Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

Carrie basically told Daisy not to be the set whore.

Don't know what that says about either of them.

dark_Giggity.gif

finished return of the jedi, it was a damn good way to end a trilogy. the ewoks are a little weird, kind of have a love/hate thing going for them. i hate the concept but i love the concept of teddy bears beating the shit out of storm troopers with stone clubs. 9/10

- leia strangling jabba the hutt to death was awesome.

- lando completely redeeming himself and becoming badass

- seemed 3cpo annoyed me less in this movie but i would still scrap his ass if i had the chance

- r2d2 much respect

- princess leia and luke being twins

- han asking leia if she loved luke and when leia says yes, han being badass saying he would step away, just for leia to drop the brother bomb on him, guess no cersei/jamie shit going on in the galaxy far far away.

- badass battle on endor, plus the air battle was cool.

- needed more emperor guy was awesome

- nice moment at the end with luke and darth vader.

i cant believe it took me this long to watch these movies, especially after buying the dvd's years ago :lol: glad i did since they were a lot of fun, kind of want to watch the prequels just to see how annakin went to the dark side. my guess something to do with leia and lukes mother? anyway i will watch the force awakens next week.

so my order goes

1. empire strikes back

2. return of the jedi

3. a new hope

Most of us went into the prequels with high expectations, and were disappointed. Set the bar low and I think you will enjoy them,at least for for a one off viewing. Saying that "they ruin the OT" is a bit over the top, imo.

The movie doesn't say what The First Order is, doesn't explain what happened to the Empire, who Snoke is, etc. The film was poorly written.

Exactly, it is nothing more than a recycle of the original trilogy with a lot of stuff that doesn´t make sense and unanswer questions. The spirit of Star Wars is not there, no mythology and no mentors.

I liked the movie and the cast, it's an overall nice job... but it's a REMAKE in disguise.

I mean.. i played Jedi Outcast, KOTOR, read some comics from the expanded universe. I know what can be done with all that potential.

I can't believe they went with the exact same script from A new hope.

Don't get me wrong. I love the new generation of actors and i almost cry on that fucking bridge scene. But it's star wars.. you can go victorious outside the comfort zone(The Empire Strikes Back).

Great film!

Seeing BB-8 "running" after Rey and Finn just warmed my heart haha

Absolutely loved the film. As someone mentioned... The "Hitler" speech was epic and really stood out as a great moment to me, his voice really did that justice.

And there's so many good bits.

Might go see it again :)

I'm not sensing that this first order are that dark an organisation for some reason, whether that be the intent or a failure of the film. Is that just me?

I got the same feeling. I'm not sure if that was the intent though. The big hologram bad guy was just more weird than anything. And that one guy is the grandson of Darth Vader and son of Han Solo, but he just seemed like a big crybaby. Doesn't scare anybody. I was disappointed in the baddies.

It was an ok movie. I'm no die-hard SW fan though.

Well that would be fucking lame. I'd rather have Snoke be Darth Binks.

I'm not sensing that this first order are that dark an organisation for some reason, whether that be the intent or a failure of the film. Is that just me?

I got the same feeling. I'm not sure if that was the intent though. The big hologram bad guy was just more weird than anything. And that one guy is the grandson of Darth Vader and son of Han Solo, but he just seemed like a big crybaby. Doesn't scare anybody. I was disappointed in the baddies.

I'm sure people said the same thing about the Emperor in ESB. We'll get to learn what we need to know in time - you can't expect them to throw everything out there for us in the first film of the trilogy.

I wouldnt say i'm a die hard fan but I was alive and saw the first Star Wars when it came out.....fuck everyone, I will never call it a new hope....and fucking hell did I have tons of star wars toys as a kid.....so with that being said, after seeing the new movie and taking a few days to digest and let the initial excitement and feeling of OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST EVER!!!! to subside.....I will place it #5 in the series

Edited by Sixes

I am glad the film didn't waste time explaining everything. Exposition usually bogs down the story and the audience will grow bored. Look at Rey for example. She is watching things unfold herself, so we as an audience are watching it with her. It doesn't explain what the First Order is, but something tells me it is a resurgence of the Empire that was defeated by the New Republic.

And saying it is a rehash of the first movie is just lazy. It feels familiar but as a life long fan, I wanted that. I want to feel like I am watching a Star Wars movie. And I love having unanswered questions instead of watching a series of movies when I know what the outcome is.

It is a well made film and any complaints to me is just nit-picking. It is a Star Wars film, you can nit-pick the hell out of the original films. The best review anyone can give it that it is a Star Wars film.

• Like 3

Google Star Wars, Despecialized Edition. It is a 720p transfer of the original trilogy, painstakingly removing any of Lucas' fuckings with over the years. Down to the 20th Century Fox and Lucasfilm logos, it is the film that premiered in theaters originally. There is a YouTube video of how much work went into the original, which had the most work put into it. I mean, these guys like, film scans and super impositions.

You're welcome.

I really need to look into this whole deal.

Carrie basically told Daisy not to be the set whore.

Don't know what that says about either of them.

dark_Giggity.gif

finished return of the jedi, it was a damn good way to end a trilogy. the ewoks are a little weird, kind of have a love/hate thing going for them. i hate the concept but i love the concept of teddy bears beating the shit out of storm troopers with stone clubs. 9/10

- leia strangling jabba the hutt to death was awesome.

