Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

Finn never used the force, he just thought he could.

I still think Rey has to be Luke's daughter. But where did Luke find the time to knock some girl up?

Yeah, I answered the he would use the Force and he didn't, so I missed that one.

Rey wasn't explicitly revealed to be a Skywalker even though everyone seems to agree she is, so for the sake of the contest the answer will be a "no".

starting return of the jedi.

Hopefully you're watching the original version and not a remastered version (AKA any one after 1997 or the 2000's).

its a 6 dvd limited edition from 2006(each movie has 2 dvd's) im watching the one that says theatrical version. what does the other contain?

Edited by bran

starting return of the jedi.

Hopefully you're watching the original version and not a remastered version (AKA any one after 1997 or the 2000's).

its a 6 dvd limited edition from 2006(each movie has 2 dvd's) im watching the one that says theatrical version. what does the other contain?

Think along the lines of DD changing Sansa's book character to Jeyne Poole for the rape scenes. Do not watch.

• Like 1

I think people who found it disappointing or bad have expectations that were unrealistic or difficult to achieve given the task at had.

Making a new Star Wars movie is almost more mathematical than it is artistic and creative. I think being a fan and loving the series comes with the ability to recognize what it is and where it stands in the true world of cinema.

I think if I had to describe the entire point of what it means to enjoy a Star Wars movie in one word, it would be 'charming'.

This film was charming, which was a massive massive relief when placed next to the hollow, emotionless, wooden, and awkward bullshit the prequels put us through. On that line of contained logic, I couldn't possibly call this movie objectively 'bad'

Edited by Dan H.
  • Like 1

Carrie basically told Daisy not to be the set whore.

Don't know what that says about either of them.

dark_Giggity.gif

finished return of the jedi, it was a damn good way to end a trilogy. the ewoks are a little weird, kind of have a love/hate thing going for them. i hate the concept but i love the concept of teddy bears beating the shit out of storm troopers with stone clubs. 9/10

- leia strangling jabba the hutt to death was awesome.

- lando completely redeeming himself and becoming badass

- seemed 3cpo annoyed me less in this movie but i would still scrap his ass if i had the chance

- r2d2 much respect

- princess leia and luke being twins

- han asking leia if she loved luke and when leia says yes, han being badass saying he would step away, just for leia to drop the brother bomb on him, guess no cersei/jamie shit going on in the galaxy far far away.

- badass battle on endor, plus the air battle was cool.

- needed more emperor guy was awesome

- nice moment at the end with luke and darth vader.

i cant believe it took me this long to watch these movies, especially after buying the dvd's years ago :lol: glad i did since they were a lot of fun, kind of want to watch the prequels just to see how annakin went to the dark side. my guess something to do with leia and lukes mother? anyway i will watch the force awakens next week.

so my order goes

1. empire strikes back

2. return of the jedi

3. a new hope

Edited by bran

If it isn't shot for 3/D, then I don't see it in 3/D. Simple rule

Our IMAX theatre is also not 'true' IMAX, so I won't waste my money on a ticket.

Saw it in standard digital and it was very crisp and enjoyable

Can you give me an ELI5 on this "true" IMAX thing? I've seen this fact mentioned here and there on Reddit, and I don't really understand it.

Looks like IMAX is 70mm, fake IMAX is digital.

http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-imax-theatre-real-imax-liemax/

That, and I think the sound quality is held to a more specific standard.

Honestly I have a buddy who knows about all of this, and I'm kindof riding of his complaints, but not remembering the specific facts and details.

I think his overall logic is that IMAX theaters are built with rigorous specific acoustics, sound design, seat placing, screen dimension and resolution, and equipment.

In my specific example, the big cinema in town converted a digital "mega screen" auditorium into an IMAX(or got certified by the IMAX company to use the brand name) but it is not near the same quality as a classic IMAX auditorium like you would find in Chicago or whatever big city that was specifically designed to show films in a higher quality setting, if that makes sense?

I'll chat with my buddy tomorrow and ask him to fill in the gaps on my flimsy explanation :lol:

What has happened to the republic as established in RotJ? The film did not make any sense and we are immediately in a rebellion against a 'first order'.

Horrible. I hate this film with a passion.

Sure. But I know you won't stop until everyone knows how much you hated it.

That is not really true. I was interested in the discussion of the film, and my problems with it, but seeing as I am being depicted as a henious hater - a cupcake - I will depart from your worship of this film. But it really is a shit film. The acting is laughable. All it is in fact is an inferior remake of the first film.

