Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

Exaggerate much?

Wow I can sense a disturbance in the force here. You're probably offended I trashed the prequels. Look the prequels had so much over the top action it was ridiculous. If you even begin to argue that its even remotely on par with the originals than you're delusional. There were only a handful of those outrageous things that took place in the originals. Why? Because the technology to fuck shit up with outrageous stunts didn't exist thus making the action scenes more realistic, thus making them better. Deal with it.

2304795-good_good_let_the_butthurt_flow_

• Like 2

For me they need to add a bit of realism back into it. I can handle lightsabers and jedi's and aliens and all that stuff but I can't stand shit like Anakin jumping out of a cruiser thousands of feet in the air and Obi wan saying "I hate it when he does that" and Jedi's falling hundreds of feet to bounce off shit and live and the ability to jump a hundred feet and the countless back flips and shit. I can't stand excessive action that makes it obvious your main characters are invincable thus taken any kind of concern for them out of the movie. I hated the lightsaber battles in the prequesl too. Way too choreographed and they seemed more fit for dancing with the stars than star wars. bring back the intensity of the battles in Empire and Jedi. None of this tap, tap, tap, spin, pose shit.

Also get rid of the video game graphic bullshit. use real stage props and lay off the CGI. It's amazing to me that movies made in the late 70s/early 80s look ten times more real than movies made in the late 90s/early 00s

Also if any of the villians come back like the Emperor, Vader, Maul etc that would be fucking lame as hell. Even Boba Fett. Fuck off with the cash cow characters who may be added just to sell tickets and toys and just do it up real. i have no issue with Luke, Han or Leia being in it cause they never died,

Also don't rely on the Expanded Universe. It's not relevant when it comes to movies.

You earned yourself some DOOM points right there.

Also I have read a few of the expanded universe books and they just do not feel like Star Wars and anything which involves clones of the emperor or yet another secret Vader apprentice cheapens it.

Because Luke jumping out of the carbonite freezing chamber was a natural jump and not aided by the force, right?

You can pick just a handfull of those incidents in the original trilogy. They happen every fucking scene in the prequels.

Or Yoda bringing an X-Wing out of the swamp. Technology limited use of the force without making it look fake.

• Like 1

I've noticed a strong overlap between prequel fanboys and Chinese Democracy fanboys. The same sad devotion to an inferior product, the same fanatical delusions and willingness to trash the superior original in an effort to boost the standing of another that is built on the success of the original.

Then there is the man behind said product and his own warped sense of reality, surrounded by yes men etc etc

• Like 2

CD is a much better album than the prequels are films, but I can't say you're wrong with your fan comparison.

Now Axl just needs to get around to releasing the "special edition" of AFD to complete the circle.

:rofl-lol: Complete with new, enhanced re recordings of your favorite parts!

I'm really hoping the Emperor cloned himself!

That was literally the second stupidest thing in the EU. The stupidest is that Chewie got crushed by a moon.

What are the chances of this movie not living up to the hype and horribly backfiring on JJAbrams, thus forever destroying the Star Wars franchise? What needs to happen in the movie for it to be amazing?

I think it'll fall short of expectations.

After episodes 1-3 the expectations are pretty low.

I'm really hoping the Emperor cloned himself!

That was literally the second stupidest thing in the EU. The stupidest is that Chewie got crushed by a moon.

What are the chances of this movie not living up to the hype and horribly backfiring on JJAbrams, thus forever destroying the Star Wars franchise? What needs to happen in the movie for it to be amazing?

I think it'll fall short of expectations.

After episodes 1-3 the expectations are pretty low.

I think people's expectations climbed once rumors about Mark, Carrie, and Harrison returning, and when JJ Abrams was announced.

Come on guys, I'll give ya Episode 1 and 2, they are weak compared to the rest. But Episode 3 is pretty freaking strong. I wasn't born when the first Star Wars came out, but I remember watching Empire and Jedi on VHS when they first came out. But anyways, I'll take Episode 3 over Episode 4 all day long, and twice on Sunday. Their are so many problems with that film, where do I begin??? Really how fucking long does it take for the Death Star to move around a moon??? The fucker magically traveled all the way to Alderon to blow up Lei's planet, but it takes fucking hours to move around a moon??? Come on guys. Nostalgia has clouded our judgement on that film.

