Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

There's a more than 24 hour charge time on the Death Star weapon. If they had shot Yavin I supposed there was a good chance that the debris would also destroy its moon, but their orbit only takes about 20 minutes, so I'm guessing they preferred to just ride the orbit to the moon rather than waste their attack

So George Lucas predicted the iPhone 6+ in 1977? :lol:

starting empire strikes back, a couple of friends said this movie is the best in the series, i told them i hear that alot and we will see :lol:

Can't fucking BELIEVE that you haven't seen these. Empire rules, ending leaves a bit to be desired, but it's easily the best of the series.

i know i feel like an asshole being a fan of fantasy its like a christian never reading the bible :lol:

so i finished the empire strikes back and man were people right on this one, a sequel that pretty much destroys the original in every aspect. the thing about watching these movies is how well the special effects are being in late 1970's/early 1980s. the battle on hoth in particular was so damn good.

10/10

- fuck lando

- fuck chewie for saving 3cpo from being scrapped

- chewie gains points for choking lando

- the battle on hoth was fantastic.

- han becomes bigger badass/ the "i know" response....

- han becoming frozen sucks, but it seems he is in the new movie so im guessing he gets unfrozen somehow in the return of the jedi

- i'm guess there is more to luke and leia? seems like a strong bond there with the whole telepathy stuff going on at the end

- yoda pulling lukes starfighter out of the swamp was cool

- the beginning was a little odd with luke being kidnapped by that yeti, just seemed out of place but it was cool seeing han go all bear grylls with that ton ton was awesome.

- obi wan reminds me of barristan selmy from a song of ice and fire/game of thrones.

so tomorrow we wrap this up with return of the jedi.

- You'll learn to love Lando in ROTJ. He really was in a position he couldn't do anything about.

- "I know" is the quintessential Han moment in the entire series IMO.

Sure. But I know you won't stop until everyone knows how much you hated it.

That is not really true. I was interested in the discussion of the film, and my problems with it, but seeing as I am being depicted as a henious hater - a cupcake - I will depart from your worship of this film. But it really is a shit film. The acting is laughable. All it is in fact is an inferior remake of the first film.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Sure. But I know you won't stop until everyone knows how much you hated it.

That is not really true. I was interested in the discussion of the film, and my problems with it, but seeing as I am being depicted as a henious hater - a cupcake - I will depart from your worship of this film. But it really is a shit film. The acting is laughable. All it is in fact is an inferior remake of the first film.

My worship? I clearly said it was good, but didn't live up to the hype.

I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around. Knowing the story already really let me focus on the film as it is, not as I hoped for it to be. I found it incredibly fun - something I don't necessarily say about all Star Wars films (Not even in the OT - Empire is my favorite, but I in no way consider it to be a fun film). I do still think the plot is too derivative, but I really can't complain about much else. I found Kylo Ren to be a much more interesting character on my second viewing. It's very clear he has a sense of morality, but his moral code is inverted. Whereas by the middle of ROTJ Vader knew he was on the wrong side of everything but was apprehensive to go back to the light side ("It's...too late for me, son."), Kylo is his counterpoint; he truly believes he's on the right side of the Force, but feels the temptation of the Light Side. It's a very interesting character study, something which has never been explored in Star Wars. It's all the more interesting that he idolizes Vader since he is almost Vader's exact opposite. I suspect a bombshell reveal sometime in VIII or IX which will utterly destroy Kylo the same way Vader's reveal destroyed Luke in ESB.

One thing I noticed, which I really liked, was the trailers used tons of shots that were not in the film. I know it's common practice for trailers to sometimes have a couple alternate takes or shots from scenes which get cut, but I'm quite amazed by how many there were in the TFA trailers. Several of the shots are even in direct contradiction to shots that made the final cut. All I can figure is it was a deliberate decisions as to keep the film as fresh as possible, and I love that. Here's what I've found so far (From the 3 domestic trailers):

Teaser 1:

- Elongated shot of the dunes of Jakku before Finn's head pops into the frame (Clearly this was done specifically as an introductory shot for the trailer and not intended for the final cut)

- Most of the shots of the Stormtroopers on the carrier didn't make the final cut, though they're similar to the shots in the final cut.

