Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

Growing up as a Star Wars fan, I used to think Darth Vader was just a pure hard ass...the way Anakin was portrayed in the prequels shit in my handbag, so to speak.

A Boba Fett movie could be awesome, I doubt it will be though.

If it was just him not talking much at all and getting in lots of gunfights and space battles, it could be cool.

I do think people want to see a Han Solo in his early years, and Boba Fett.

There was always a demand for a follow up to Jedi, and Lucas didn't want to do it, he even came out and said the 9 movie series was arbitrary when he said it one time, but the fans held him to it ever since. You know, like people are still waiting for Chinese Democracy II?

If a franchise stands to make a billion dollars, they're not going to kill it.

I know 2 things Kathleen doesn't want it to be like: George Lucas' prequels, and Indiana Jones 4. Continuity is a big fucking deal here. The chase scenes and fight scenes will be state of the art, but I think most of the look and feel of the film will be "retro" for the most part. I'm sure everyone involved in the film is as passionate about making it a success as the fans of the series, and they want to do the best job possible.

I wish they would make movies with new characters.

This does seem like they are milking Star Wars dry.

Unfortunately, with Star Wars "new characters" are usually just lame versions/amalgamations of established characters...like "Vader's 72nd previously unheard of super secret apprentice!"

hopefully the new era of star wars turns out well. one thing is for sure, since gl made the deal star wars will live on forever which is great.

a boba fett movie? i'll check it out, wouldn't wanna say it's lame before I gave it a chance. would be cool to see a movie about all the bounty hunters.

The best Star Wars video game ever made was all about Jango Fett. Just sayin'...

I didn't know he was in the two Knights of the Old Republic games...

Boba Fett movie will suck, the appeal of the character comes from the mystery behind him and that has already been raped by Episode 2.

The best Star Wars video game ever made was all about Jango Fett. Just sayin'...

Boba Fett movie will suck, the appeal of the character comes from the mystery behind him and that has already been raped by Episode 2.

Nah, there's still a lot more to Boba Fett than AotC revealed.

KOTOR 2 sucked ass. First one was great though.

I'm hoping that Episode VII will feature characters both old and young who are new entirely and not related at all to the Original Trilogy heroes. I can still see Luke, Han, Leia and Lando having camoes or something but for the most part I'd like to see new people entirely who are not related so that it doesn't contradict the Expanded Universe novels.

I never read any of those books, tho. I just think it'd be cool if they stayed canon.

Edited by rocknroll41

They gotta take it slow. The cameos would be ok, I guess. But not enough. Not enough after having to wait such a long time before you can actually see Episode VII in theaters. And it's not just that. This new trilogy is a new opportunity for the Star Wars franchise to bring back the skeptics into the fold. And by skeptics I mean people who lost all faith in SW after the prequels. Me, for instance. So a cameo won't be enough. I want Episode VII to be about Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, Lando. Period. These are beloved characters and the key to slowly introducing new people, new characters.

You can't force me or anyone else to suddenly accept new characters. It's too early in the morning for me to properly convey my ideas in English, but let's put it this way: the problem with the prequels, among many many others, was that there were way too many characters thrown into the mix. Yes, it was a clusterfuck. A confusing turkey of politics and tax bullshit no one really caree about. Keep it simple, people. Gimme a least a couple of charaters I can relate to and root all the way to the credits for.

At heart, most beloved sci fi franchises, although visually stunning and set in the future or in distant non existent galaxies and planets, are pretty straightforward stories. You know: this is your hero and the guy your gonna be rooting for. Check. This is your love interest. Check. This is the evil bad guy. Check. This is your comic relief. Check.

And it's not just that. You gotta make them likeable too. It's hard to care about a movie where 45 minutes into the plot you still don't give a rat's ass about the annoying kid that'll grow up to be Darth Vader.

So: wisely use your old characters to slowly introduce new characters, keep it simple and make you plot engaging, interesting.

The visuals are important too. I think we've all learned by now, or is it learnt?, as you can see I'm still confused about the American and British spelling system. Anyway… We've learned by now videogame-like visuals are not impressive anymore. Yes, it sorta looks cool. But it's hard to follow and even more difficult for me to care about what's going on.

Remember the space battles in the prequels? Did you care about the people dying? I didn't. Remember the space battles in Episode V? I know I cared about the rebels. They were likeable characters. I don't know. I'm not a movie director. But there's something distracting about having 1,000,000 computer generated soldiers running around on your screen.

Someone's been watching Mr. Plinkett ;)

I agree with you that too many characters with little depth and the CGI overload were a clusterfuck in the prequels. Believe me, I hate the prequels more than anyone! I can't even watch them all the way through. But with all do respect, I don't want the new film to be mainly about Luke, Han, Leia and Lando. I don't want this to be Star Wars Episode VII: The Senior Citizen Years.

When the original Star Wars came out in 1977, no one was familiar with the setting or characters and it did just fine. Sequels don't need to recycle everything from the past and originality is key IMO. I want to go forward, not backward. And focusing it on the heroes from the Original Trilogy is going backward IMO.

Besides, it doesn't even matter if they're in the movie at all. Everyone is going to go see this regardless cause it's Star Wars. Even a lot of the prequel-haters like me and Disney haters will give it a chance.

KOTOR 2 sucked ass. First one was great though.

KOTOR 2 is excellent if you have the restored content mod, makes the game far better than the first and almost doubles the length.

Nah, there's still a lot more to Boba Fett than AotC revealed.

Yeah but he was better off having none of of that revealed, having him be revealed as the son of another bounty hunter whose DNA became the core of the clone army was weaksauce.

• Like 1

At heart, most beloved sci fi franchises, although visually stunning and set in the future or in distant non existent galaxies and planets, are pretty straightforward stories. You know: this is your hero and the guy your gonna be rooting for. Check. This is your love interest. Check. This is the evil bad guy. Check. This is your comic relief. Check.

That may be true for Star Wars but it's not what science fiction is about.

Well, at least one of those are untrue. The love interest thing turned out pretty bad for luke. He only discovered his true love in the EU.

Redheads... gotta love 'em.

Well, at least one of those are untrue. The love interest thing turned out pretty bad for luke. He only discovered his true love in the EU.

Redheads... gotta love 'em.

I wonder if Mara Jade will still be canon

Yeah, it would be a shame if all these books were considered non canon.

That's part of the reason why I don't want Luke, Han, Leia, and Lando to be in it much. If they have big roles with kids and all, it'll more than likely contradict the EU. But if they only have cameos and the focus is not on their kids but rather new, unrelated characters entirely, the movie and the EU will probably be able to co-exist in one continuity.

I never really read any of the EU novels, but it doesn't really make sense to me to all of a sudden render them non-canon. But like luciusfunk said, George doesn't really see the EU as part of the same continuity as his movies. He sees it as an alternate universe, so this new movie will more than likely solidify that belief of his.

Edited by rocknroll41