Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

Fuck the expanded universe. I hope Lucas releases an official statement denouncing all of those shit books and cartoons as what they are: shitty non-canon fan fiction that has a license attached to it. Why should Abrams have to work around a bunch of horrible novel storylines to make his film?

Anakin Solo? Palpatine clone? Chewie dies? Boba Fett survives the sarlacc? Go fuck yourself.

Edited by bacardimayne
  • Like 2

Fuck the expanded universe. I hope Lucas releases an official statement denouncing all of those shit books and cartoons as what they are: shitty non-canon fan fiction that has a license attached to it. Why should Abrams have to work around a bunch of horrible novel storylines to make his film?

Anakin Solo? Palpatine clone? Chewie dies? Boba Fett survives the sarlacc? Go fuck yourself.

Agreed.

Most of the novels are considered canon, but not G-Canon. According to Wookieepedia, only the films are the official canon according to George Lucas. Most of the novels are considered secondary canon.

They're completely redoing it now apparently, Disney have an entire team with the sole purpose of sorting it out and disguarding shitty bits of canon and expanding on the G-Canon.

Most of the novels are considered canon, but not G-Canon. According to Wookieepedia, only the films are the official canon according to George Lucas. Most of the novels are considered secondary canon.

They're completely redoing it now apparently, Disney have an entire team with the sole purpose of sorting it out and disguarding shitty bits of canon and expanding on the G-Canon.
Interesting. There was a kids' series I read many years ago that started with The Glove of Darth Vader and they weren't considered canon until a few years ago.

Of course the comics like Infinities and Tales aren't canon. One of the issues of Tales had Han and Chewie crash landing in the Pacific Northwest and Chewie was the origin if Sasquatch. Indiana Jones and Shortround discovered the crash site and Indy remarked that the remains of Han seemed somehow familiar.

And when did they expand on KOTOR/KOTOR II? Last I knew Revan was missing and the Jedi Exile didn't have a name.

Edited by luciusfunk

Interesting. There was a kids' series I read many years ago that started with The Glove of Darth Vader and they weren't considered canon until a few years ago.

Of course the comics like Infinities and Tales aren't canon. One of the issues of Tales had Han and Chewie crash landing in the Pacific Northwest and Chewie was the origin if Sasquatch. Indiana Jones and Shortround discovered the crash site and Indy remarked that the remains of Han seemed somehow familiar.

And when did they expand on KOTOR/KOTOR II? Last I knew Revan was missing and the Jedi Exile didn't have a name.

I believe there are a couple of books and comics which add to the KOTOR canon as well as The Old Republic MMO which is set afterwards but pick up the story threads.

I believe there are a couple of books and comics which add to the KOTOR canon as well as The Old Republic MMO which is set afterwards but pick up the story threads.

At heart, most beloved sci fi franchises, although visually stunning and set in the future or in distant non existent galaxies and planets, are pretty straightforward stories. You know: this is your hero and the guy your gonna be rooting for. Check. This is your love interest. Check. This is the evil bad guy. Check. This is your comic relief. Check.

That may be true for Star Wars but it's not what science fiction is about.

Well, at least one of those are untrue. The love interest thing turned out pretty bad for luke. He only discovered his true love in the EU.

Redheads... gotta love 'em.

I meant science fiction is not about following that formula and creating simple and heartwarming stories. Star Wars is essentially a fantasy series set in space. That's what the formula works for and it's why Star Wars is so good, but don't say that most beloved sci fi franchises are pretty straightforward.

Fuck the extended universe.

Who the fuck reads those books anyways

Are you two the same person?

Edited by GivenToFly

I remember watching the Ewoks films when I was about 9. Are those considered canon? Canonical cack?

George co-wrote those so maybe, yeah. G-Canon is anything George worked on (the movies, the Clone Wars cartoon, and so on). Secondary canon is everything else. But with the Disney era, they wanna make all of the upcoming comics and such have equal canon status as the movies (in other words, build a media-expansive universe like they did with Marvel).

I've come to terms with losing most of the EU (like some others have said, most of it is shit anyway), but there are still a few gems in there that I'll be sad to see go. But if the cost is an awesome new movie trilogy, then I'll get over it and be happy.

Anyways, what do guys think of these new rumors?: http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/01/rumor-michael-fassbender-adam-driver.html