Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

With DieselDaisy and Lies They Tell on this, thought it was OK, 6/10 from me. Favourite films this year are still Ex Machina and Mad Max (never thought I'd love a Mad Max film so much, thought The Road Warrior was OK).

Apart from the first teaser trailer from 2014 I'd managed to avoid all promos and spoilers for the film, but still nothing really moved me. I liked the humour (though Ant-Man is still the funniest movie I saw in 2015) but none of the action set-pieces excited me. Most disappointing for me was the score; for all the prequels' faults John Williams still knocked it out the park with at least one memorable theme for each of them: Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars, Battle of the Heroes (ROTS had my favourite Star Wars score of all). I can't remember any of the new music from The Force Awakens :/ I watched the trailers after seeing the film and the arrangement for the last trailer moved me so much more than anything in the actual film.

The actors were good and their characters likeable, it was a bit confusing trying to figure out what exactly the New Republic was and its relation to the Resistance, feel they tried to cram too much in one story. Still not a fan of JJ Abrams' direction or his cinematographer's work, film felt visually flat to me for the most part; the opening looked like a TV show and that final helicopter shot was unnecessary and awkward (though I liked the interior of he abandoned Star Destroyer on Jakku and the snowy Starkiller Base planet). Was supposed to see it in IMAX, ended up seeing it in RealD 3D, wish I'd seen it in 2D, 3D added nothing but making the image muddier and darker.

I guess it's weird I consider myself a Star Wars fan when I only really love one film (Empire). I just love the potential of the universe and have enjoyed some side stories like the Knights of the Old Republic video game. Regardless, looking forward to Episode VIII, interested to see what Rian Johnson will bring to the table.

Edited by Amir

mad max is still my movie of the year as well.

Funny how that ended up being the case when it seemed to have disaster written all over it with the delays, set fights and budget issues. When the reviews came in I was in disbelief, and the disbelief continued when I was in the cinema unable to comprehend how fucking good it was.

I'd rank TFA above Age of Ultron and Jurassic World from films I saw this year, but I didn't think any of them were bad, just OK and occasionally entertaining.

• Like 1

The worst aspect is the remake of the death star scenario. Is there a lamer way to end this movie than simply repeating the death star for a third time? To ask me to believe that the implausible plot lines and lack of exposition will somehow be mysteriously solved in parts 2 and 3 with superb plotting and twists galore (because that is what it would take to solve the mess), is to ask that the filmmakers are better than the ones which delivered up a third death star with an air vent, cliche. Surely the empire and first order combined are the stupidest bad guys in film history: (Mr First order) ''we will build a mega weapon with air vents''. (critic) ''Yes but that is how the previous mega weapons were destroyed, all two of them during the empire? They just drove X Wings down their conveniently located trenches''. ''Yes, but this bugger is bigger''.

What a clunker of an ending!

And the very ending itself haha. She goes up a mountain in Ireland and a man with a cape is staring into oblivion. Was he standing like that all day haha, just waiting for her arrival? He turns around and you think it is Luke Skywalker and it is one of the guys from Abba haha. Terrible.

• Like 1

The New Republic refused to take military action so Leia left and formed The Resistance in worlds threatened by The First Order.

Explaining this in the film with one line of dialogue would have cleared up a lot of things. As it is it's unclear why the Repulic isn't fighting the First Order.

yeah but wouldnt that be like complaining a book in the first chapter doesnt tell you everything about the rest of the story in the other chapters?

But it is a problem if people are leaving the cinemas and asking questions. You have to remember that with the first star wars you were discussing something new. It was sufficent to establish the fact that there is an evil empire led by a Darth Vader, and a good rebellion against that said empire, and to deliver a background in Jedi hocus pocus. That was all you needed tom know. With a fourth film essentially you are asking audiences to resume a relationship with characters thirty years later. Basically there is a thirty year interval that does require some degree of explanation, seeing as the ending to Return of the Jedi was depicted as something which was (relatively) finite. Audiences rather assumed,

- an end of the empire

- an establishment of a republic

- an establishment of a new Jedi order

- Leia and Han marry and live happy ever after

Roughly those four.

