Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

I gave it a B+. It's solid. Predictable, yes. I felt like it was a little short in run time by about 20 minutes.

The thing that makes me most pleased is that BB8 is actually a key character in this movie. When I saw him in advertising and merchandise all over the place before this movie came out, I thought he might be some annoying comic relief character that would flop. He's actually a good new R2D2 and plays a key role. Approve.

My biggest complaint is that Han is smarter than that! I just felt like he was too quick to make a dumb mistake that became his end. It was kind of akin to Anakin going over to the dark side in the snap of a finger in Episode III. I get that Han was kind of doing it for Leia, that they had to kill off the character because Harrison Ford is old and one of the original characters had to die, etc., but I felt like they needed to flesh out that scene a little more. More dialogue between Han and Kilo Ren would have been good; some phony inner emotional struggle with Kilo Ren before pretending to wrench it out of himself that he wanted to change. I don't know, it was too fast.

But a B+. I will see it again to notice more stuff, and I will get it on Blu-Ray etc. Looking forward to Episode IIX as well.

so if the falcon can penetrate the base shields by coming in at light speed, why couldn't the rest of the fleet? how come we didn't get a greedo relative or a hutt or some cool bounty hunters trying to hunt solo? adam driver did a good job, but the bad guys seemed like the diet coke of evil? phasma looked cool but no, a waste of a character.

when han dies, i was like no! i guessed that was going to happen a long time ago. the whole scene was a little too obvious that was going to happen.

i thought all the new cast did a great job(not phasma but i don't think it was due to the actors short commings). i really like Finn and BB8.

i'm wondering if Finn will be using a light saber in the next installment or if he will just be a blaster type guy.

carrie fisher's acting was not so great imo. and did it seem like those scenes where she's talking to han that the two character's weren't like looking at each other like they had a stand in or something weird with that shot? maybe it was where i was sitting in the theater, but it seemed off.

i give it 8/10 overall. i enjoyed it for sure. i'll probably go watch again here in the next week or so.

way too many parallels with the previous installments, not sure if they were looking to reboot and continue the story but new ideas would have been welcome. but starkiller base? deathstar with more horsepower, snoke? pulling kylos and hux's strings like the emperor. Kylo going crazy and killing younglings? just like vader. there are ton's more.

zero words from luke? i dunno, i guess i get it but that was disappointing.

just a few thoughts after seeing it.

I'm home from my showing. Generally, speaking, I liked it. However, I fall in the camp that is disappointed with how derivative this one is. It's literally A New Hope 2.0 - it's shocking how similar they are, even down to the endgame of a race against time to destroy Starkiller Base. Besides that though, I have very few complaints.

The film looks stunning - it's exactly what a Star Wars film should look like 30 years after the OT. Big kudos to Abrams on the visual design. He clearly "gets" Star Wars a lot more than Star Trek.

The casting was great, and the new characters were generally really enjoyable. I loved Poe, Finn, Rey, and Snoke. I thought Adam Driver was excellent, but I was somewhat indifferent on Kylo Ren as a character. Captain Phasma did absolutely nothing for me - I'm glad they presumably killed her off. Harrison Ford stole the show though, I thought he really went above and beyond with the role this time around. John Boyega was my favorite of the new actors. I also loved BB-8, honestly more so than R2-D2.

The CGI was excellent for the most part. The only scene where it was lacking IMO was when the aliens got loose on the freighter after Han picked up the Falcon. Everywhere else it blended very naturally with the practical effects.

I had two spots where I had the biggest fucking grin in particular. First was after Han and Chewie boarded the Falcon, when Rey was freaking out over the fact that it was Han Solo and she says "Isn't this the ship that did the Kessel Run in 14 parsecs?", then Han shouts back "12 parsecs" and right as he walks into the cockpit for the first time he says "14 parsecs..." under his breath and smiles to himself, that spot in particular got to me so much. I just wanted to break down and cry I was so happy. The other one that really got me was when Poe and Finn saw each other on Yavin (Was it Yavin?) and they just looked so happy to see each other even though they only knew each other for 5 minutes. It was great that they made us feel so invested in these new characters so quickly.

All in all, a really solid effort. I wish there was more originality in the story, but I can understand why they wanted to play the first one safe. I don't want to judge it too harshly since we don't really know where it's all going yet.

I'm sure I'll think of more to say as we discuss it more.