Seriously man you are such a clown. You're such a phoney it's not even funny. You hate this film with a passion? You try way too fucking hard to be cool and different. I could understand someone not loving it but to go on the way you do is just so fake.

Well I did not like the film!! I'm entitled to that viewpoint. I do realise you have a hard on for me since I declared a hatred for all things U2...

U2 has nothing to do with this you but yeah bring up something completely irrlevant because you got nothing else of value to add. Seriously the fact you sit there and say the movie absolutely sucks is just fake ass t r olling on your part to be different. Pretty obvious. Your "opinion" on this movie was predetermined and it's obvious with the way you've posted in this and the other thread.

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1

I just saw it, and loved it. Honestly I don't know how any star wars fan could not at least "like it", it's freaking star wars. I don't think it touches the OT, but nothing can. I know this will surprise some, but I'm not sure which film I like better sith or this one, but I've always loved Sith. But this film is not better than Jedi, I don't know how anyone can honestly say that, Jedi has (arguably) the best climax of the entire series. Besides both Luke vs Vader light saber battles will always be #1 and #2, the rest fall in behind those. That reason, and that reason alone puts Jedi a head of this film.

But having said all of that, I freaking loved every minute of this film.

My rank

1. Empire 10/10

2. Jedi 9/10

3. A new Hope 8.5/10

4. Force Awakins 8.2/10

5. Sith 8/10

6. Clone 7/10

7. Phantom menace 6.5/10

I still like and enjoy the prequels. Yes they are flawed, but they are still an important part of the overall story IMO. Sith has always been closest to the OT for me, until force Awkens. I give it a percentage points advantage over Sith. But I like Anakin vs Dooku, Yoda vs Palpatine, and Mace vs Palpatine more than Rey vs Ren. But I still enjoyed Rey vs Ren. Anakin vs Obi Wan from Sith is borderline reduculous though, brings down the film imo. But having said that, watching Anakins downfall is a very interesting chapter in the overall saga, it isn't perfect, but it isn't bad either. Clones and Phantom Menace are far more flawed than Sith is imo.

The opening of TFA is much better than the entire scene at Jabba's Palace in my opinion and the ending of TFA is pretty close to ROTJ in my opinion. This makes the argument for it being a better film overall than Jedi very valid.

The Prequels are not important to the overall story whatsoever. You need the original trilogy to get what's going on in TFA but you do not need the preuels for anyting. They truly add nothing of value to the story. And I'm sorry but liking those garbage lightsaber battles you mentioned more than Rey vs Ren just makes me shake my head. They are all shit completely void of any real emotion or intensity. Garbely goop crap thats more fit for dancing with the stars than Star Wars.

i cant believe it took me this long to watch these movies, especially after buying the dvd's years ago :lol: glad i did since they were a lot of fun, kind of want to watch the prequels just to see how annakin went to the dark side. my guess something to do with leia and lukes mother? anyway i will watch the force awakens next week.

Trust me what you can imagine in our head when it comes to Anakin's down fall is a million times better than what you'll see in the prequels. My honest opinion is do yourself th favour of never watching them. Truly 3 of the worst movies of all time.

For what it's worth (and numerical rankings are shallow) here is my rating system

Empire 10/10 for cinema perfection

A New Hope 8.5/10 for classic nostalgia and undeniable charm

Jedi 7.5/10 many iconic scenes and morality pondering, but flawed

TFA 7.5/10 outstanding action, well constructive and effective plot, decent pacing, and tasteful fan service

RotS 5.5/10 this film has occasional good moments that work well in the context of the series, and touches on darkness and the perceived morality of the Jedi and Sith in simple yet effective ways

The Phantom Menace 3/10 I'm only awarding this any acknowledgement, because it is the one and only prequel film that actually feels and moves like a Star Wars film, albeit a boring one

Attack of The Clones 1/10 I sometimes wake up during this movie, and catch a few seconds of what could possibly some ounce of soul or creativity that is desperately scraped from the bottom of this garbage heap(Ewan McGregor's Obi Wan stands out during his investigative detective sub plot).

Kind of want to watch the prequels.

Seriously dude. Just don't. I saw the first two in the cinema when they came out and to this day I've still not seen the third all the way through. They really are THAT bad and bad to the point that they actually spoil the original trilogy to an extent.

