Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

watched it this afternoon the place was still jam packed.

I really enjoyed the movie, rey is a badass character and i lked finn quite a bit as well, but Poe could be the best. I would have like to see more background in what happened after return of the jedi, a lot of questions remain unanswered but i would imagine in the next movies we will see these answered, it seemed they played it a little safe maybe to win people back(seems the prequels are a love/hate kind of thing)

8.5/10

empire strikes back 10/10

return of the jedi 9/10

a new hope/the force awakens 8.5/10

so is rey luke's daughter? or did leia fuck around behind han's back? i mean she seems pretty strong, seeing kylo shit his pants when he realized rey couldn't be forced to give information all the while rey fucking owned him and read his mind.

The movie doesn't say what The First Order is, doesn't explain what happened to the Empire, who Snoke is, etc. The film was poorly written.

Again, the story isn't over. I mean, the A New Hope didn't explain the role of the Emperor(again, he is revealed only as a hologram, in the same way as Snoke), who Darth Vader was, the motivations of the Empire, Tarkin's character, the political role of Leia, The Senate, or any well detailed exposition. Those answers came in later films.

It's just one third of a story. A story that was never very intricate to begin with. It's a fairy tale in space, it's never really been about the details and exposition.

Edited by Dan H.

The movie doesn't say what The First Order is, doesn't explain what happened to the Empire, who Snoke is, etc. The film was poorly written.

Again, the story isn't over. I mean, the A New Hope didn't explain the role of the Emperor(again, he is revealed only as a hologram, in the same way as Snoke), who Darth Vader was, the motivations of the Empire, Tarkin's character, the political role of Leia, The Senate, or any well detailed exposition. Those answers came in later films.

It's just one third of a story. A story that was never very intricate to begin with. It's a fairy tale in space, it's never really been about the details and exposition.

This is coming from a guy who thought Spectre "wrapped everything up nicely"

I agree, we only get 1/3 of the story. There's two more films before we can bitch about them not explaining shit.

Ok, I've seen it 3 times now so here is my review.

I hyped this up like never before, so I am so happy to say it 100% delivered for me. The premiere was awesome, I went to the local imax with my friends and gf. It was packed, we all had lightsabers, and the crowd was great. No one was annoying, people clapped and cheered but only at the right moments.

Anyways, I think all of the new characters are fantastic. Kylo really resonated with me, he is what Anakin should have been. Loved Rey, Finn, and Poe too. Harrison Ford was the best he's been in years, Carrie was fine, the action was great, and I loved the story.

My favorite scenes were the bridge (Han and Bens conversation and the death were great), the duel (especially when the sword flew to Rey), and the final shot. The music, sound, and special effects all made it a complete package. I also think they did a great job handling Luke. He was a massive presence in the film without really being in it and the ending was even more emotional because of it.

I do have some minor nitpicks, Rey was kind of OP, Snokes cgi wasn't as good as I'd hoped, and Phasma was wasted but these re all extremely minor. I understand the New Hope criticism, but this movie benefitted from playing parts safe. Besides, the core movie is so much more than Starkiller Base. It also took some big risks with the old characters- Han and Leia split, their son turned, Luke isn't really in the movie, and the big 3 didn't and nevery will have a scene together. These were risks that actually paid off.

I can't wait to see where the story goes and to find out more about Rey and Kylos past.

10/10

watched it this afternoon the place was still jam packed.

I really enjoyed the movie, rey is a badass character and i lked finn quite a bit as well, but Poe could be the best. I would have like to see more background in what happened after return of the jedi, a lot of questions remain unanswered but i would imagine in the next movies we will see these answered, it seemed they played it a little safe maybe to win people back(seems the prequels are a love/hate kind of thing)

8.5/10

empire strikes back 10/10

return of the jedi 9/10

a new hope/the force awakens 8.5/10

Don't forget to move over to the spoiler thread if you want to get any more specific in your thoughts than that ;)

Almost $250 million on its first weekend. The film made a profit on its opening weekend.

That's just domestic, mind you. Over half a billion worldwide I believe.

Another gripe I have, though minor, is the fact that Abrams makes it feel that everything is close by. Space travel seems so quick, like everything is right there. The rest of the trilogy going forward would benefit from more scenes like the one in ESB when Luke is flying to Dagobah. He's just flying and talking to R2, talking about how he's not meeting up with the others and he's going to manually control the X-Wing for a while. Just little things like this give the galaxy a sort of weight to it. Still a minor thing, when you can assume that a time gap has been filled when they are travelling in the new movie. But scenes like these would still be useful.

At the same time, Han and the others went from escaping Hoth to going to Cloud city in days and Luke acted like he learned so much but he was only training for a few days.

I felt that was a little off especially how yoda goes from "this guy is too old to ever learn to be badass" to " you must finish your training" to dead in like a week :lol:

Oh, fuck off, Diesel

10/10? Come on! You are describing a film of absolute perfection if you are giving a film 10/10 there. If a film attains 10/10 everything has to be operating at absolute maximum. This is like The Bicycle Thieves or Seven Samurai standard! If you are using the analogy of Star Wars you might say Empire Strikes Back. There can be no little flaws whatsoever in a film that is 10/10. And this backstory, lack of, is just being explained away as if the people leaving the cinema are rather stupid and have not realised that there are ''two more films''. Yet if people leaving the cinema are going ''ehh'', then people are leaving the cinema going ''ehh'. It is clearly a problem. A film is meant to apply adequate context so it feels like a complete movie experience.

yeah but wouldnt that be like complaining a book in the first chapter doesnt tell you everything about the rest of the story in the other chapters?

But it is a problem if people are leaving the cinemas and asking questions. You have to remember that with the first star wars you were discussing something new. It was sufficent to establish the fact that there is an evil empire led by a Darth Vader, and a good rebellion against that said empire, and to deliver a background in Jedi hocus pocus. That was all you needed tom know. With a fourth film essentially you are asking audiences to resume a relationship with characters thirty years later. Basically there is a thirty year interval that does require some degree of explanation, seeing as the ending to Return of the Jedi was depicted as something which was (relatively) finite. Audiences rather assumed,

- an end of the empire

- an establishment of a republic

- an establishment of a new Jedi order

- Leia and Han marry and live happy ever after

Roughly those four.

To destroy all four requires, or more to the point, to simply act that all four did not take place after all, requires explanation.

• Like 1

yeah but wouldnt that be like complaining a book in the first chapter doesnt tell you everything about the rest of the story in the other chapters?

But it is a problem if people are leaving the cinemas and asking questions. You have to remember that with the first star wars you were discussing something new. It was sufficent to establish the fact that there is an evil empire led by a Darth Vader, and a good rebellion against that said empire, and to deliver a background in Jedi hocus pocus. That was all you needed tom know. With a fourth film essentially you are asking audiences to resume a relationship with characters thirty years later. Basically there is a thirty year interval that does require some degree of explanation, seeing as the ending to Return of the Jedi was depicted as something which was (relatively) finite. Audiences rather assumed,

- an end of the empire

Roughly those four.

To destroy all four requires, or more to the point, to simply act that all four did not take place after all, requires explanation.

I'm sure Luke training a load of pure good Jedi before going to Leia and Han's for Sunday dinner would've made for a great film.

• Like 1

- an end of the empire

Roughly those four.

I'm sure Luke training a load of pure good Jedi before going to Leia and Han's for Sunday dinner would've made for a great film.

Well you obviously have to balls it up to continue the story.