Pretty sure it wasn't Yavin. Remember Yavin IV had the huge orange gas giant next to it and there was no asteroid field surrounding the moon or planet.

I'm home from my showing. Generally, speaking, I liked it. However, I fall in the camp that is disappointed with how derivative this one is. It's literally A New Hope 2.0 - it's shocking how similar they are, even down to the endgame of a race against time to destroy Starkiller Base. Besides that though, I have very few complaints.

The film looks stunning - it's exactly what a Star Wars film should look like 30 years after the OT. Big kudos to Abrams on the visual design. He clearly "gets" Star Wars a lot more than Star Trek.

The casting was great, and the new characters were generally really enjoyable. I loved Poe, Finn, Rey, and Snoke. I thought Adam Driver was excellent, but I was somewhat indifferent on Kylo Ren as a character. Captain Phasma did absolutely nothing for me - I'm glad they presumably killed her off. Harrison Ford stole the show though, I thought he really went above and beyond with the role this time around. John Boyega was my favorite of the new actors. I also loved BB-8, honestly more so than R2-D2.

The CGI was excellent for the most part. The only scene where it was lacking IMO was when the aliens got loose on the freighter after Han picked up the Falcon. Everywhere else it blended very naturally with the practical effects.

I had two spots where I had the biggest fucking grin in particular. First was after Han and Chewie boarded the Falcon, when Rey was freaking out over the fact that it was Han Solo and she says "Isn't this the ship that did the Kessel Run in 14 parsecs?", then Han shouts back "12 parsecs" and right as he walks into the cockpit for the first time he says "14 parsecs..." under his breath and smiles to himself, that spot in particular got to me so much. I just wanted to break down and cry I was so happy. The other one that really got me was when Poe and Finn saw each other on Yavin (Was it Yavin?) and they just looked so happy to see each other even though they only knew each other for 5 minutes. It was great that they made us feel so invested in these new characters so quickly.

All in all, a really solid effort. I wish there was more originality in the story, but I can understand why they wanted to play the first one safe. I don't want to judge it too harshly since we don't really know where it's all going yet.

Pretty sure it wasn't Yavin. Remember Yavin IV had the huge orange gas giant next to it and there was no asteroid field surrounding the moon or planet.

Oh it's not Yavin? I was the one who told Powerage that it was. My bad :lol:

Oh it's not Yavin? I was the one who told Powerage that it was. My bad :lol:

My guess, based on the post above yours, is that the Resistance base was on D'Qar.

Planets featured- Jakku, Starkiller Base, Chandrilla, Takodonna, D'Qar, Unknown Luke planet

People on Reddit were asking if it could be Rakata Prime from KOTOR.

MS7g12Bh.jpg

I just saw it and it was a let down for the most part. The good, well besides the obvious, the story of Han and Leia son.

The bad,the Luke thing WTF??? Now he has turned into Obi Wan? I want to see him wearing black. And I want to see him in a lot more scenes, in an important role.

This chick Rey, how come she has knowledge of The Force when she never got any traning? She is great in a lightsaber duel and she has power over the weak minded people just out of nowhere?

So The Republic is back. Where is The Senate? The Chancellor? Nothing in the movie shows a functioning Republic

My biggest complaint is that Han is smarter than that! I just felt like he was too quick to make a dumb mistake that became his end. It was kind of akin to Anakin going over to the dark side in the snap of a finger in Episode III. I get that Han was kind of doing it for Leia, that they had to kill off the character because Harrison Ford is old and one of the original characters had to die, etc., but I felt like they needed to flesh out that scene a little more. More dialogue between Han and Kilo Ren would have been good; some phony inner emotional struggle with Kilo Ren before pretending to wrench it out of himself that he wanted to change. I don't know, it was too fast.

I don't agree with this. He wasn't only doing it for Leia he was doing it for himself and for his son. It wasnt a dumb mistake. It was an emotional one based on love for his son. He probably knew it was a mistake but the desire to speak with his son and potentially save him was too much. There wasn't phony inner emotional struggle. Kylo specifically asked Han to help him ease his pain and then when he kills Han he says thank you. That's some heay shit as if Kylo feels Han was the root of his anger and pain and Kylo knew which direction he wanted to go so to fullfill that he had to literally cut ties with people he once loved. The scene was great. Perhaps a bit rushed but it was great and it was loaded with emotion.

