Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

Kylo Ten is in now way shape or form more powerful than Vader. Yes stopping the blaster was something we have never seen before, but that doesn't mean no one else could do it. It has more to do with no one else (director's) thinking of it. Darth Vader is the most powerful Sith (as of now) that we know of in the official cannon (films). Kylo Ren would be the weakest at this point, Darth Maul would take him in dual.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

We've seen the blaster stop before.

Anyway, I can't stand reading theories but I did like this one:

"Addressing the complaint about Rey all of a sudden having mastery of the Force:

My theory is that not only Rey is Luke's daughter, but she had actually begun training as a Jedi (they're supposed to start really young, remember?). She was left on Jakku as protection from Kylo and Snoke and her memories suppressed.

Snoke referred to "an awakening". When Rey touched the saber it acted as a key - sort of like when someone has amnesia/repressed memories and something jolts them into remembering stuff from the past. So she is instinctively remembering her Jedi training as she progresses through the rest of the film. Her Force training has awakened."

We've seen the blaster stop before.

Anyway, I can't stand reading theories but I did like this one:

"Addressing the complaint about Rey all of a sudden having mastery of the Force:

My theory is that not only Rey is Luke's daughter, but she had actually begun training as a Jedi (they're supposed to start really young, remember?). She was left on Jakku as protection from Kylo and Snoke and her memories suppressed.

Snoke referred to "an awakening". When Rey touched the saber it acted as a key - sort of like when someone has amnesia/repressed memories and something jolts them into remembering stuff from the past. So she is instinctively remembering her Jedi training as she progresses through the rest of the film. Her Force training has awakened."

So...she's Jason Bourne?

Her being Obi-Wan's daughter, age-wise, just doesn't make sense to me.

Obi-Wan, you dirty old fucker!

Even if Obi-wan banged some chick the day before he left with Luke that still wouldn't work numbers-wise, that would mean Rey is in her early 30's.

Artificial insemination. They had Alec Guinness's jizz in storage?

Not a spoiler but JJ Abrams says the script for episode VIII is so good he wish he was directing it.

I like the guy more than most people seem to, but I think it's good we're getting a different writer/director for each film. Could help to keep it fresh. And while I really liked Force Awakens, I definitely would like the next one could tone down a bit on the references/ rhyming, and I think Rian may be a bit better at pulling that off than JJ would be. That's exciting to hear that the script for VIII is apparently THAT good tho

Edited by rocknroll41

I find him as untalented a filmmaker as could be conceived. He co-wrote Armageddon for crying out loud! Abrams is essentially the more recent of the brand of directors which include Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich, a sub-Spielbergean generation of CGI obsessed hacks and schmaltz generators. If you want to look at why Hollywood is so bad now, a good place to start would be to look at Bay, Emmerich and Abrams and analyse their respective careers. Abrams' own niche in that he seems to be the 'go to man' when you want to reboot a failing sci-fi franchise. Abrams basically reassembles all of the nostalgic tropes together to maximize the commercial potential of a distinct 'brand' (i.e. not a film) for a dimwitted generation who is content to be spoon fed big mouthfuls of fast food. He is a Macdonalds directer basically, falling back on E Numbers and artificial sweeteners and delivering up slabs of CGI to a crowd who are content to eat appalling food. His films are completely devoid of substance, artistry or charm. They are soulless pictures. What was done to Star Trek was a travesty, and he appears to be doing the same to Star Wars.

• Like 2

Not a spoiler but JJ Abrams says the script for episode VIII is so good he wish he was directing it.

I like the guy more than most people seem to, but I think it's good we're getting a different writer/director for each film. Could help to keep it fresh. And while I really liked Force Awakens, I definitely would like the next one could tone down a bit on the references/ rhyming, and I think Rian may be a bit better at pulling that off than JJ would be. That's exciting to hear that the script for VIII is apparently THAT good tho

I think the reasoning is that as soon as the first film is finished and prepping for release, the director can help promote it while the next one is working on pre-production, casting and eventually the filming of the next chapter. It makes sure the film is released on time and prevents the director from being burnt out from shooting back to back.

So we will get Episode VIII without it feeling rushed. If they have to they will push it back to December to give it more time.

I find him as untalented a filmmaker as could be conceived. He co-wrote Armageddon for crying out loud! Abrams is essentially the more recent of the brand of directors which include Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich, a sub-Spielbergean generation of CGI obsessed hacks and schmaltz generators. If you want to look at why Hollywood is so bad now, a good place to start would be to look at Bay, Emmerich and Abrams and analyse their respective careers. Abrams' own niche in that he seems to be the 'go to man' when you want to reboot a failing sci-fi franchise. Abrams basically reassembles all of the nostalgic tropes together to maximize the commercial potential of a distinct 'brand' (i.e. not a film) for a dimwitted generation who is content to be spoon fed big mouthfuls of fast food. He is a Macdonalds directer basically, falling back on E Numbers and artificial sweeteners and delivering up slabs of CGI to a crowd who are content to eat appalling food. His films are completely devoid of substance, artistry or charm. They are soulless pictures. What was done to Star Trek was a travesty, and he appears to be doing the same to Star Wars.

Wasn't a huge fan of the Star Treks films (mind you, most in the series save for First Contact haven't been that great either), but I really loved Abrams film Super 8. Not sure I'd call that movie soulless.