Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

Fucking clapping.

They clapped at...

Star Wars

Han and Chewie

C-3PO

Rey getting the lightsaber.

End credits

They didn't clap for Leia or even fucking Luke.

Noticed in the second viewing the hand on R2 is definitely Luke. You can see his hand when he removes his hood on the island.

I loved it. It's not perfect, but it potentially sets up a hell of a trilogy if they play their cards right. I don't want to rank it with the other films as I've only seen it once and quite frankly, it isn't really fair since it seemed to fly by in a blur. It never felt like I was watching A New Hope 2.0. I'm seeing a lot of that, and it was a main concern of mine. Yes, there are many similar points, but it just didn't feel the same as that. Maybe that's just me. It was refreshing enough to not be the exact same movie.

One complaint I would put against this movie is that it feels like a lot is crammed in to the runtime. It's a minor complaint. It's almost a breakneck pace throughout the whole film. I like it, but I always liked the "cooldown" moments that came in the OT to break the action a bit. Still, that's a very minor thing. Not a huge deal.

Thank fuck there was natural humour and believable acting. I like the prequels, but holy fuck. It's like night and day. No stupid Padme wardrobes (and don't tell me it's because it's Nubian), no ridiculous Anakin love comments, no referring to the Force as "new powers". No shit like that. I see some people claiming the last scene was a bit long and made it awkward. But really, they could've paused that scene, played The Wonder Years theme, and it still wouldn't be as cringeworthy as anything from the prequels. Again, I'm not hating. I like them. But I'm also relieved I don't have to laugh my ass off at mediocre writing/acting.

We all knew Han was going to die, so that wasn't a big shocker. Which brings me to my next point: no major twist. Thank fuck (once again) Abrams and Kasdan didn't throw in some ridiculous twist to keep people talking until VIII. TFA stands on its own as the beginning of the trilogy, and that's it. Hell, I'm glad Ren removes his mask early. He's not an all-encompassing badass, he's vulnerable, and he still sees the light. There's no need for his mask to stay on whatsoever. Him being Han and Leia's son wasn't really a major twist. It was kind of expected that Rey/Kylo were children of the original characters. Though, we're still not sure of Rey's origin, which I think was good to leave alone for now. You could tell she was wanting to go back to Jakku to wait for someone to potentially show up, so that was an interesting point. Unless I missed something there.

The soundtrack was great, as always. However, not a lot of standout themes. I'm looking forward to listening to the actual score.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. It looked fantastic and felt like Star Wars. It has flaws, no doubt. But I think people tend to get antsy and forget that this is the beginning of a trilogy. I think it leaves a good chunk of questions for VIII to answer, and sets the table for what should be an interesting bridge to IX.

Oh, and people clapped here.

Edited by Zeppelin

So here's my only real question:

What caused R2 to "wake up" so to speak and finally spit out the info that they needed?

Han's death maybe? Like R2 is smart and he maybe was told to half power down by Luke and then when Han died the game changed and R2 knew the others had to get in touch with Luke. I don't know. That would make sense to me though.
I just think the force woke him up once rey had accepted that she was meant to be a jedi, meaning it was time for them to go find luke.

The Force Awakens R2-D2 lol

I'm wondering if maybe Luke called out because he felt Leias pain?

I know this is something that could be explained in the next one. It's just the only question I could think of when I left the theater.

I'm fine with just assuming that. Or Luke felt Han's death. Luke is so one with the Force he woudln't need to be related to feel that. I think it doesn't need to be explained. I think this is a good enough explanation to be honest. Luke calling out makes sense.

ok i finished watching star wars: a new hope for the first time. the first thing i can say is i really enjoyed the movie a lot more than i ever thought i would. I pretty much knew the plot in parts from just years of listening/reading things people had to say on the subject plus watching the family guy episodes :lol: now i have no knowledge of the prequels or the next two movies but i would give the first star wars a solid 8.5/10 would watch again.....

now a couple of things

-storm troopers are dumb as fuck throughout the movie.

- why not destroy the pod at the beginning of the movie? i wouldn't take the chance of information getting away even if it appeared to be lifeless..

- i would definitely melt down 3cpo the annoying piece of shit, although he did have one of my favorite lines in the movie when luke and company are in the trash masher and 3cpo calls them on the transmitter and hears them screaming " they are dying r2-d2, i was too late" thought that was funny

- harrison ford/han solo is a badass

- princess leia is pretty calm about alderaan being blown up

- the ending felt kind of rushed

- why didn't the empire just blow up yavin? instead of waiting to pass around its orbit to get a line of fire on the moon with the rebel base?

these are just minor quips and comes with the territory of any kind of fantasy/sci fi story.

tomorrow is the empire strikes back.

