Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

You are however returning to characters thirty years on and almost nothing makes sense, the world that should have been established in Jedi. With IV and V these were new characters and a new world so you just accepted stuff as it was given to you.

I think you're looking at it too much as a sequel to Return of the Jedi in that case. It's the sequel trilogy, but it's primarily a trilogy in its own right. I quite like the fact that it turned out the happy ending we thought we got was short lived, there was still evil, Han and Leia didn't work out, and Luke (possibly indirectly) accidentally presented a new opportunity for the dark side. Again, I said this earlier, it would've been exceptionally terrible if everything was 100% dandy thirty years on, or if they'd completely ignored those characters.

The dialog was simply awful at some points

We could have had a heavy "Han, I'm your son" moment on the bridge where Han simply believed his son was missing but it turns out to be Kylo when he removes the helmet, but instead the movie gives away that Han and Leia are his parents within the first hour with some weird dialog between him, Snoke and the Vader helmet. They didn't try to leave any mystery either with who Rey's related to.

The dialog was simply awful at some points

We could have had a heavy "Han, I'm your son" moment on the bridge where Han simply believed his son was missing but it turns out to be Kylo when he removes the helmet, but instead the movie gives away that Han and Leia are his parents within the first hour with some weird dialog between him, Snoke and the Vader helmet. They didn't try to leave any mystery either with who Rey's related to.

No way lol. The movie handled the reveal perfectly.

It would have been so cheesy and awkward if they made its big 'plot twist' reveal type thing.

I love love love that they handle it very casually, and give us the reveal in the midst of a natural conversation. Oh my god it would have been so cringe worthy if they made it an 'I am your Father' moment. That could have easily ruined Han's entire death scene for me.

I dunno what that has to do with the dialogue though. That's just a decision that the writers made. Honestly I thought the dialogue was completely fine. Didn't notice anything awkward or unusual in any of the conversations.

Edited by Dan H.

No way lol. The movie handled the reveal perfectly.

It would have been so cheesy and awkward if they made its big 'plot twist' reveal type thing.

I love love love that they handle it very casually, and give us the reveal in the midst of a natural conversation. Oh my god it would have been so cringe worthy if they made it an 'I am your Father' moment. That could have easily ruined Han's entire death scene for me.

I dunno what that has to do with the dialogue though. That's just a decision that the writers made. Honestly I thought the dialogue was completely fine. Didn't notice anything awkward or unusual in any of the conversations.

The entire movie was a collection of Star Wars cliches, it would have fit right in :lol:

• Like 1

everybody is entitled to their opinion, but folks giving it a 1/10 come on. i had a great time watching it and i'm looking forward to the next movie. no i didn't give it a 10/10 and expectations were very high so i was mildly let down. overall i think it's a good start to the rest of the trilogy. can't believe that was the first time han shot chewies weapon after all the years they've been sidekicks. i'm curious to see if finn will be using a lightsaber in the next movie.

Still wondering why C3PO's arm changed at the end :lol:

Also thought it was a little silly that no one, especially Leia, seemed real surprised when R2 woke up.

In the beginning of the movie Kylo reminded me of someone who was just in a costume not knowing what to do. Out of place? Not sure how else to describe it. He got better as the movie went on though.

• Like 1

That's the lovely thing about the internet. Either it's an unbelievable masterpiece, or it's dogshit. The movie isn't perfect and has flaws, but it's plenty of fun and a nice return to form for Star Wars.

Also thought it was a little silly that no one, especially Leia, seemed real surprised when R2 woke up.

In the beginning of the movie Kylo reminded me of someone who was just in a costume not knowing what to do. Out of place? Not sure how else to describe it. He got better as the movie went on though.

That whole R2 woke up thing is so odd. Even Abrams' explanation for it doesn't do much for me.

• Like 2

The R2D2 thing is my only real gripe about the plot and potential holes in it, everything else I feel can be answered or is clearly posed for the next film, but that really did just reduce R2D2 to a plot device and nothing more. I hadn't noticed C3PO's arm, good spot. Maybe someone found the time to paint it while everyone else was working on destroying Starkiller :lol: As for Kylo, I saw him the entire way through as someone in a costume not knowing what to do, and I think that was good direction and acting rather than Anakin being shit in the prequels. He's essentially dressing up as Darth Vader and pretending to be him, way out of his league. When we leave him, anyway. I expect less tantrums and more viciousness in the next film.

• Like 1

i don't know why they didn't explain the red arm, kind of stupid when they add stuff like that and don't address it.

kylo, hux, and snoke were the diet coke of evil. not very menacing.

Someone name me a line from this movie that wasn't in the trailer.

Seriously? Almost none of the dialogue in the film was in the trailers.

My point was that there aren't that many memorable lines.

Okay, I'll play along. Some of the quotes/exchanges I can remember after two viewings - can't recite any of the longer quotes/monologues quite yet:

"This will begin to make things right."
"So how do we do this? Do you talk first, or do I talk first?"
"Why are you doing this?"

"It's the right thing."

"...You need a pilot."

"...I need a pilot."

"What's your name?"

"FN-2187."

"FN-2187 - what's that?"

"It's the only name I've ever known."

"Okay - FN-2187. FN. Finn, I'm gonna call you Finn."

"Finn - I like that!"

"Tell whoever stole this ship from me that Han Solo just stole it back."

"Han Solo - you're Han Solo?!?"

"I used to be."