To destroy all four requires, or more to the point, to simply act that all four did not take place after all, requires explanation.

Sounds like you just didn't like the film for whatever personal reasons.

It was quite good, regardless of it being a fan service film. Wasn't a 10/10. But it was very good.

yeah but wouldnt that be like complaining a book in the first chapter doesnt tell you everything about the rest of the story in the other chapters?

But it is a problem if people are leaving the cinemas and asking questions. You have to remember that with the first star wars you were discussing something new. It was sufficent to establish the fact that there is an evil empire led by a Darth Vader, and a good rebellion against that said empire, and to deliver a background in Jedi hocus pocus. That was all you needed tom know. With a fourth film essentially you are asking audiences to resume a relationship with characters thirty years later. Basically there is a thirty year interval that does require some degree of explanation, seeing as the ending to Return of the Jedi was depicted as something which was (relatively) finite. Audiences rather assumed,

- an end of the empire

- an establishment of a republic

- an establishment of a new Jedi order

- Leia and Han marry and live happy ever after

Roughly those four.

To destroy all four requires, or more to the point, to simply act that all four did not take place after all, requires explanation.

Sounds like you just didn't like the film for whatever personal reasons.

Well firstly I do not outright dislike it. I gave it 6/10 - maybe at a push 7/10 if there is a beer in it. There are people, many people, on IMD giving it 1/10. If I am the most annoying person here I am relatively lightweight considering some of the reviews appearing on IMD! You chaps like bono need to hustle your ranks here and redirect your crazy geek hatred elsewhere as you are directing it at the wrong person haha. The Force Awakens seems to have become one of these conformist jobs whereby if you do not love it with undiluted 10/10 agreement you are a 'cupcake' or a 'hater'. I say that as someone who believes there are actually many aspects pleasant about the film such as the Ford-Chewie-Falcon sequences (which basically steal the show) and a certain evocation of the feel of the originals which I rather liked. There are however geeky SW nerds (I'm not a geeky sw nerd incidentally) saying they have never been more disappointed seeing a film as seeing this, and this includes the prequels. They are literally saying it is the worst film ever made in human history. I would not go that extreme, but that would not be acknowledged here..

Most disappointing for me was the score; for all the prequels' faults John Williams still knocked it out the park with at least one memorable theme for each of them: Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars, Battle of the Heroes (ROTS had my favourite Star Wars score of all). I can't remember any of the new music from The Force Awakens :/

I agree that the score was disappointing. In my opinion the best new composition in The Force Awakens is "The Jedi Steps" by far. It wasn't used much in the movie though. You can only hear it in the end when Rey is climbing up the mountain. And it's not complete cause it changes into Luke's theme. But I think that The jedi steps has a lot of potential and proves that John Williams still has it. Hopefully we'll get a better version of it when the next movie comes out.

Take a listen to it here:

It starts off so beautifully but then it turns into Luke's theme that we've heard a million times already. Wish we had a complete version of "The Jedi Steps"

Rey's theme is okay too, but it's nothing compared to Duel Of The Fates, Across the Stars etc...

Edited by Lies They Tell
  • Like 1

Yeah that Jedi Steps theme is neat, needed more themes and motifs like that.

Already wondering what fan edits for this film will be like down the line. Think the first thing to go will be that helicopter shot at the end :lol: Will also be interesting to see if any of the rumoured deleted scenes end up on home video release and then work their way into fan edits. I've always wanted an edit of the prequels that trims them down to one or two films and is silent save for Williams' score, thus avoiding the problem of the awkward dialogue and putting greater emphasis on those films' greatest strength.

I think the repetition of the Death Star plot device will become more tiresome when watching the films in sequence: "Man, they just blew it up for a second time and now they have to do it again...."

• Like 1

Most disappointing for me was the score; for all the prequels' faults John Williams still knocked it out the park with at least one memorable theme for each of them: Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars, Battle of the Heroes (ROTS had my favourite Star Wars score of all). I can't remember any of the new music from The Force Awakens :/ I watched the trailers after seeing the film and the arrangement for the last trailer moved me so much more than anything in the actual film.