I agree with the previous poster, Vader and the Emperor better not magically return, unless Vader is a ghost like he was at the end of Jedi. Anything other than that is Disney milking it for all it's worth, which would be quite disappointing.

• Like 1

Disney is going to use the "Marvel" formula with Star Wars which means we will have a lot of movies tying together. Think of the main Episodes as Avengers movies and the spin offs as the stand alone super hero movies. Really hope we don't have over saturation... anything more than one Star Wars film a year would be over kill, and even that is too much in my opinion.

Meh... hope this goes well.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/10/disney-cfo-star-wars-will-follow-marvel-model

Edited by ZoSoRose

Come on guys, I'll give ya Episode 1 and 2, they are weak compared to the rest. But Episode 3 is pretty freaking strong. I wasn't born when the first Star Wars came out, but I remember watching Empire and Jedi on VHS when they first came out. But anyways, I'll take Episode 3 over Episode 4 all day long, and twice on Sunday. Their are so many problems with that film, where do I begin??? Really how fucking long does it take for the Death Star to move around a moon??? The fucker magically traveled all the way to Alderon to blow up Lei's planet, but it takes fucking hours to move around a moon??? Come on guys. Nostalgia has clouded our judgement on that film.

I agree with the previous poster, Vader and the Emperor better not magically return, unless Vader is a ghost like he was at the end of Jedi. Anything other than that is Disney milking it for all it's worth, which would be quite disappointing.

Not to mention how noticably bored the actors looked. Except for Mark Hamill. His professionalism was outstanding. Ford and Fisher got more into it in the next two films.

Not to mention how noticably bored the actors looked. Except for Mark Hamill. His professionalism was outstanding. Ford and Fisher got more into it in the next two films.

I dunno, that's pushing it a bit far (not the acting part, mind)

• 3 weeks later...

Boba Fett stand alone movie confirmed.

Thoughts?

Can be great... A film set in the seedy underworld of Star Wars with bounty hunters, smugglers, and the scum of the galaxy that somehow ties in somewhere with Episodes II-VII? Sign me up!

Has to be done right though

• Like 1

Boba Fett stand alone movie confirmed.

Thoughts?

Milking the cash cow… I never got the fascination with Boba Fett either. anyway, I´ll stay away from it.

Well, it is already confirmed Star Wars will be milked. Spin- offs are coming whether we like them or not, so we may as well try and be positive. Who knows, they may actually be really good.

And I am a die hard Star Wars and Fett fan, but he is over rated as fuck

You know, even when I was a child, and this was years before the prequels, I didn't understand what the big deal was about Boba Fett. I mean, I know he was a sorta cool-looking dude and all, but to me, he wasn't that mysterious, which is what seems to get Star Wars die-hard fans all excited about Fett. He was in 2 or 3 scenes in Episode V and in 2 or 3 scenes in Episode VI, barely said anything and got killed in a very stupid way, imho. I think he basically has a cult following because of the stories based on the Star Wars universe and, now, because of the prequels. But if anything, the prequels destroyed whatever interest I had in Boba Fett. I don't know.

Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing too. I know these movies are coming and no amount of complaining will stop Disney from milking the cash cow, but, you know, I was reading the imdb forum the other day and people were saying they still loved Back to The Future, even after all these years, and one of the reasons was that they haven't fucked with that trilogy yet. No stupid remakes, no stupid prequels, no sequels, no nothing. They haven't even made any ET-like or Star Wars-like changes to the original trilogy and I think that's the way it should be.

Some stories don't need to be told. I think we know everything we need to know about certain Star Wars characters. I remember discussing Star Wars with my friends, years before the prequels were even announced, and I remember saying it´d be cool to go back to the SW universe and find out where Darth Vader came from and stuff. But sometimes those stories are better left untold, because you kill the magic.

That´s one of the reasons I refuse to watch any of the movies related to Silence of the Lambs or the TV series. I don't wanna know where Hannibal came from or why he is who he is. It´s like a magic trick, you know. You see it performed and you marvel at how fucking awesome it is, and you think you wanna know how it´s done, but trust me, you don´t. Because if you did, you´d be like: Oh… that´s it? And you won´t enjoy it ever again.

That´s what happens with all these spinoffs and prequels and sequels.

I do wanna see Episode VII, but only because rumor has it the old gang is coming back. But if it weren't for them, I doubt I'd be remotely interested in yet another SW movie. Yeah, the prequels killed SW for me.

Edited by TombRaider

You know, even when I was a child, and this was years before the prequels, I didn't understand what the big deal was about Boba Fett. I mean, I know he was a sorta cool-looking dude and all, but to me, he wasn't that mysterious, which is what seems to get Star Wars die-hard fans all excited about Fett. He was in 2 or 3 scenes in Episode V and in 2 or 3 scenes in Episode VI, barely said anything and got killed in a very stupid way, imho. I think he basically has a cult following because of the stories based on the Star Wars universe and, now, because of the prequels. But if anything, the prequels destroyed whatever interest I had in Boba Fett. I don't know.

Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing too. I know these movies are coming and no amount of complaining will stop Disney from milking the cash cow, but, you know, I was reading the imdb forum the other day and people were saying they still loved Back to The Future, even after all these years, and one of the reasons was that they haven't fucked with that trilogy yet. No stupid remakes, no stupid prequels, no sequels, no nothing. They haven't even made any ET-like or Star Wars-like changes to the original trilogy and I think that's the way it should be.

Some stories don't need to be told. I think we know everything we need to know about certain Star Wars characters. I remember discussing Star Wars with my friends, years before the prequels were even announced, and I remember saying it´d be cool to go back to the SW universe and find out where Darth Vader came from and stuff. But sometimes those stories are better left untold, because you kill the magic.

That´s one of the reasons I refuse to watch any of the movies related to Silence of the Lambs or the TV series. I don't wanna know where Hannibal came from or why he is who he is. It´s like a magic trick, you know. You see it performed and you marvel at how fucking awesome it is, and you think you wanna know how it´s done, but trust me, you don´t. Because if you did, you´d be like: Oh… that´s it? And you won´t enjoy it ever again.

That´s what happens with all these spinoffs and prequels and sequels.

I do wanna see Episode VII, but only because rumor has it the old gang is coming back. But if it weren't for them, I doubt I'd be remotely interested in yet another SW movie. Yeah, the prequels killed SW for me.

No movie in history has got me so excited as Episode VII, even as a kid I dreamed of a sequel to Return of the Jedi. That being said, I agree with pretty much everything you said. Some stories certainly do not need to be told. I love Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and a lot of other legendary franchises. Would all those have been fine if we just left them alone? Absolutely. Back to the Future is a great example and it can be argued that Indy 4 and Star Wars !-III took away from the story for some people. We didn't need to know what happened to Indy 10-20 years after The Last Crusade and I guess we didn't even really need to know about how Anakin became Vader because although it was only a it of information, we had enough to know what the gist of what happened in the original Star Wars trilogy.

I do, however, love needed and "unnecessary" sequels if they are done well because they are a continuation of a story I love. I love the Halo franchise and the story was pretty much wrapped up in Halo 3. However, Microsoft wouldn't let their biggest cash cow die and now we have a 4th game, with more on the way. We didn't need those games or stories, the franchise was fine without them, but I love 4 and am glad it exists. The same can hopefully be said about these new Star Wars movies.

And of course, there is one reason why everyone is so excited. It isn't Disney, It isn't the lack of Lucas, It isn't JJ Abrams or the writing, or even the story since we don't have a clue what it is. We are all excited for the chance to see Mark, Harrison, Carrie, and the rest of the core cast back in their roles, even if it is for one last time. We don't need to see how their stories continue or end, but we all sure as hell want to. Everyone is alive so why the hell not try and make something awesome out of it? They won't be the main roles, but that is ok, these movies will be about passing the torch down to their children or younger heroes and that is totally cool if these are done right. If for some reason the original gang won't be back, my interest and the interest of millions of others will decrease by an untold margin.

Also agree about Fett- lackluster character that simply looks cool and has cool stories outside the movies. That is it, but whatever, I can see a movie about him work lol.

• Like 1