Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

Grossed $42 million this weekend, making its fourth number 1 weekend. It has become the first film to surpass $800 million. It may finally be starting to wind down. This is the first weekend Star Wars isn't number 1 in. Avatar grossed $50 million on its fourth weekend. The Revenant has opened up with $38 million bringing it to number 2. It may be number 1 next weekend.

Meanwhile in China it has opened with $53 million, the first ever Saturday release. This brings the worldwide total to $1.7 billion.

I just read a theory where someone is trying to explain how Rey is in fact, Anakin Skywalker.

would still bang

Just don't take her anywhere with sand. It's coarse and rough and gets everywhere...

Spent years in the Middle East, all too familiar with the pain of getting sand in my arsecrack.

Is $53 million good for China? I honestly don't know.

Think it was second only to FF7 but TFA had a 65% drop on Monday, doesn't look like it'll break any records over there.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/china/opening/

It's the 20th biggest opening in China. Holy fuck at the top ones. To be fair, it opened on Saturday and not Friday so it may have been marginally higher but it's not catching on there as much as they hoped/expected.

Is $53 million good for China? I honestly don't know.

Think it was second only to FF7 but TFA had a 65% drop on Monday, doesn't look like it'll break any records over there.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/china/opening/

It's the 20th biggest opening in China. Holy fuck at the top ones. To be fair, it opened on Saturday and not Friday so it may have been marginally higher but it's not catching on there as much as they hoped/expected.

The current state of their economy may also have something to do with it. Idk

Is their economy in the shitter right now? I don't follow China all that closely.

If it is in the shitter, that makes it all the more bizarre that the best tickets to the Maiden gigs there are $250 :blink:

Yeah, they are looking at tough times but they like to pretend all is well.

Still have the second largest box office in the world but that doesn't mean anything. It seems only the people who have money see it and they are getting fewer.

Is their economy in the shitter right now? I don't follow China all that closely.

If it is in the shitter, that makes it all the more bizarre that the best tickets to the Maiden gigs there are $250 :blink:

Yeah, they are looking at tough times but they like to pretend all is well.

Still have the second largest box office in the world but that doesn't mean anything. It seems only the people who have money see it and they are getting fewer.

Of course they do. Commie bastards can't ever admit that anything is wrong.

I'm sorry to our resident commie bastard :lol:

I now know what I am doing on 12/18/15: washing my hair.

I bet every poster who says they will pass will go see it in theaters.

I fuckin hate the force awakens. I hate it with a passion. I was sitting in the cinema with my £3 coffee thinking 'what a bunch of toss''. It epitomises what I hate in film.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I finally saw it last night and I thought it was nowhere near as good as it looked.

Way too much rehashing for no real reason, by the time Rey was drawn to that door in the cantina I was already mentally ticking the box - "ah, obligatory Luke Dagobah cave scene rehash".

Things happened WAY TOO QUICKLY and easily.

*The New Deathstar: what was the point of it? Talk about a cakewalk. At least there was real drama and suspense in the old films when they were escaping or trying to destroy the Death Star, shield generator etc.

At least in the original films many Bothans died, and they had to use the stolen Imperial shuttle to get to Endor, in this one they find out about it one minute and the next thing you know they're right in there bombing it. Piece of cake!

*Instant Force: seriously, what the fuck? Gay. Terribad.

It was cool seeing the old faves again, and I liked the new Kylo Ren and Rey characters...but I found the plot and movie pretty cheap and shallow.

5/10 at best.

Well, I finally saw it last night and I thought it was nowhere near as good as it looked.

Way too much rehashing for no real reason, by the time Rey was drawn to that door in the cantina I was already mentally ticking the box - "ah, obligatory Luke Dagobah cave scene rehash".

*The New Deathstar: what was the point of it? Talk about a cakewalk. At least there was real drama and suspense in the old films when they were escaping or trying to destroy the Death Star, shield generator etc.

At least in the original films many Bothans died, and they had to use the stolen Imperial shuttle to get to Endor, in this one they find out about it one minute and the next thing you know they're right in there bombing it. Piece of cake!

It was cool seeing the old faves again, and I liked the new Kylo Ren and Rey characters...but I found the plot and movie pretty cheap and shallow.

5/10 at best.

Word of warning. Expect a colossal hissy fit if you criticise the Force Awakens or the GN'R reunion.

5/10 at best.

Word of warning. Expect a colossal hissy fit if you criticise the Force Awakens or the GN'R reunion.

What a ridiculous post. People disagreeing with you and stating their case is vastly different from people throwing "a colossal hissy".

• Like 3

5/10 at best.

I didn't mind the rehashing. It was new enough to still be entertaining but yeah they could have strayed a bit.

My biggest isseu by far was Death Star 3.0. Fuck that was pretty dumb. And yes the way they so nonchalantly went in and blew it up was horrible. It wouldn't have been so bad if they waited till Episode 9 to blow it up but even still. A planet super laser 3 times the size fo the death star and for some reason this thing only takes 15 minutes to charge(drain the power of a sun). Fucking dumb.

As fo the insant force that's not a fair assesment. We don't know why Rey was able to be so strong in the force. It's a trilogy. We'll find out why so at this point it isn't dumb or good. It's just how it is and we gotta wait to find out why.

I thought the new characters were awesome except Poe. I wasn't much of a fan of him. Sure TFA rehases the originals quite a bit but whatever. As long as they branch out now I'll be fine with it. If we get a carbon copy of Empire next I'll be pissed.

Reviews of TFA from three Vice columnists who had never seen a single Star Wars film:

http://www.vice.com/read/we-got-star-wars-newbies-to-review-the-force-awakens

The third one is hilarious :lol:

Damn that last girl who reviewed came across as reallllllly horny and wishing she was watching 50 Shades of Grey instead of Star Wars. I don't even care if she didn't like the film for silly reasons, tho. She seems like she'd be fun to "hang out with" hehe