Seriously dude. Just don't. I saw the first two in the cinema when they came out and to this day I've still not seen the third all the way through. They really are THAT bad and bad to the point that they actually spoil the original trilogy to an extent.

You are depriving him of his midichlorian count.

You are depriving him of his midichlorian count.

Arrrrrrrrggghhhhhhhh!!!!!! He said the "M" word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :vomit::vomit::vomit:

I think they portrayed Leia's reaction to Han's death about right. They have obviously been apart for quite some time, and she has probably already grieved what they had, and dealt with Han not being in her life. Also, she is now a big General type person, so breaking down in tears in front of her troops wouldn't have been right.

I think they portrayed Leia's reaction to Han's death about right. They have obviously been apart for quite some time, and she has probably already grieved what they had, and dealt with Han not being in her life. Also, she is now a big General type person, so breaking down in tears in front of her troops wouldn't have been right.

I had the same opinion.

I guess I'm missing the boat on what makes RotS such a good movie. I like it, but it's still dull and has some of the most cringeworthy moments in all of SW. I know TFA has a lot of fan service, but it's still done properly with a few context issues. RotS is a mess that makes light of the Force several times, has some of the worst love/romance scenes in cinematic history, has horrendous special effects, and then there's the dialogue. Some of these things can be overlooked and I can get on board with Anakin's thirst for power. But his character accelerates from a little bitch (and I'm not talking about Episode I) to killing children and being apprentice to a Sith in like an hour.

I don't know. I think I missed something. It's a 5/10 at best. Has some really cool parts, but that's really it. TFA is already way ahead of it.

I guess I'm missing the boat on what makes RotS such a good movie. I like it, but it's still dull and has some of the most cringeworthy moments in all of SW. I know TFA has a lot of fan service, but it's still done properly with a few context issues. RotS is a mess that makes light of the Force several times, has some of the worst love/romance scenes in cinematic history, has horrendous special effects, and then there's the dialogue. Some of these things can be overlooked and I can get on board with Anakin's thirst for power. But his character accelerates from a little bitch (and I'm not talking about Episode I) to killing children and being apprentice to a Sith in like an hour.

I don't know. I think I missed something. It's a 5/10 at best. Has some really cool parts, but that's really it. TFA is already way ahead of it.

I liked RotS but I have TFA way ahead of it. Then again, I like TFA better than ANH & RotJ as well. It's second only to ESB for me.

ROTS has some issues, namely bad, bad dialog, but it was a lot of fun, looks awesome, had a terrific villain with Palpatine, had an engaging story and a great finale. TFA dragged for much of the film, had a weak, predictable story and didn't explain a lot. Who are the First Order? Are they part of the Empire or something totally different? And who is Snoke? Is he a Sith lord? In terms of storytelling, this was as bad as J.J.'s horrid 2009 Trek shitfest.

ROTS has some issues, namely bad, bad dialog, but it was a lot of fun, looks awesome, had a terrific villain with Palpatine, had an engaging story and a great finale. TFA dragged for much of the film, had a weak, predictable story and didn't explain a lot. Who are the First Order? Are they part of the Empire or something totally different? And who is Snoke? Is he a Sith lord? In terms of storytelling, this was as bad as J.J.'s horrid 2009 Trek shitfest.

It is fun. I'm with you on that one. But that's about all it has going for it. We all knew Palpatine was the villain way before that, so that's not really that interesting. Even Palpatine was hammy in Sith. He was much more cold and calculating in the first two movies. I know TFA is missing some context about the story so far, but there's mystery and questions to be answered in a new trilogy. The prequels were already set up so we knew what was going to happen: Anakin's rise to Vader and the establishment of the Empire. It wasn't a big shocker, and Lucas still fucked it up.

I'm much more pleased with Snoke being a mystery at this point, considering everyone already thinks he's Plagueis. I'm not saying TFA was the perfect SW film and it is missing context, but it never drags. It's non-stop action. Which isn't actually one of my favourite parts of the movie. But I don't really see how it drags. It's over before you know it. Probably the most action packed SW movie to date. I will agree that if you view this as A New Hope 2.0, then it's a bit disappointing. But there's way more than meets the eye so far. A lot of things to be curious about, which makes it a good start to the trilogy IMO.

Revenge of the Sith has some of the best bits in the prequel trilogy by quite a way, but it's still a pretty poor film with some of the most cringe inducing moments. My favourite part of the whole trilogy was Order 66.

• Like 1