- Rey nervously starting her speeder

- Rey speeding off towards Neema Outpost (Spelling?)

- X-Wings speeding across the lake on Takodana

- Kylo Ren walking through the woods and igniting his lightsaber

Teaser 2:

- The exact shot of Vader's helmet isn't in the final cut, but a very similar shot is

- Maz handing Leia Luke's lightsaber

Trailer 1:

- Kylo walking towards Finn while igniting his lightsaber (In the final cut, his lightsaber is already ignited when he approaches Finn)

• Like 1

I will say that another beef I have with this movie is how everything wrapped up with the destruction of the base. The audience pretty much has to assume that Ren, Snoke, Hux, and Phasma escape at some point because of the conversation between Hux and Snoke. I don't mind having to assume that, but it didn't take very long for the planet to disintegrate. Just would've been nice to have a scene that showed them at some point.

I went back in the original thread to find this one massive spoiler dump - I thought it would be fun to compare the spoilers to the actual film. I'm surprised how split it is - I expected it to either weigh heavily towards truth, or heavily towards bullshit.

I've bolded stuff that is true (Sometimes throwing in a condition when something is mostly true), I've italicized stuff that remains to be seen, and I've stricken stuff that is bullshit:

• The film is dystopian and darker than Empire. Some 30-40 years have passed since Return of the Jedi, and the Empire and New Republic have been locked in a war of attrition. Everyone is languishing and sick of the war. The script, which is described as "too good for JJ Abrams", begins in space, above a desert planet -- presumably Tatooine.

• The opening crawl details the ongoing turmoil in the galaxy. How the fall of the Emperor left a void of power, and how the heroes of Endor went into seclusion or kept fighting. (True in Luke's/Leia's cases)

• Despite the ongoing war, "spoiler man" describes the current state being similar to the European theater of 1944, with the Empire being Germany and the Republic being the Allies. The Republic has taken the upper hand.

• John Boyega and Daisy Ridley are the two leads.

• Boyega is a force-sensitive Stormtrooper under command of Gwendoline Christie's character. He defects from the Empire over the course of the movie, ending up stranded on Tatooine during the first act. Having defied orders, Boyega is hunted as a deserter. (Jakku, not Tatooine)

TIE fighter wreckage; possibly Boyega's: http://i.imgur.com/bhTMPuT.jpg

• Gwendoline Christie's character is an Inquisitor. The Inquisitors are a group of lightsaber wielding individuals that may or may not be force sensitive and head up the Imperial Remnant. Inquisitors arent Sith, but they are not Jedi either; they are dogs, hounds used to track down force sensitives, and they are implied to have assisted Vader's cleansing.

Christie's Inquisitor: http://i.imgur.com/JhrbuBy.jpg (Chrometrooper, not Inquisitor)

Inquisitor's lightsaber: http://i.imgur.com/cKiSO9B.jpg

• Daisy plays Kira, a character living on Tatooine with Max Von Sydow's character. Kira is a dusty survivalist tomboy. Sydow is a broken man from the prequel area that has become mostly cyborg. He is not force sensitive, but for some reason collects artifacts that have been at critical points during the previous films. Daisy shares his fascination with history, and is revealed in Act II to be the daughter of Han and Leia. As someone with force sensitivity, she resents the fact that Luke went into exile before he could train her, and she hopes that the search for these force-sensitive artifacts could lead her to him. She keeps her identity secret to keep trouble away. (Rey - not Kira, Jakku - not Tatooine)

Sydow's character examining Vader's helmet: http://i.imgur.com/hjVHT65.jpg

Sydow's character with Kira: http://i.imgur.com/pInbshX.jpg

• Sydow is a sort of mentor to Kira, and apparently his true identity is an Act III revelation that will surprise a lot of people. The contention is that he is an existing character from the prequel films, and the revelation of his identity will shock viewers.

