Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

Oh my god.

In case you did not have enough reasons to hate George Lucas.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/did-george-lucas-conceal-princess-leias-boobs-in-return-of-the-jedi

Leia_In_The_Gold_Bikini_2.jpg

adding CGI to his earlier movies

making breasts smaller with gaffer tape

Yeah, what a brilliant idea

Lol at greedy George Lucas

Edited by Strange Broue

They weren't even a proper release anyways. It was rehashed "special edition" DVDs with the unaltered versions thrown in the bonus features. Better off cracking out the VCR and getting the original VHS releases. :lol:

I still have my VHS boxset from 1995. Finding a VCR in 2015 is quite the challenge, however :lol:

Disney doesn't have the rights to release them until 2020, and even then Fox still has the release rights to ANH.

Why can't Fox just sell them? If they are not going to do anything with them they might as well sell them.

Did you see the recent steelbook releases? That's why they don't sell the rights.

Just saw it... they fucking killed Han :o.

or did they? he's confirmed for the cast of the next installment

Well, I guess they could have him doing a Gandalf, but he got stabbed through the torso with a lightsaber and dropped hundreds of feet inside a facility which was detonated on a planet which was detonated shortly after... there's only so much overkill a man could take, even if he was Han Solo.

I'd avoided all spoiler material before going in, so Han's death came as a total shock to me, right up until it happened. I thought there would be more backlash if something like that happened, so the mostly positive critique lulled me into a false sense of security, I guess...

It kinda ruined the movie for me to be honest; there are some character deaths which are necessary, even characters one's attached to (I'm a big A Song of Ice and Fire fan) but I don't really see how this death added to the plot and the Star Wars universe just lost its best character. I think the saga will be infinitely poorer without him going forward, he was the highlight of the movie up until that point. Everything that happened before and after (which I mostly really enjoyed) was kinda made irrelevant by that utterly gut-wrenching 30 seconds.

Still processing it, I don't know how I would even begin to rate the film out of 10 after that...

Edited by Graeme

Disney doesn't have the rights to release them until 2020, and even then Fox still has the release rights to ANH.

Why can't Fox just sell them? If they are not going to do anything with them they might as well sell them.

Did you see the recent steelbook releases? That's why they don't sell the rights.

I haven't seen them. What is so special about them? I was thinking about buying the original trilogy in the three pack. I won't waste money on the prequels.

BoxOfficeMojo predicts the film will end its run at $860 million domestically. Though they might rethink those numbers.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

They toyed with the idea of killing Han as early as Jedi. Lucas felt killing Han wouldn't sell Han Solo toys. As much as I would love to see Ford go another three films, he isn't getting any younger and the focus of the next film is going to be Luke anyway. If they kill him off then better start not getting used to seeing Leia, she's next.

Still, it did lead to an awesome lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo. Kylo, the last of the trained Jedi vs. someone with a raw sense of the Force, growing more powerful, she was nearly defeated but she held him off until the planet started breaking up all around them. It was a great duel. All other duels in recent films were mere spectacles. There hasn't been one where you were so emotionally invested since Jedi.

Well, I guess they could have him doing a Gandalf, but he got stabbed through the torso with a lightsaber and dropped hundreds of feet inside a facility which was detonated on a planet which was detonated shortly after... there's only so much overkill a man could take, even if he was Han Solo.

I'd avoided all spoiler material before going in, so Han's death came as a total shock to me, right up until it happened. I thought there would be more backlash if something like that happened, so the mostly positive critique lulled me into a false sense of security, I guess...

It kinda ruined the movie for me to be honest; there are some character deaths which are necessary, even characters one's attached to (I'm a big A Song of Ice and Fire fan) but I don't really see how this death added to the plot and the Star Wars universe just lost its best character. I think the saga will be infinitely poorer without him going forward, he was the highlight of the movie up until that point. Everything that happened before and after (which I mostly really enjoyed) was kinda made irrelevant by that utterly gut-wrenching 30 seconds.

Still processing it, I don't know how I would even begin to rate the film out of 10 after that...

I've said this before, but Han's death was kind of a necessity at this point. Not only have Ford and Kasdan wanted it to happen since Empire, but it's just natural in storytelling to have the old mentor figure die during the climatic transition point in the first act of a trilogy. With Luke in exile and Leia just being a general who only shows up near the third act, Han automatically embodied that old mentor role for this installment. So death was just kind of inevitable for him.

Also Ford is like 73, so as amazing as he is, his character is kind of ripe for death. Furthermore, even tho I agree with pretty much everyone that this film had way too many callbacks to the old ones, we kinda needed that Obi-Wan death parallel so that the villain could seem threatening and the hero could have a personal reason to wanna take them down (tho I do think the duel between Rey and Ren that han's death lead to was handled kinda poorly, but that's besides the point).

Also with so many new characters and old characters, someone old needed to die to make way for the new. Luke couldn't be that person cause he's in exile and needs to stick around to train Rey and help her rebuild the jedi order (again). Leia leads the Resistance so she's too important to die now too, and since she was also barely in the film, her death wouldn't of felt too effective either.

Han, besides being a badass smuggler, is just not that important. He helped the new characters make it to the Resistance so that they could find their destiny/ place in the world. Once that was in motion, it was just time for him to go.

