Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

The film is ahead of Avatar domestically compared to where Avatar was at its six-day mark. Amazing in every respect.

To be fair though Avatar didn't have a record-breaking opening weekend. It was when it barely dropped at all in its second weekend that it became apparent the film had staying power.

The film is ahead of Avatar domestically compared to where Avatar was at its six-day mark. Amazing in every respect.

To be fair though Avatar didn't have a record-breaking opening weekend. It was when it barely dropped at all in its second weekend that it became apparent the film had staying power.
True, but all the same the success is incredible. Edited by James Bond
  • Like 1

True, but all the same the success is incredible.

Yeah, I don't see Batman v Superman or Civil War topping this, will probably have to wait until Episode VIII before that opening weekend is beaten.

While I don't mind all-digital, there was an incredible lack of foresight when they chose to shoot the film at 1080p; I mean, just over a decade after its release we now have 4K home video.

No we don't. The first 4K Blu-ray player isn't even on the market til next year. Did they shoot this digital or on film? I believe certain fil can still be zoomed to 4K scans.

This new one was shot on film. Not digital

So a 4k transfer should be doable.

Fuck Avatar.

THANK YOU.

Visually it's amazing, but story-wise it's pretty lame and boring in my opinion, and none of the acting is particularly good.

It disappoints me that Cameron is wasting his time with what, three more sequels? And honestly, I don't see any of them don't as good as the first.

How is he going to top Avatar? The Navi are going jump from the screen and give us all blowjobs? It didn't even launch the career of Sam Worthington. The Avatar shipped sailed. Nice to look at but I didn't give a fuck about those blue tree-huggers. I hope they get blown off the planet.

• Like 2

Snoke may or may not be Darth Plageuis, it doesn't really matter either way. But who he is, I guarantee is Anakin's father. He started it all, and Anakin will be discovered as not being the chosen one, because he did indeed have a father.

He's gonna be Darth Plegueis, trust me. His theme song is almost note-for-note "The Tragedy of Darth Plegueis" from Episode III, he's cited as "wise", like Plegueis, he's been said to have seen the empire rise and fall, and what you said about Anakin's father, well, Plegueis can "manipulate midichlorians and create life" so... Anakin could easily have been created by him.

EDIT: Plus, all the origin stories on Plegueis except for Episode III are not canon anymore. He's not necessarily a Muun now, it's never been said in canon.

Edited by Cosmo

Fuck Avatar.

THANK YOU.
Visually it's amazing, but story-wise it's pretty lame and boring in my opinion, and none of the acting is particularly good.

It disappoints me that Cameron is wasting his time with what, three more sequels? And honestly, I don't see any of them don't as good as the first.

I think the first sequel will be successful because it's on the back of the first one (despite the time gap). It won't top the first Avatar or Star Wars by any means but it'll make some good money as Cameron films tend to do. However, I don't see the the staying power of three sequels that are released yearly like he plans. It's overkill for a story that people aren't exactly sitting around waiting for. The rumour is that Cameron is planning to retire after he's done with Avatar, which is a shame he's wasting his time with that instead of newer, further groundbreaking ideas as he has done in the past.

That's the lovely thing about the internet. Either it's an unbelievable masterpiece, or it's dogshit. The movie isn't perfect and has flaws, but it's plenty of fun and a nice return to form for Star Wars.

Still wondering why C3PO's arm changed at the end :lol:

Also thought it was a little silly that no one, especially Leia, seemed real surprised when R2 woke up.

In the beginning of the movie Kylo reminded me of someone who was just in a costume not knowing what to do. Out of place? Not sure how else to describe it. He got better as the movie went on though.

That whole R2 woke up thing is so odd. Even Abrams' explanation for it doesn't do much for me.

I thought the movie would be shit, but I liked it.

My only complaints are none of the new cast members seem memorable and the supreme leader doesn't have much of a back story (he better in the next one), which might be a problem in later installments. I'm not particularly excited to see a sequel with the characters they have now here.

I just don't understand all the kylo Ren hate. people kept saying they wanted a complex villain with flaws and then when they got it they bitched about it. Makes no sense. The kid acted well. The character was still developing. It was refreshing to see a villain with an arc instead of a generic OP fully-formed villain

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 3

I just don't understand all the kylo Ren hate. people kept saying they wanted a complex villain with flaws and then when they got it they bitched about it. Makes no sense. The kid acted well. The character was still developing. It was refreshing to see a villain with an arc instead of a generic OP fully-formed villain

Exactly. They wanted another dark, quiet Sith lord with mysterious backgrounds like Darth Maul, Count Dooku, Vader in the original trilogy... Let's freshen up, people. I loved their approach with this. Kylo Ren is tESB's Luke except in the dark side.

Darth Maul was really cool looking and he fought well but he was really boring. He had like three lines and he gets sliced in half. Christopher Lee was just wasted as Dooku. You have fucking Dracula and Saruman in a Star Wars film and he gets killed off in the beginning of Sith. That was bullshit.

Kylo is interesting at least. He can easily be written off as hero worshipping Darth Vadar but what he really wants is to reach the point of the Dark Side Vadar wasn't able to reach. He is very emotional but that is actually the Sith way. But he isn't really a Sith is he? He is a Ren. I wonder what the difference is?

• Like 1

Darth Maul was really cool looking and he fought well but he was really boring. He had like three lines and he gets sliced in half. Christopher Lee was just wasted as Dooku. You have fucking Dracula and Saruman in a Star Wars film and he gets killed off in the beginning of Sith. That was bullshit.

Kylo is interesting at least. He can easily be written off as hero worshipping Darth Vadar but what he really wants is to reach the point of the Dark Side Vadar wasn't able to reach. He is very emotional but that is actually the Sith way. But he isn't really a Sith is he? He is a Ren. I wonder what the difference is?

he is like a mix of darth vader and anakin skywalker :lol: