Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

A lot of the criticism is premature. We can make a full critique of this film after seeing the next two films.

But I did wonder if that Huff Post journalist was watching the same movie. Probably too busy sipping on Starbucks and writing notes down on their iPad.

Like the part about a Stormtrooper being built like Daniel Craig would have thought to be enough to keep Rey from escaping. Anyone would thought that would be enough. Especially if you've seen Spectre.

That's exactly why I'm hesitant to rank it until we see what is to follow it. I'd conservatively say it's my 4th favorite right now, but if it serves as the stepping stone for two really great installments, I could very well see it passing ANH and ROTS in my ranking.

A lot of the criticism is premature. We can make a full critique of this film after seeing the next two films.

But I did wonder if that Huff Post journalist was watching the same movie. Probably too busy sipping on Starbucks and writing notes down on their iPad.

Like the part about a Stormtrooper being built like Daniel Craig would have thought to be enough to keep Rey from escaping. Anyone would thought that would be enough. Especially if you've seen Spectre.

That's exactly why I'm hesitant to rank it until we see what is to follow it. I'd conservatively say it's my 4th favorite right now, but if it serves as the stepping stone for two really great installments, I could very well see it passing ANH and ROTS in my ranking.

What the hell!!

Edited by DieselDaisy

It equals ANH for me, I have a lot of nostalgia for that film. I know the next two will be great, Abrams said he wish he was directing Episode VIII.

I just hope it doesn't suffer from inferior writing as most sequels. Where the writer is given limited time to come up with a good story and they hire several more writers to speed things up. Sometimes it works out for the better like with Spectre. But I think a lot of thought goes into these films. It felt like VII was the first part of a three parter.

How bad ass would it be if Fat Luke ended up killing Kylo Ren in Star Wars Episode IX?

My hunch is that it'll be the other way around, and it'll be in Episode VIII, and then Kylo will be redeemed and help Rey defeat Snoke in IX. That's just my hunch, tho.

He is such a complex character. He feels Vader was betrayed by the Light Side and wants to fullfill his destiny but he has been tempted by the Light instead of you know Vader being a Jedi and being tempted by the Dark. Same with Luke. It can work both ways. Killing his father is pretty dark but there's also guilt which could bring him back. Vader's way to the Light was through Luke but by killing Han, Leia and Luke and wipe out his connection to the Light.

But a lot more needs to explain the Ren. The Ren are not exactly the Sith. It seems like a new philosophy. I've heard a theory that it is Dark Side with a touch of the Light. Kind of like Windu's Vaspaad fighting style that channels the Dark Side which was how he was able to defeat Sideous.

How bad ass would it be if Fat Luke ended up killing Kylo Ren in Star Wars Episode IX?

My hunch is that it'll be the other way around, and it'll be in Episode VIII, and then Kylo will be redeemed and help Rey defeat Snoke in IX. That's just my hunch, tho.

That could be possible but tough to redeem a guy after he's killed Han and Luke :lol: I think it'd be better if yeah he kills Luke and kicks Rey's ass in VIII and then in IX Rey manages to kill him. I don't want Kylo being redeemed. Fuck him. He made his choice. Willing wanted to go to the dark side. Consciously fought against the light. There's no redeeming that. If they try to it won't work and fans won't buy it. It's not like Anakin who didn't want to turn bad but did. Even though the prequels made me hate that whiney little bitch anyways and I couldn't wait for him to fall from grace so his sniveling, whiney ass could STFU..... but I digress. Point is Kylo is a fucking asshole and should not have redemption. He shoud be fucking killed in a triumphant chaotic ending by Rey where she nearly loses her life as well.

I wonder how big Episode VIII will be in comparison? Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones didn't gross as much as A New Hope and The Phantom Menace respectively, but I reckon Episode IX has a shot at being the highest grossing of the films. Will also be interesting to see how Rogue One fares.

Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones didn't have the benefit of a cliff hanger ending though. I can't imagine Episode VIII does what TFA has at the box office but the lure of Luke Skywalker is pretty fucking big I think. And once we see trailers featuring Luke people will want to see it. It's hard to say. Opening weekend might surpass TFA but overall I doubt it. It's coming out in summer and there will be too many other movies that cut into the pie. Episode VIII won't benefit from the same umber of repeat viewings I don't think.

Rogue One is gonna fuck so many people up haha. Casual fans are totally gonna be confused. It's a good thing they chose to stay away from post credit scenes for TFA because how would they have done that? Show a clip of Rogue One and then everyone thinks that's the next movie in the story? Show a clip of Episode VIII and then everyone thinks that's Rogue One next December? It couldn't have worked. I'm glad they stayed away from that. Rogue One will do great I bet but nowhere near the numbers TFA or the VII or IX do. Although Rogue One trailers will probably feature Darth vader so who the fuck knows. Pretty Darth Vader will be a massive draw.

I wonder how big Episode VIII will be in comparison? Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones didn't gross as much as A New Hope and The Phantom Menace respectively, but I reckon Episode IX has a shot at being the highest grossing of the films. Will also be interesting to see how Rogue One fares.

Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones didn't have the benefit of a cliff hanger ending though. I can't imagine Episode VIII does what TFA has at the box office but the lure of Luke Skywalker is pretty fucking big I think. And once we see trailers featuring Luke people will want to see it. It's hard to say. Opening weekend might surpass TFA but overall I doubt it. It's coming out in summer and there will be too many other movies that cut into the pie. Episode VIII won't benefit from the same umber of repeat viewings I don't think.

Rogue One is gonna fuck so many people up haha. Casual fans are totally gonna be confused. It's a good thing they chose to stay away from post credit scenes for TFA because how would they have done that? Show a clip of Rogue One and then everyone thinks that's the next movie in the story? Show a clip of Episode VIII and then everyone thinks that's Rogue One next December? It couldn't have worked. I'm glad they stayed away from that. Rogue One will do great I bet but nowhere near the numbers TFA or the VII or IX do. Although Rogue One trailers will probably feature Darth vader so who the fuck knows. Pretty Darth Vader will be a massive draw.

It will be interesting to see how casual movie audiences approach Rogue One; it's doubly confusing when Episode VII was dropped from a lot of the promotional material such as posters for The Force Awakens, at least if they had kept that the differentiation would have been more clear. I'm most excited to see Mads Mikkelsen in a Star Wars movie.

I think the most controversial of the Anthology films will be the young Han Solo one; the writers have met with success on The Lego Movie and the 21 Jump Street films, but that character is inextricably tied with Harrison Ford, it's hard to picture anyone else doing the role justice.

Chris Pratt can play young Han Solo.

John Boyega gets a BAFTA nomination for Best Newcomer but Daisy Ridley, the one the critics were gaga about didn't get nominated. Dakota Johnson was nominated to. That's a snub for Daisy because everyone says this is the beginning of a great career for her.

The Kenobi theory works, but I still reckon she's Kylo Ren's sister. It adds a lot of weight to their feud and makes sense too. The film lends itself to that theory too, while her being a Skywalker is way too easy.

Chris Pratt can play young Han Solo.

John Boyega gets a BAFTA nomination for Best Newcomer but Daisy Ridley, the one the critics were gaga about didn't get nominated. Dakota Johnson was nominated to. That's a snub for Daisy because everyone says this is the beginning of a great career for her.

Chris Pratt could but he's too old. He's 36 now. Harrison Ford was 35 when A New Hope came out. How do you pull off a young Han Solo with an actor that's older now than Han Solo was when we were first introduced to him?

I just read a theory where someone is trying to explain how Rey is in fact, Anakin Skywalker.

Dumbest fucking theory going. It's so damn lazy too. If that ever came true I'd probably just stop watching Star Wars. Lik the universe is so small not only is everyone related but the dead are reincarnated or cloned now too haha. It's such a horrible theory.

How old is Han supposed to be in the stand-alone film?

Young. It's supposedly going to be an origin story.

Lawrence Kasdan said it's not an origin story.
He did say tho that it takes place about a decade before the original, so that would put Han at around 23 years old in thag film.

That's true.