Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

I'm at the casting call in Troy, Michigan right now.tons of people here

Anything happen?

Are these auditions the same as, "Producers are looking to cast two lead roles for Star Wars: Episode VII - a "street smart" girl in her late teens and a "smart, capable" man in his early 20s.

Those particular auditions were done in the UK recently

Yes, the auditions I went to were for those two roles. There are live auditions going on in six American cities and a few more that were in the UK (i think they are also going to do it in London in a few weeks). Its like a tour for casting! Anyways, I have zero experience in acting, do not fit the physical descriptions given, and basically have zero chance in hell when it comes to being cast in one of those two roles! That being said, I love Star Wars and since one of these auditions was in Troy, Michigan which is only an hour from where I live and basically in my hometown, I had to go check it out.

I went with my sister, girlfriend, and two good friends- one guy and one girl. We got to the fancy hotel it is at about 30- 40 minutes before it was supposed to start and there were already a couple of hundred people there. We get in line and within what seems like minutes, hundreds more were in line behind us. There were easily a couple of thousand people there. I was thinking we would be in and out once the line started movie, but once you get in this large room it was being held, they sat us down splitting us into groups of guys and girls. This was the long part, and we were there sitting for a couple of hours. It was cool though to see all the wannabee actors/actresses, the fans, and the people who were just there to be there. Met a few nice people and it was really cool to see how the process for a major motion picture really starts. After about an hour or two the lead casting lady got up and gave us a speech about the roles, working with JJ Abrams, and episode VII. I didn't really learn anything new but it was cool nonetheless. Keep in mind there were about 700-1000 people waiting in this room (and thousands more waiting who haven't even reached the room yet) but once they started calling people up, it flew.

I got about 20-30 seconds with the head casting lady. It was clear I wasn't what they were looking for as she told me to submit an online audition. I didn't read any of the script and no pictures were taken. If they liked you, you were given another time to come in and read the lines for an audition. I did ask her about extras but she told me that the movie is filming in the UK, and that would be done there. She was polite enough.

Overall though, I am glad I went. It was a new experience and I can say I was a part of a Star Wars movie, even if I didn't get a role. If you are going to one of the casting calls you should take a resume and a headshot, even if its something you took that morning as its the only way they will remember you.

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really hoping the Emperor cloned himself!

That was literally the second stupidest thing in the EU. The stupidest is that Chewie got crushed by a moon.

What are the chances of this movie not living up to the hype and horribly backfiring on JJAbrams, thus forever destroying the Star Wars franchise? What needs to happen in the movie for it to be amazing?

I think it'll fall short of expectations.

• Like 2

I'm really hoping the Emperor cloned himself!

That was literally the second stupidest thing in the EU. The stupidest is that Chewie got crushed by a moon.

What are the chances of this movie not living up to the hype and horribly backfiring on JJAbrams, thus forever destroying the Star Wars franchise? What needs to happen in the movie for it to be amazing?

I think it'll fall short of expectations.

I'd say the whole Legacy series with the Yusseh Vong aliens invading being the stupidest, then having Jacen Solo turn be the second stupidest, then having Chewie crushed, and then the Emperor bit (although it was handled well in Dark Empire I, Dark Empire II was idiotic)

The EU has some really cool stories and ideas. The Thrawn trilogy is great, Dark Empire I loved as a child, and then Knights of the Old Republic I and II and lots of other video games are great. Overall though, I am thrilled the movies will be original stories.

And I don't think VII will fall short of expectations, they are really doing everything they can to make this great. It is a collaboration of tons of talented people unlike the prequels which were total control through one person.

For me they need to add a bit of realism back into it. I can handle lightsabers and jedi's and aliens and all that stuff but I can't stand shit like Anakin jumping out of a cruiser thousands of feet in the air and Obi wan saying "I hate it when he does that" and Jedi's falling hundreds of feet to bounce off shit and live and the ability to jump a hundred feet and the countless back flips and shit. I can't stand excessive action that makes it obvious your main characters are invincable thus taken any kind of concern for them out of the movie. I hated the lightsaber battles in the prequesl too. Way too choreographed and they seemed more fit for dancing with the stars than star wars. bring back the intensity of the battles in Empire and Jedi. None of this tap, tap, tap, spin, pose shit.

Also get rid of the video game graphic bullshit. use real stage props and lay off the CGI. It's amazing to me that movies made in the late 70s/early 80s look ten times more real than movies made in the late 90s/early 00s

Also if any of the villians come back like the Emperor, Vader, Maul etc that would be fucking lame as hell. Even Boba Fett. Fuck off with the cash cow characters who may be added just to sell tickets and toys and just do it up real. i have no issue with Luke, Han or Leia being in it cause they never died,

Also don't rely on the Expanded Universe. It's not relevant when it comes to movies.

Edited by Bono
  • Like 3

Very good points, Bono! I did like the lightsaber fights more than you did in the prequels, but I defiantly would like to see them more grounded and believable. Nothing tops Vader heckling Luke on the Death Star, and Luke going crazy and just hacking away at Vader. The music and emotions of the characters were all we needed, not crazy acrobats or lightning fast action. The prequels relied WAY WAY WAY too much on CGI and non stop- over the top action and it really took you out of what was going on in the films.

Force powers like crazy jumping and all that is fine in my opinion, hell, it is even great at times! It is when things get way too over the top and begin to take away from the lessons and story the film is trying to get across. Acrobats and tricks were used to enhance the story in the original trilogy, whereas the story was used to enhance the action in the prequels. Now, I realize technology has greatly improved, but they were still used in excess in I-III.

Meh, I liked a lot of the duels in III. They were over the top but enjoyable. I wish it didn't get so redicolous on Mustafaar but it was still well executed enough. Yoda vs. Palpatine was good too. I was glad they made Yoda lose instead of some stupid plot device where he beats the Emperor but can't finish him.

Nothing beats the two Vader vs. Luke duels though, got to love the dialogue in between. That is what really matters, the duels themselves are secondary.

• Like 3

Because Luke jumping out of the carbonite freezing chamber was a natural jump and not aided by the force, right?

You can pick just a handfull of those incidents in the original trilogy. They happen every fucking scene in the prequels.

Exaggerate much?

Wow I can sense a disturbance in the force here. You're probably offended I trashed the prequels. Look the prequels had so much over the top action it was ridiculous. If you even begin to argue that its even remotely on par with the originals than you're delusional. There were only a handful of those outrageous things that took place in the originals. Why? Because the technology to fuck shit up with outrageous stunts didn't exist thus making the action scenes more realistic, thus making them better. Deal with it.

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1