to hear it again. I'm still at about a 6 or 6.5 out of 10 with it.

And if the discussion of getting the song for yourself is still being asked, I just ripped a copy of the Youtube posted earlier (thanks for that) and it sounds fine to me. At least it sounds fine enough until I get the real album and was a whole lot easier than getting software to hack iTunes in another country. If anyone is interested in the MP3 feel free to shoot me a PM and I could send it over to you.

Unless of course thats not allowed here in which case I will ban myself for even having suggested such tomfoolery.

A lot of Slash's recent songs kinda make me realise in retrospect how great It's Five O'Clock Somewhere was LA

I much prefer Ain't Life Grand in that regard. I think Five O Clock is a little too sleazy and rambling, which makes some of the songs a bit too long and all a bit too similar. He didn't have someone to collaborate with and focus his efforts, even though I know many think thats one of his more superior albums. With Ain't Life Grand, I think Slash did an excellent job bringing the perfect amount of sleaze and modern aspects to make a really well crafted album. A very focused effort that explores all of Slash's different techniques from jazz to blues to rock to ballad-esk, and creating an album he has not topped yet IMO.

A lot of Slash's recent songs kinda make me realise in retrospect how great It's Five O'Clock Somewhere was LA

Still the best work Slash has done post-Guns to me. ;)

About "Bent To Fly", to me this is one of the best song of the album but one of the slowest too ! The chorus is fn' stuck in my head for days ! :lol:

Guest Gunns

After the Brixton show, with a little Patience I got to meet the man himself. Signing my ticket, I geeked out and said "I'd love to hear Locomotive and Coma some time!"
"Hahah, yeah.... That's not gonna happen."
iiii]; )'

Not in this lifetime? :lol:

Guest Gunns

Clea

After the Brixton show, with a little Patience I got to meet the man himself. Signing my ticket, I geeked out and said "I'd love to hear Locomotive and Coma some time!"
"Hahah, yeah.... That's not gonna happen."
iiii]; )'

Not in this lifetime? :lol:

Clear your inbox mate

should be good to go

I hated Rod Jackson's voice on Aint life grand. If it's five o clock somewhere was the guns record, I would be very happy

Didn't like Rod Jackson either.... Or that album for the most part..

Hey Slashtobaz how are the chances of "Good to be alive" to be played during this tour ? Thx in advance ;)

With a long jam at the end? Yes please....

Don't get all the hate for Rod Jackson? I thought he had a great rock voice and kicked ass on that album.............. :shrugs:

And here is a great looking Slash shirt for you fans to wear to his next show............I am not selling these nor do I know the person who is but thought it was a cool looking shirt..........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251136926448?var=550171019936&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

• Like 1

Don't get all the hate for Rod Jackson? I thought he had a great rock voice and kicked ass on that album.............. :shrugs:

Totally agree. I don't understand the hate and think he's the best vocalist Slash has worked with since Axl (I don't know what he brought to the table writing wise, but as for his vocals on the record).

Guess that just shows the difference between people though. Good To Be Alive is one of my least favorites on 5 O Clock and I would be completely disinterested/a little pissed if of all Slash's music he chose to bust that one out. But everyone has their own tastes. Give me Landslide or Life's Sweet Drug any day of the week.

Hey Slashtobaz how are the chances of "Good to be alive" to be played during this tour ? Thx in advance ;)

I don't know about "Good To be Alive", the band rehearsed "Soma City Ward" last year but never played it live. ;)

About Rod Jackson, I did an interview w/ him, great frontman, great voice but he was high on dope during Snakepit era ! :wow: