Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

What has happened to the republic as established in RotJ? The film did not make any sense and we are immediately in a rebellion against a 'first order'.

Horrible. I hate this film with a passion.

Sure. But I know you won't stop until everyone knows how much you hated it.

That is not really true. I was interested in the discussion of the film, and my problems with it, but seeing as I am being depicted as a henious hater - a cupcake - I will depart from your worship of this film. But it really is a shit film. The acting is laughable. All it is in fact is an inferior remake of the first film.

Seriously man you are such a clown. You're such a phoney it's not even funny. You hate this film with a passion? You try way too fucking hard to be cool and different. I could understand someone not loving it but to go on the way you do is just so fake.

• Like 1

But only 363 days until Rogue One!

Honestly, I'm not really interested in any of the side movies as of now.

Seriously? The tone of Rogue One is rumored to be very dark and a true war type movie. I'm pretty pumped to see it. Definitely more interested in the main storyline but Rogue One is a great thing to tide us over I think.

• Like 2

People are still speculating that Snoke is Plagueis in some discussions I've seen.

"Supreme Leader Snoke is wise."

"Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?"

I personally don't think Snoke is Plagueis, but they really didn't confirm he isn't with this movie.

The biggest leak that I'm glad was fake was Anakin's lightsaber tumbling through space at the beginning of the movie.

Here's my question. What is the difference between The Republic and the Resistance? Is the Resistance formally Republic by swallowed up by the First Order?

Did anyone catch Kylo Ren's mention of clones when talking to Hux about BB-8? Something along the lines of "Perhaps we should have used clones instead."

I did. I wonder why they didn't. Clones killed fucking Jedi.

The Republic is England/France 1930s toward the First Order's Nazi Germany.

Until an actual act of war has occurred and the First Order is staying to the treaty terms post ROTJ, the Republic isn't going to bother with them.

What has happened to the republic as established in RotJ? The film did not make any sense and we are immediately in a rebellion against a 'first order'.

Yeah I struggled with this too....

There was very little backstory to fill in the [roughly] 30 year hole between ROTJ and FA. Almost none at all. At the end of ROTJ what happened? It seems some Republic arose, is it the same that existed in the prequels, was it different?

And what's the deal with the First Order and the Republic, is it a galactic civil war with each entity controlling certain planets/systems? I get that the Resistance isn't officially part of the Republic, but is on it's side - that made sense. But, overall there was a serious lack of proper explanation for the institutions that were presented to us in FA.

And why did Maz have Luke's saber? And in general the new lore sort of bothered me. I don't think we saw one familiar planet? I don't think that was Yavin at the end.

And if the First Order's goal is total galactic dominance, why didn't they just fire the super star-absorber-firer weapon immediately upon its completion, it seemed Snoke suggested it as a secondary measure?

It did feel sort of formulaic a la ANH. But it didn't bother me too much. They have to come up with something more original for the bad guys' plans though, "and for our next movie, a gun that uses TWO planet's cores to fire!!!111111!11." It's juvenile. Get off the giant laser gun train.

Who was Max Von Sydow's character and what was his significance to Kylo/Luke/others?

There were less force powers than I would have liked, perhaps there will be more in the next few when our characters have more training.

So now that the bad is over with. I will say I loved it, right up there with the originals for me, I'm having trouble exactly ranking it - but I enjoyed it just as much. Daisy was terrific, John was very good, I expected Oscar Isaac to be good and he was. Harrison Ford was great, I did think Carrie has lost a bit of charisma though. And she still didn't look terribly skinny.

The action sequences were all great pretty much, it was a bit much that both Finn and Rey were able to stand up to Kylo in 1 vs. 1 duel's when neither of them had really ever held a saber before, but at least Kylo was wounded. It shows that JJ/the writers were thinking of loopholes, unlike George with the originals.

I do think Rey is Luke's daughter. There are some arguments for her being Han's, but it's not enough to convince me. Guess we sort of all saw Han's death coming, he will be missed. Luke's role in the next film will be interesting to see; I was hoping for something a bit more grandiose for his re-introduction into the saga, but the subtle way it was done worked as well on an emotional level.

Also I didn't think the Snoke/Ren combo was a particularly scary baddie duo. Kylo comes across as a confused teenager, and Snoke looked sort of like Voldemort, but not as menacing.

Overall really enjoyed it though, considering I went in with mediocre expectations. I'd give it an A-, a 9/10. Very much looking forward to the next two, and the side movies as well (hopefully some of them fill in the gaps in the story line, I know Rogue One at least is supposed to be between ROTS and ANH, I think).

Edited by OmarBradley

Horrible. I hate this film with a passion.

Sure. But I know you won't stop until everyone knows how much you hated it.

That is not really true. I was interested in the discussion of the film, and my problems with it, but seeing as I am being depicted as a henious hater - a cupcake - I will depart from your worship of this film. But it really is a shit film. The acting is laughable. All it is in fact is an inferior remake of the first film.

Seriously man you are such a clown. You're such a phoney it's not even funny. You hate this film with a passion? You try way too fucking hard to be cool and different. I could understand someone not loving it but to go on the way you do is just so fake.

Well I did not like the film!! I'm entitled to that viewpoint. I do realise you have a hard on for me since I declared a hatred for all things U2...

The Republic is England/France 1930s toward the First Order's Nazi Germany.

Until an actual act of war has occurred and the First Order is staying to the treaty terms post ROTJ, the Republic isn't going to bother with them.

Yeah I struggled with this too....