• Sydow's character is "not overtly" a villain.

• Sydow's "hideout" is a downed AT-AT. Relics of the war are everywhere in the film; there is a real feeling that the entire galaxy is sick of the deadlock. (Rey's hideout, not Sydow's)

AT-AT: http://i.imgur.com/cm8eBZS.jpg; http://i.imgur.com/FIxykNK.jpg; http://i.imgur.com/LqlrmBZ.jpg

• The ball droid from the trailer belongs to Kira.

• Boyega on the desert planet (again, presumably Tatooine) meets up with Daisy and Sydow. At the end of the first act, Han Solo and Chewbacca take them all off planet in the Millennium Falcon. Shortly afterward, we learn that "Kira" is Han and Leia's daughter. She keeps her identity secret to avoid unwanted trouble. (Rey/Finn take the Falcon themselves, meet up with Han/Chewie later)

• Kira's revelation dumbfounds Boyega and "other people."

• Chewbacca's light debt extends to Han's whole family, and he has a robotic arm.

Chewbacca: http://i.imgur.com/7TGADrf.jpg

• Han takes a liking to Boyega. Throughout the film he is in love with Boyega's decision to defy orders and ruin his career in the Imperial military. Han vouches for Boyega, having gone through something similar.

• At some point, Han says the familiar "Hey, it's me." Someone of course says the familiar "I have a bad feeling about this." (Han)

• Lando's sullustan co-pilot from Return of the Jedi makes an appearance.

• Lando is in the script, and is apparently famous.

• Luke Skywalker has secluded himself from the galaxy, training a handful of students since his exile. However, he fears for his future; as he comes closer to Yoda levels of power, he becomes more and more secluded. There are no Jedi in the open, but rumors persist that Luke has trained a few since Endor.

• Boyega and Daisy become Luke's new apprentices.

• Luke exiled himself because of the ongoing war. With the galaxy in chaos, he had to ensure his safety so that a new generation could be trained. At least, that's what he says; the fact that he continues to exclude himself despite his great power indicates ulterior motive.

• His lightsaber is still green.

• Lupita Nyong'o is Luke's current apprentice.

• Luke speaks to Yoda's force ghost in the film.

• Lupita Nyong'o is Boyega's eventual love interest.

• Only Han and Leia know where Luke is, a fact we learn onboard a Mon Cal cruiser in the film's second act.

• Luke appears in Act II ala Obi Wan dropping the hood in A New Hope. He survives the movie. (Act III)

• Luke has a reveal in the film which, apparently, is stunning. (Arguably)

• Luke has grown to dislike using his lightsaber, but apparently draws it late in the movie and showcases his abilities against an Inquisitor.

• Leia is the leader of the Republic. R2D2 and C3P0 are with her during the film. (Resistance, not Republic)

• R2 and C3P0 are the only comic relief characters in the film.

• Carrie Fischer's real life daughter plays Leia in a flashback sequence. Darth Vader appears in this flashback as well, which apparently takes place on Endor.

• The Republic is building a super weapon on a Scandanavian-esque cold forsaken forest world. Its ultimate purpose is unknown. (First Order, not the Republic)

• Yavin is in the film, presumably as the Republic's base of operations. (I'll accept this one, since D'Qar has clearly been easily mistaken for Yavin)

Presumably Yavin: http://i.imgur.com/N4iJjMm.jpg; http://i.imgur.com/dBHibXF.jpg; http://i.imgur.com/blKc7tO.jpg; http://i.imgur.com/tN2vpt3.jpg (Not Yavin - Takodana and D'Qar, respectively, but all accurate concept art)

• The Han Solo archetype is split between Oscar Isaac and Domhnall Gleeson.

• Isaac is an ace pilot with the last name "Darklighter" who's been fighting the Imperial forces for years now. He's a bit of a hot shot. (Wrong name, right info)

• He inherits the Milennium Falcon and is implied to be Kira's eventual love interest.