I just saw it and it was a let down for the most part. The good, well besides the obvious, the story of Han and Leia son.

The bad,the Luke thing WTF??? Now he has turned into Obi Wan? I want to see him wearing black. And I want to see him in a lot more scenes, in an important role.

This chick Rey, how come she has knowledge of The Force when she never got any traning? She is great in a lightsaber duel and she has power over the weak minded people just out of nowhere?

So The Republic is back. Where is The Senate? The Chancellor? Nothing in the movie shows a functioning Republic

The movie didn't need Luke at all and the entire premise of the movie was to find him. This just builds Luke's importance for Episode 8 through the roof especially now that Han is gone.

Rey had no knowledge of the force until it (the lightsaber) called to her. That's when she found out and that's when she realized she was force sensitive. The moment she realized Kylo could not steal info from her mind and she was able to turn the tables and read his mind is when she begand to realize she was force sensitive and she's heard the stories and knew what to do and what to try. Like did you even pay attention to the movie? :lol:

They are not the Republic. They are The Resistance. Why do you care about the senate and the Chancellor. Go watch the shitty prequels if that's what you want. I mean it was pretty clear the First Order was trying to take charge and the Resistance was fighting back. Have you not seen a New Hope. It's basically the same story line. And even if the Republic is in charge with a chancellor the First Order it wasn't necessary storyline for this first movie to go into it. Plus it looks like they blew up Corescant with the Starkiller base.

You need to watch it again :lol:

Edited by Bono

So here's my only real question:

What caused R2 to "wake up" so to speak and finally spit out the info that they needed?

Han's death maybe? Like R2 is smart and he maybe was told to half power down by Luke and then when Han died the game changed and R2 knew the others had to get in touch with Luke. I don't know. That would make sense to me though.

ok i finished watching star wars: a new hope for the first time. the first thing i can say is i really enjoyed the movie a lot more than i ever thought i would. I pretty much knew the plot in parts from just years of listening/reading things people had to say on the subject plus watching the family guy episodes :lol: now i have no knowledge of the prequels or the next two movies but i would give the first star wars a solid 8.5/10 would watch again.....

now a couple of things

-storm troopers are dumb as fuck throughout the movie.

- why not destroy the pod at the beginning of the movie? i wouldn't take the chance of information getting away even if it appeared to be lifeless..

- i would definitely melt down 3cpo the annoying piece of shit, although he did have one of my favorite lines in the movie when luke and company are in the trash masher and 3cpo calls them on the transmitter and hears them screaming " they are dying r2-d2, i was too late" thought that was funny

- harrison ford/han solo is a badass

- princess leia is pretty calm about alderaan being blown up

- the ending felt kind of rushed

- why didn't the empire just blow up yavin? instead of waiting to pass around its orbit to get a line of fire on the moon with the rebel base?

these are just minor quips and comes with the territory of any kind of fantasy/sci fi story.

tomorrow is the empire strikes back.

I believe there's a minimum charge time between bursts from the Death Star, and blowing up Yavin to get to Yavin IV would take longer than orbiting the planet.

Empire will blow your fucking mind - truly one of the greatest films ever made.

On the topic of clapping at TFA, and I don't consider any of this spoiler info since it's all readily known from trailers/casting...

- People cheered at the Lucasfilm logo, as well as the beginning of the opening crawl

- People cheered at the first shot of the Millenium Falcon

- People cheered at the first shot of each recurring character, including the droids

- People cheered at the credits

That's exactly what happend at the show I saw along with gasps at certain moments as well. But I live in Canada so...... so uncivilized haha

What caused R2 to "wake up" so to speak and finally spit out the info that they needed?

Han's death maybe? Like R2 is smart and he maybe was told to half power down by Luke and then when Han died the game changed and R2 knew the others had to get in touch with Luke. I don't know. That would make sense to me though.

I just think the force woke him up once rey had accepted that she was meant to be a jedi, meaning it was time for them to go find luke.

The Force Awakens R2-D2 lol

I just think the force woke him up once rey had accepted that she was meant to be a jedi, meaning it was time for them to go find luke.

The Force Awakens R2-D2 lol

I'm wondering if maybe Luke called out because he felt Leias pain?

I know this is something that could be explained in the next one. It's just the only question I could think of when I left the theater.