There was very little backstory to fill in the [roughly] 30 year hole between ROTJ and FA. Almost none at all. At the end of ROTJ what happened? It seems some Republic arose, is it the same that existed in the prequels, was it different?

And what's the deal with the First Order and the Republic, is it a galactic civil war with each entity controlling certain planets/systems? I get that the Resistance isn't officially part of the Republic, but is on it's side - that made sense. But, overall there was a serious lack of proper explanation for the institutions that were presented to us in FA.

And why did Maz have Luke's saber? And in general the new lore sort of bothered me. I don't think we saw one familiar planet? I don't think that was Yavin at the end.

And if the First Order's goal is total galactic dominance, why didn't they just fire the super star-absorber-firer weapon immediately upon its completion, it seemed Snoke suggested it as a secondary measure?

It did feel sort of formulaic a la ANH. But it didn't bother me too much. They have to come up with something more original for the bad guys' plans though, "and for our next movie, a gun that uses TWO planet's cores to fire!!!111111!11." It's juvenile. Get off the giant laser gun train.

Who was Max Von Sydow's character and what was his significance to Kylo/Luke/others?

There were less force powers than I would have liked, perhaps there will be more in the next few when our characters have more training.

So now that the bad is over with. I will say I loved it, right up there with the originals for me, I'm having trouble exactly ranking it - but I enjoyed it just as much. Daisy was terrific, John was very good, I expected Oscar Isaac to be good and he was. Harrison Ford was great, I did think Carrie has lost a bit of charisma though. And she still didn't look terribly skinny.

The action sequences were all great pretty much, it was a bit much that both Finn and Rey were able to stand up to Kylo in 1 vs. 1 duel's when neither of them had really ever held a saber before, but at least Kylo was wounded. It shows that JJ/the writers were thinking of loopholes, unlike George with the originals.

I do think Rey is Luke's daughter. There are some arguments for her being Han's, but it's not enough to convince me. Guess we sort of all saw Han's death coming, he will be missed. Luke's role in the next film will be interesting to see; I was hoping for something a bit more grandiose for his re-introduction into the saga, but the subtle way it was done worked as well on an emotional level.

Also I didn't think the Snoke/Ren combo was a particularly scary baddie duo. Kylo comes across as a confused teenager, and Snoke looked sort of like Voldemort, but not as menacing.

Overall really enjoyed it though, considering I went in with mediocre expectations. I'd give it an A-, a 9/10. Very much looking forward to the next two, and the side movies as well (hopefully some of them fill in the gaps in the story line, I know Rogue One at least is supposed to be between ROTS and ANH, I think).

I really agree with the backstory elements. There's a Republic, but we really know nothing about what has happened, unless we pick up some books. But these things should be explained in the movie. I'm hoping there is a little more light shed on the context of the Republic/First Order in the rest of the trilogy.

This will help a little regarding the Republic.

9M6N9E3h.jpg

ecwPJYgh.jpg

Some Snoke from the novelization.

He met her eyes steadily. "We've lost our son, forever." Leia bit her lower lip, refusing to concede. "No. It was Snoke." Han drew back slightly. "Snoke?"

She nodded. "He knew our child would be strong with the Force. That he was born with equal potential for good or evil."

"You knew this from the beginning? Why didn't you tell me?"

She sighed. "Many reasons. I was hoping that I was wrong, that it wasn't true. I hoped I could sway him, turn him away from the dark side, without having to involve you."

[sNIP]

"I thought I could shield him from Snoke's influence and you from what was happening."

[sNIP]

He had trouble believing what he was hearing. "So Snoke was watching our son."

"Always," she told him. "From the shadows, in the beginning, even before I realized what was happening, he was manipulating everything, pulling our son toward the dark side."

5xOqKFM.jpg

So Snoke has apparently been around since the time of the prequels.

I just saw it, and loved it. Honestly I don't know how any star wars fan could not at least "like it", it's freaking star wars. I don't think it touches the OT, but nothing can. I know this will surprise some, but I'm not sure which film I like better sith or this one, but I've always loved Sith. But this film is not better than Jedi, I don't know how anyone can honestly say that, Jedi has (arguably) the best climax of the entire series. Besides both Luke vs Vader light saber battles will always be #1 and #2, the rest fall in behind those. That reason, and that reason alone puts Jedi a head of this film.

But having said all of that, I freaking loved every minute of this film.

My rank

1. Empire 10/10

2. Jedi 9/10

3. A new Hope 8.5/10

4. Force Awakins 8.2/10

5. Sith 8/10

6. Clone 7/10

7. Phantom menace 6.5/10

I still like and enjoy the prequels. Yes they are flawed, but they are still an important part of the overall story IMO. Sith has always been closest to the OT for me, until force Awkens. I give it a percentage points advantage over Sith. But I like Anakin vs Dooku, Yoda vs Palpatine, and Mace vs Palpatine more than Rey vs Ren. But I still enjoyed Rey vs Ren. Anakin vs Obi Wan from Sith is borderline reduculous though, brings down the film imo. But having said that, watching Anakins downfall is a very interesting chapter in the overall saga, it isn't perfect, but it isn't bad either. Clones and Phantom Menace are far more flawed than Sith is imo.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

When I went to the 3D showing at 9:00 AM, we got there about 8:20 and got great seats. When we showed up for the 2:50 PM standard showing, we got there at 2:15 and the place was packed. We had the option of sitting on the side or sitting in the front. Tried the front middle, it wasn't gonna work. The side seats weren't as bad as expected.