• Domhnall Gleeson plays a scoundrel of sorts.

• John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Oscar Isaac, Domhnall Gleeson, Lupita Nyong'o, Chewbacca, and the droids (presumably Sydow's character and Kira's ball droid) are the new "big 6".

• Adam Driver's character is an ambitious, force-sensitive pilot who falls to the dark side.

• He is described as having a transformation that "only begins" in Episode VII.

• He builds his own lightsaber (the one we see in the trailer). It's referred to as a "junk" lightsaber, which is why it looks different from that which we are familiar with.

• The lightsaber battles are written by Kasdan to be minimalistic and powerful.

• Driver wears a mask because half of his face is cyborg.

• He goes looking for Andy Serkis' character on the aforementioned Scandanavian-esque forest world. (He talks to a hologram of Snoke on Starkiller Base - good enough)

Adam Driver's character: http://imageserver.moviepilot.com/sithinquisitor-star-wars-episode-7-grave-robber-s-lightsaber-is-lethal-and-pointy-star-wars-episode-7-the-new-villain-is-darth-revan.jpeg?width=960&height=960 (Broken link)

• Andy Serkis is some kind of alien Sith exempt from the Rule of Two. He is implied to have existed for a long time, be very powerful, and is the speaker in the teaser.

• Serkis is implied to have trained or used Palpatine for some obscure purpose.

• Adam Driver recieves or builds a new lightsaber after meeting with Serkis.

• The Sith are not aligned with the Empire.

• Serkis' goals differ from Palpatine's.

• Serkis does not play Darth Plagueis.

• 99.9% of the EU is disregarded. (Not sure how to handle this one :lol:)

• Like 1

starting empire strikes back, a couple of friends said this movie is the best in the series, i told them i hear that alot and we will see :lol:

Can't fucking BELIEVE that you haven't seen these. Empire rules, ending leaves a bit to be desired, but it's easily the best of the series.

i know i feel like an asshole being a fan of fantasy its like a christian never reading the bible :lol:

so i finished the empire strikes back and man were people right on this one, a sequel that pretty much destroys the original in every aspect. the thing about watching these movies is how well the special effects are being in late 1970's/early 1980s. the battle on hoth in particular was so damn good.

10/10

- fuck lando

- fuck chewie for saving 3cpo from being scrapped

- chewie gains points for choking lando

- the battle on hoth was fantastic.

- han becomes bigger badass/ the "i know" response....

- han becoming frozen sucks, but it seems he is in the new movie so im guessing he gets unfrozen somehow in the return of the jedi

- i'm guess there is more to luke and leia? seems like a strong bond there with the whole telepathy stuff going on at the end

- yoda pulling lukes starfighter out of the swamp was cool

- the beginning was a little odd with luke being kidnapped by that yeti, just seemed out of place but it was cool seeing han go all bear grylls with that ton ton was awesome.

- obi wan reminds me of barristan selmy from a song of ice and fire/game of thrones.

so tomorrow we wrap this up with return of the jedi.

- You'll learn to love Lando in ROTJ. He really was in a position he couldn't do anything about.

- "I know" is the quintessential Han moment in the entire series IMO.

oh man, to see that one for the first time again.

Just got back from seeing it. Man, I had my doubts about Abrams but he really scored this time. He knew what to give and kept us waiting for more.

First off, great cast and characters. I felt emotionally invested in every single one of them. And that lightsaber duel at the end! That is how it is done. Emotional build up and what emotion it was. Kylo Ren, don't know if I should love him or hate him, I just know that is the sign of a good writer.

Daisy was fantastic though, John was pretty good, though I think he borderlined "token Black guy" territory but he killed it at the end. Outsanding performances by Ford and Fischer.

Every bit as good as A New Hope and Empire. If I have to rank them now it be

The Empire Strikes Back

The Force Awakens

A New Hope

The Return of the Jedi

The Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones

The Phantom Menace.

I can see why they killed Han. Snork needed him to kill Han to complete his training, Kylo will be even more evil the next film.