I was just coming here to talk about how great the Resistance theme was in particular, so I can't really agree with that in the slightest. To me it's a vast improvement on any of the prequel music.

He stopped a blaster shot mid air! I never saw Vader doing anything remotely that powerful!

Except at the end of Empire where he did just that of course.

No he didn't. I do not remember a blaster shot stopping mid air and staying there! I've seen Jedi/Siths deflect blaster shots with their light sabers but never that.

He stopped a blaster shot mid air! I never saw Vader doing anything remotely that powerful!

No he didn't. I do not remember a blaster shot stopping mid air and staying there! I've seen Jedi/Siths deflect blaster shots with their light sabers but never that.

vtfuy.jpg
  • Like 1

vtfuy.jpg

It probably lasts less than a second!!

The scene referred to by me in The Force Awakens consists of a blaster burst (or ray or whatever you care to call it) staying in stasis, mid air, for a considerable amount of time.

vtfuy.jpg

The scene referred to by me in The Force Awakens consists of a blaster burst (or ray or whatever you care to call it) staying in stasis, mid air, for a considerable amount of time.

Pretty much the same thing though really. Basically, it took "a considerable amount of time" for Kylo to knack a laser blast. Vader just twatted in in less than a second like a G. Edited by Dazey

vtfuy.jpg

Pretty much the same thing though really.

Well I suppose Kylo Ren only keeps the blaster shot stationery to look cool basically so I see your point in that it is not inherently a new power - although Vader seems to be more redirecting the thing with his hands rather than just stopping the thing mid air. Logic however does not seem to coincide with just about any element of The Force Awakens so I will leave this up to the experts, on whether it is the same power. It does not though refute my basic point that Kylo Ren has some considerable Force-like abilities yet is defeated in a duel by a girl who has never seen a light saber in her life, much less used one.

vtfuy.jpg

Well I suppose Kylo Ren only keeps the blaster shot stationery to look cool basically so I see your point in that it is not inherently a new power - although Vader seems to be more redirecting the thing with his hands rather than just stopping the thing mid air. Logic however does not seem to coincide with just about any element of The Force Awakens so I will leave this up to the experts, on whether it is the same power. It does not though refute my basic point that Kylo Ren has some considerable Force-like abilities yet is defeated in a duel by a girl who has never seen a light saber in her life, much less used one.

But... isn't that exactly the point?! Kylo Ren has considerable force-like abilities because he's a Skywalker, but he's grossly untrained at this point, and is way out of his league. On the other side, Rey clearly has considerably force-like abilities (likely because she's a Skywalker), and while being grossly untrained as well, she's obviously got a decent grip of combat as shown earlier in the film and the fact she's had to fend for herself her entire life. When you take all those pieces together, with Kylo being injured, emotionally unstable and cocky, it's not all that unbelievable at all that Rey was able to gain a slight edge in a short fight. To me, the whole point of that fight was that it was the two of them almost at their least powerful, and we'll see him duel again when they are both considerably more prepared and the stakes will be much higher. Kylo Ren is basically a guy who wants nothing more than to emulate Darth Vader, he's a total fanboy, and him getting his ass kicked showed that he's a long way to go before getting anywhere close to Vader. I think you're looking far too much into one little force trick he pulled off, it's hardly showing that he's already surpassed Vader and the Emperor :lol: You're making it out like stopping a blaster shot is the absolute peak of abilities. For all we know, that could be taught in day one of Jedi Camp. And just because he has certain abilities doesn't make him an equal to Vader, it's never even suggested that's the case. I think that's just a case of him being incredibly force-sensitive, there's probably a load of shit he can't do. If we saw him holding a blaster shot, choking someone, while firing lightning at them out of his arse, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