I believe there's a minimum charge time between bursts from the Death Star, and blowing up Yavin to get to Yavin IV would take longer than orbiting the planet.

Empire will blow your fucking mind - truly one of the greatest films ever made.

On the topic of clapping at TFA, and I don't consider any of this spoiler info since it's all readily known from trailers/casting...

- People cheered at the Lucasfilm logo, as well as the beginning of the opening crawl

- People cheered at the first shot of the Millenium Falcon

- People cheered at the first shot of each recurring character, including the droids

- People cheered at the credits

That makes sense it seemed to take a shit ton of power to fire the death star.

I'm fine with just assuming that. Or Luke felt Han's death. Luke is so one with the Force he woudln't need to be related to feel that. I think it doesn't need to be explained. I think this is a good enough explanation to be honest. Luke calling out makes sense.

Right on. I wasn't even trying to be nitpicky. It was just something that crossed my mind. I thought maybe I'd missed something that everyone else caught.

Right on. I wasn't even trying to be nitpicky. It was just something that crossed my mind. I thought maybe I'd missed something that everyone else caught.

Nah you didn't miss anything. it wasn't explained. I think we're left to draw our own conclusions on that one.

They acted as if Ben / Kylo Ren was weak, but he froze everything around him including laser beam. Then later comes off as Anakin in episode 3 and not as strong. I know why they killed off Han, he is very old and probably won't make it for all the following movies with the way he lives. However I thought it would have done more if he lived longer in this movie or made it to the beginning of Episode 8.

Rey is most likely Luke's daughter or Leia's daughter. However she had a flashback and remembered Ben's betrayal. I am thinking that she is Luke's daughter and witnessed everything but had repressed memories afterwards. She is drawn to the Anakin and Lukes blue lightsaber.

Cameo's in the movie: Daniel Craig, the best dialogue a storm trooper has ever got. R2D2. Luke Skywalker.

Theory. Is Ren related to Obi-Wan somehow? Accent would make a lot more sense.

So here's my only real question:

What caused R2 to "wake up" so to speak and finally spit out the info that they needed?

Han's death maybe? Like R2 is smart and he maybe was told to half power down by Luke and then when Han died the game changed and R2 knew the others had to get in touch with Luke. I don't know. That would make sense to me though.

My thoughts are, Leia has the force and is connected to Han. Leia felt Han's death, which Luke then felt because of his Force connection to Leia. Luke then woke up R2. Also remember, Obi Wan felt it when thousands of voices cried out and were silenced on Alderan. So people that don't have the force can still cause a disturbance in it.

In other news, I'm gonna go get drunk because I just read what I typed out about goddamn Star Wars.

• Like 2

starting empire strikes back, a couple of friends said this movie is the best in the series, i told them i hear that alot and we will see :lol:

Can't fucking BELIEVE that you haven't seen these. Empire rules, ending leaves a bit to be desired, but it's easily the best of the series.

starting empire strikes back, a couple of friends said this movie is the best in the series, i told them i hear that alot and we will see :lol:

Can't fucking BELIEVE that you haven't seen these. Empire rules, ending leaves a bit to be desired, but it's easily the best of the series.

i know i feel like an asshole being a fan of fantasy its like a christian never reading the bible :lol:

so i finished the empire strikes back and man were people right on this one, a sequel that pretty much destroys the original in every aspect. the thing about watching these movies is how well the special effects are being in late 1970's/early 1980s. the battle on hoth in particular was so damn good.

10/10

- fuck lando

- fuck chewie for saving 3cpo from being scrapped

- chewie gains points for choking lando

- the battle on hoth was fantastic.

- han becomes bigger badass/ the "i know" response....

- han becoming frozen sucks, but it seems he is in the new movie so im guessing he gets unfrozen somehow in the return of the jedi

- i'm guess there is more to luke and leia? seems like a strong bond there with the whole telepathy stuff going on at the end

- yoda pulling lukes starfighter out of the swamp was cool

- the beginning was a little odd with luke being kidnapped by that yeti, just seemed out of place but it was cool seeing han go all bear grylls with that ton ton was awesome.

- obi wan reminds me of barristan selmy from a song of ice and fire/game of thrones.

so tomorrow we wrap this up with return of the jedi.

Edited by bran

Reports are now saying the movie will cross the $100 million mark before the night is even over.

How do presales factor into that? Because it was already over $100 million in presales.

presales counted for the overall money made. So presale tickets that people had bought for like Christmas day and shit were factored into that. The $100 million I posted abou was the money made JUST for Thursday and FriDAY(prior to the evening shows) alone.

you mean the ending leaves you wanting a LOT more. It does not leav a bit to be desired. The ending is fucking awesome.