"Han Solo, you mean the Rebellion general?"

"No - Han Solo the smuggler!"

"This is Millennium Falcon?!? This is the ship that made the Kessel Run in fourteen parsecs!"

"Twelve parsecs."

"...Fourteen."

"You changed your hair."

"..Same jacket."

There's a limit to 7 quotes on the forum, but you get the idea. I don't think there's any less memorable quotes than any other Star Wars film.

Someone name me a line from this movie that wasn't in the trailer.

Seriously? Almost none of the dialogue in the film was in the trailers.

My point was that there aren't that many memorable lines.

Han Solo: "Chewie, we're home."

Han Solo: You changed your hair.

Leia: Same jacket.

Maz: Han Solo! Where's my boyfriend?

Han Solo: Chewie's working on the Falcon.

Maz Kanata: I like that wookie.

Finn: "You understand that thing?"

Finn: "I need help with this big hairy thing!"

Rey: This is the ship that made the Kessel Run in fourteen parsecs?

Han Solo: Twelve!

Edited by Daedalus

The R2D2 thing is my only real gripe about the plot and potential holes in it, everything else I feel can be answered or is clearly posed for the next film, but that really did just reduce R2D2 to a plot device and nothing more. I hadn't noticed C3PO's arm, good spot. Maybe someone found the time to paint it while everyone else was working on destroying Starkiller :lol: As for Kylo, I saw him the entire way through as someone in a costume not knowing what to do, and I think that was good direction and acting rather than Anakin being shit in the prequels. He's essentially dressing up as Darth Vader and pretending to be him, way out of his league. When we leave him, anyway. I expect less tantrums and more viciousness in the next film.

The R2 thing is my only sticking point right now as well. I didn't notice 3POs arm either, but a friend pointed it out after the 3rd viewing. Not sure what's going on there.

As for Ren, I expect the same. I would assume completing his training will lead to him having more focus and being able to control his anger.

For some reason it didn't break any records on Saturday. I wonder why? Bad weather? People not wanting to deal with crowds?

It was the last Saturday before Christmas. People are busy. If you didn't see it Thursday or Friday, you were probably fine waiting until the week or when you get some time off related to the holidays. It's what happened with me, as I didn't get a chance to see it until today.

Keep in mind Titanic made $27 million its opening weekend and Avatar made around $72 million its opening weekend. I'd be surprised if this movie didn't clear $2 billion and give Avatar a run for its money. The international market is so much larger now than it was when Avatar was released.

Btw, no one clapped until the closing credits at my screening today.

China is going to be massive for this film. SPECTRE broke all kinds of records there and that wasn't even the "event film" of the year, whereas Star Wars is.

I recently got a chance to flip thru that concept art book which revealed some unused story ideas. Here's what I liked:

-Rey (then called Kira and later Thea) had a home world based on biomes other than a desert, but that awesome concept of her scavenging from star destroyer ruins was always there.

-Kylo Ren (then called Jedi Killer) was originally the leader of a band of pirates who traveled around on an old Star Destroyer painted red, instead of being affiliated with The First Order (then called the Neo Empire).

-At one point Kira lived on Endor and scavenged things from ruins of the second Death Star underwater. The map to the first Jedi temple was gonna be hidden in the old Emperor's throne and Han and Chewy were gonna show up on the Falcon and take it underwater to try to get it.

-Jedi Killer would look at holograms of Luke and it would further fuel his hatred for him.

-The homeworld of the Neo Empire was gonna play off of a "fire and ice" concept at one point, as in a relatively even blend of lava and snow. Jedi Killer's saber was also gonna be a double-blade at this point with one blade being blue and the other being red to go along with this concept.

-The Neo Empire's main fortress was also gonna be a castle (like Vader's unused castle from Empire Strikes Back), and at one point they were thinking of having it on Dantooine, to play off that joke from the original film (I woulda actually had The Resistance here instead)

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

yeah attack of the clones is the first star wars movie i diidnt enjoy 3/10

- ewan mcgregor is awesome as obi wan

- less jar jar which is good(read that theory powerage, fucking crazy lol)

- im so going to try out some of anakins epic pick up lines.

- i feel some of this stuff would have been more powerful with better writing and acting. like anakin going nuts and killing all those tusken raiders but the acting was wooden and it just felt off, all the pieces were there but the execution failed IMO

- the end battle was decent but the cgi kind of pulled me out of it a bit.

- is it just me or is yoda stupid in this movie?

- christopher lee is always awesome.

anyway we finish up the prequels tonight with revenge of the sith.

Edited by bran

Here's some more I forgot earlier:

-There was gonna be some ancient saber with a handle made of wood scraps and rope and a little lever thing instead of an ignition button and shit. Looked cool.

-The "gun" of the new super weapon was gonna be a volcano, and Poe Dameron (then called John Doe) woulda destroyed this thing by diving right into it to give it a critical hit, and then pull out at the last minute right before it destructs. No trench like the original or internal-beam destruction like ROTJ.

-Jedi Killer woulda used the force to throw massive bolders at some of the x-wings at one point.

-Kira and Finn (then called Sam and later Skylar), woulda had a speeder-chase sequence from some Stormtroopers in the snow.

-Asteroids were turned into these funky-looking weapon things for the Neo Empire to use.

-Maz Kanata owned a robot fighting ring that people could put bets on, instead of just running a cantina ripoff.

I think that's it as far as stuff from that concept art collection book that I liked.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1