Edited by Conor

vtfuy.jpg

But... isn't that exactly the point?! Kylo Ren has considerable force-like abilities because he's a Skywalker, but he's grossly untrained at this point, and is way out of his league. On the other side, Rey clearly has considerably force-like abilities (likely because she's a Skywalker), and while being grossly untrained as well, she's obviously got a decent grip of combat as shown earlier in the film and the fact she's had to fend for herself her entire life. When you take all those pieces together, with Kylo being injured, emotionally unstable and cocky, it's not all that unbelievable at all that Rey was able to gain a slight edge in a short fight. To me, the whole point of that fight was that it was the two of them almost at their least powerful, and we'll see him duel again when they are both considerably more prepared and the stakes will be much higher. Kylo Ren is basically a guy who wants nothing more than to emulate Darth Vader, he's a total fanboy, and him getting his ass kicked showed that he's a long way to go before getting anywhere close to Vader. I think you're looking far too much into one little force trick he pulled off, it's hardly showing that he's already surpassed Vader and the Emperor :lol:You're making it out like stopping a blaster shot is the absolute peak of abilities. For all we know, that could be taught in day one of Jedi Camp.

I'm not just using that as evidence though!

He delves into the mind of that pilot and extracts the exact information he needs. Regarding that, he has considerably more telepathic abilities than Vader who had to rely on imperial interrogation tactics when quizzing Leia in A New Hope. Why didn't Vader merely do what Kylo Ren would do later- or at least attempt it?

He was trained by Luke and the cgi Lord of the Rings chap.

He is a member of the Knights of Ren and lieutenant of this first order, for what that is worth (it must mean something?)

I'm sure you have the answers to the above but couldn't a more plausible explanation be that they are pulling this shite out of their arse?

Edited by DieselDaisy

vtfuy.jpg

But... isn't that exactly the point?! Kylo Ren has considerable force-like abilities because he's a Skywalker, but he's grossly untrained at this point, and is way out of his league. On the other side, Rey clearly has considerably force-like abilities (likely because she's a Skywalker), and while being grossly untrained as well, she's obviously got a decent grip of combat as shown earlier in the film and the fact she's had to fend for herself her entire life. When you take all those pieces together, with Kylo being injured, emotionally unstable and cocky, it's not all that unbelievable at all that Rey was able to gain a slight edge in a short fight. To me, the whole point of that fight was that it was the two of them almost at their least powerful, and we'll see him duel again when they are both considerably more prepared and the stakes will be much higher. Kylo Ren is basically a guy who wants nothing more than to emulate Darth Vader, he's a total fanboy, and him getting his ass kicked showed that he's a long way to go before getting anywhere close to Vader. I think you're looking far too much into one little force trick he pulled off, it's hardly showing that he's already surpassed Vader and the Emperor :lol:You're making it out like stopping a blaster shot is the absolute peak of abilities. For all we know, that could be taught in day one of Jedi Camp.

I'm not just using that as evidence though!

He delves into the mind of that pilot and extracts the exact information he needs. Regarding that, he has considerably more telepathic abilities than Vader who had to rely on imperial interrogation tactics when quizzing Leia in A New Hope. Why didn't Vader merely do what Kylo Ren would do later- or at least attempt it?

He was trained by Luke and the cgi Lord of the Rings chap.

He is a member of the Knights of Ren and lieutenant of this first order, for what that is worth (it must mean something?)

I'm sure you have the answers to the above but couldn't a more plausible explanation be that they are pulling this shite out of their arse?

We don't know how long the training with Luke lasted, or how intense it was. As for Snoke, at the end of the film he says he needs to finish his training, so there's obviously still a while to go. I think these are all valid questions, and there are answers for some of them already, but I think these are really inconsistencies that we can tear apart after we've seen Episode IX. It just seems ridiculous to me at this point, a third of the way through the story at most, that we can argue "Well there were all these questions they didn't answer!". Yeah, I think Kylo's powers are obviously unusual, but that's part of the intrigue of his character. Why is he so powerful with the force while simultaneously being petulant and yet to complete his training? That's exactly why I want to see more.

On a side note, read another interesting theory today. I don't think it'll come to fruition, but was a nice thought anyway. Essentially, Kylo chooses to go the dark side in order to help the light, bringing down Snoke and the dark side from within. That would bring balance to force, finishing what Vader/Anakin started. Offers some explanation to the Han sacrifice too, with Han knowing that he needs to die for Kylo to complete his goal. "Will you help me? "Anything." "Thank you." I don't buy it, but I like it as an idea.