- lando completely redeeming himself and becoming badass

- seemed 3cpo annoyed me less in this movie but i would still scrap his ass if i had the chance

- r2d2 much respect

- princess leia and luke being twins

- han asking leia if she loved luke and when leia says yes, han being badass saying he would step away, just for leia to drop the brother bomb on him, guess no cersei/jamie shit going on in the galaxy far far away.

- badass battle on endor, plus the air battle was cool.

- needed more emperor guy was awesome

- nice moment at the end with luke and darth vader.

i cant believe it took me this long to watch these movies, especially after buying the dvd's years ago :lol: glad i did since they were a lot of fun, kind of want to watch the prequels just to see how annakin went to the dark side. my guess something to do with leia and lukes mother? anyway i will watch the force awakens next week.

so my order goes

1. empire strikes back

2. return of the jedi

3. a new hope

Most of us went into the prequels with high expectations, and were disappointed. Set the bar low and I think you will enjoy them,at least for for a one off viewing. Saying that "they ruin the OT" is a bit over the top, imo.

There is no low that is low enough to set one's expectations to make those movies ok.

Well that would be fucking lame. I'd rather have Snoke be Darth Binks.

I'm sure people said the same thing about the Emperor in ESB. We'll get to learn what we need to know in time - you can't expect them to throw everything out there for us in the first film of the trilogy.

Darth Darth Binks (whoever came up with Darth Jar Jar missed the mark there) is one of the worst fan theories ever.

I don't know why it's okay to assume Luke is such a badass pilot in ANH, but Rey couldn't possibly be able to pilot something in TFA right away too. Yeah, Luke says he blasts womprats in a T-16. But really, there's no context to that either except for a couple of people saying he's a good pilot. Unless you do some research now and find out that the Rebel Alliance used speeders like that for training because they had similar controls to X-Wings. But still, that's all extra content that wasn't in ANH. Who would've known that right away? No one. You just have to assume Luke knows all this and isn't a wuss, so he can destroy the Death Star (with Obi-Wan and Han's help, I know). But it's like people can't get on board with the fact that there may be more to Rey than meets the eye.

I think the OT is so nostalgic that people tend to look over that it had flaws. It's only after years of rewatching, Wookieepedia, content books, etc., that we can have a better understanding as to what some of the entire story was. TFA comes out, and while it could use some useful nuggets to fill in some gaps, it's apparently much different in that it didn't explain everything to us. How is it different? Even Abrams said in his interview that you hear stuff about Luke's father, the Clone Wars, etc., but you don't know about that stuff until later (or much later). Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say TFA is flawless or anything. I still would appreciate it explaining some things, unless it's leaving a shitload for VIII. But it's not all that different of a scenario.

Again, TFA is an offender for not giving a lot of context for some things. But it's not a cardinal sinner.

• Like 1

I'm seeing it again today with my girlfriend... still haven't told her that I've seen it already - she was working, so I went to the premiere without her.

Nice, I'm thinking of doing the same. My wife only ever wants to see movies in a theatre during the weekends as she's usually too tired to see them on a weekday. I work from home so there's really nothing to stop me from seeing a matinee.

The question is, can I get away with it :ph34r:

517 million dollars in worldwide sales(up until sunday) and the movie hasnt even opened in china yet.

It's going to beat Avatar, I'm sure of it. How great will it be that for the first time in almost 20 years the top grossing film won't be a James Cameron one? Not trying to harp on the Cameron but damn, both top spots?

517 million dollars in worldwide sales(up until sunday) and the movie hasnt even opened in china yet.

It's going to beat Avatar, I'm sure of it. How great will it be that for the first time in almost 20 years the top grossing film won't be a James Cameron one? Not trying to harp on the Cameron but damn, both top spots?

Yeah, I am sick of seeing Avatar at number 1. Do you think this will be it though? The film is good enough for Star Wars fans but what about the casuel movie goer? The casual goer will be the ones who make the big difference.

He was like something out of Lord of the Rings! I did not know what to make of him.

I suppose you are meant to feel ambiguity for Han's son, feel this is someone not fully evil yet, until he kills Han then all ambiguity is removed. That I believe is the intention.

• Like 1

Yeah, I am sick of seeing Avatar at number 1. Do you think this will be it though? The film is good enough for Star Wars fans but what about the casuel movie goer? The casual goer will be the ones who make the big difference.

If it follows in Jurassic World's footsteps then I really do believe it can top Avatar. This film is a much bigger deal than JW was so if that movie could find some serious legs to claim the number 3 all-time spot then surely Star Wars should be able to do the same (if not better). The positive reviews and hype should keep casuals going to see it. I'm no die hard of the franchise but I can't wait to see it (although I'm intentionally waiting a couple of weeks to avoid the craziness).

So who is the Supreme Leader?

I don't think he fits. It is stupid. Han Solo's kid has more credential than some made up last second orc man as top bad guy.

He is called Snork and that is basically all we know.

I was reading a bit up on the backstory on that wookie site and the idea is the first order is basically a bunch of old nazis who have absconded to Argentina. They were thinking ''what would happen to these Nazis if they formed an organisation out there?''. They would all of course eulogise the Third Reich and hark back to ''better days'', and wish to reestablish it. They would see Hitler (i.e. Vader or the emperor) as a martyr type character. That is the idea behind the first order. It is made up of former Imperials and is a military junta (again, a fascist connection) which has managed to establish a degree of power on the marginals of the galaxy. If this was the premise, I'm not sure how successfully it was portrayed. Something has been lost in translation here.

Han's son is of course too young for this but he grew up with an unhealthy obsession with his grandfather when he was younger - he is a sort of shit recap on Vader which is made evident in the film.