Edited by rocknroll41

I haven't seen them. What is so special about them? I was thinking about buying the original trilogy in the three pack. I won't waste money on the prequels.

BoxOfficeMojo predicts the film will end its run at $860 million domestically. Though they might rethink those numbers.

Nothing is special about them. Just another way to get more money. They're six individual steelbooks, not a box set.

It's made over 600 million in the US in TWO WEEKS. Why would anyone think this doesn't have a chance at a billion?

Because it has never been done before. I mean Jurassic World petered out after 6 weeks. If it makes a billion it would be very close to selling as many tickets as A New Hope did.

It was downright ridiculous that Fin was able to wield and duel with the lightsaber with someone trained by Luke Skywalker for as long as he could. It was even a bit silly when Rey did it but I can understand it since it's looking like she's Luke's daughter.

Edited by Jakey Styley

I've said this before, but Han's death was kind of a necessity at this point. Not only have Ford and Kasdan wanted it to happen since Empire, but it's just natural in storytelling to have the old mentor figure die during the climatic transition point in the first act of a trilogy. With Luke in exile and Leia just being a general who only shows up near the third act, Han automatically embodied that old mentor role for this installment. So death was just kind of inevitable for him.

Also Ford is like 73, so as amazing as he is, his character is kind of ripe for death. Furthermore, even tho I agree with pretty much everyone that this film had way too many callbacks to the old ones, we kinda needed that Obi-Wan death parallel so that the villain could seem threatening and the hero could have a personal reason to wanna take them down (tho I do think the duel between Rey and Ren that han's death lead to was handled kinda poorly, but that's besides the point).

Also with so many new characters and old characters, someone old needed to die to make way for the new. Luke couldn't be that person cause he's in exile and needs to stick around to train Rey and help her rebuild the jedi order (again). Leia leads the Resistance so she's too important to die now too, and since she was also barely in the film, her death wouldn't of felt too effective either.

Han, besides being a badass smuggler, is just not that important. He helped the new characters make it to the Resistance so that they could find their destiny/ place in the world. Once that was in motion, it was just time for him to go.

I've seen that word "necessary" thrown about a lot, but I'm not seeing the necessity, this is a fictional universe, you can literally do anything you like and Han was totally the best thing about the film up until the point he was killed, things don't generally get better when you take the best part of them away completely... He was a character/personality, not a plot device, if it's traditional to have the "old mentor figure" die in the first instalment of a trilogy, then why not be bold and subvert the trope? Gandalf still had shit to do in The Two Towers/Return of the King, I don't think you'd find many LotR fans who would argue that he should have been totally and permanently removed from the plot during Fellowship because it's "necessary" to the stereotypical plot arc of your average trilogy...

I've seen that word "necessary" thrown about a lot, but I'm not seeing the necessity, this is a fictional universe, you can literally do anything you like and Han was totally the best thing about the film up until the point he was killed, things don't generally get better when you take the best part of them away completely... He was a character/personality, not a plot device, if it's traditional to have the "old mentor figure" die in the first instalment of a trilogy, then why not be bold and subvert the trope? Gandalf still had shit to do in The Two Towers/Return of the King, I don't think you'd find many LotR fans who would argue that he should have been totally and permanently removed from the plot during Fellowship because it's "necessary" to the stereotypical plot arc of your average trilogy...

Fair point, but you still have the "too many old mentors" problem since it seems like Luke and Leia are meant to become more prominent in the next couple of films, not to mention having someone die in the first installment of this new story gives it some emotional weight and makes the villain feel threatening (tho like I said, that was kinda ruined by Kylo getting his ass kicked so easily in the duel that followed).

Han was my favorite aspect of this new film too, but I didn't mind it when he died cause it just felt so natural to me. I'll admit tho that I also kinda dislike the major events that follow that scene, like the duel where Rey becomes so OP and the destruction of Starkiller Base (which had nowhere near the same impact the destruction of the first Death Star had). But neither of those gripes really have anything to do with Han being there or not.

Not trying to change your opinion btw. I can see why Han's death is bothersome to some. I just enjoy putting my viewpoint into this sorta thing.

So I saw it for a second time, and I'm really not buying this whole "Kylo got his ass handed to him by Finn and Rey" nonsense anymore. He's clearly toying with Finn and acting over confident, and seriously injures him with relative ease. He's on the offence against Rey for the entire fight, until Rey has her "Luke, use the force!" moment and I imagine that's her force instincts/presumed previous training kicking in, all the while Ren's not completed his training either, just killed pops, and injured from the bowcaster.

Anyone who thinks Rey has had zero training is a tit.

So I saw it for a second time, and I'm really not buying this whole "Kylo got his ass handed to him by Finn and Rey" nonsense anymore. He's clearly toying with Finn and acting over confident, and seriously injures him with relative ease. He's on the offence against Rey for the entire fight, until Rey has her "Luke, use the force!" moment and I imagine that's her force instincts/presumed previous training kicking in, all the while Ren's not completed his training either, just killed pops, and injured from the bowcaster.

Anyone who thinks Rey has had zero training is a tit.

Fair points, I'll give you that. She does ask Han if they Jedi are real tho so if she did in fact have training, her memories must've been wiped.

I suppose now that Kylo's been basically humiliated by Rey he'll have a reason to seek vengeance on her in the sequel, and gain the upper hand thanks to his more recent training from Snoke.