April 23rd, 2014 - Golden Gods - Los Angeles, CA - Axl receives "Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award"

His falsetto/head/mixed voice was never strong tbh. Why he doesnt use chest voice I will never understand. Maybe he is not confident enough?

He just learned to sing differently. It's a good deal unorthodox, but that's the only way you're gonna get those kind of sounds out of a human being.

Extremely unorthodox.... which is why he sounds good on the super high stuff (like the Better breakdown) and struggles so badly on mid-range stuff (and just about everything else).

Bruno, I think he doesn't use his chest voice because it's blown to pieces. I don't think he has a choice; why else would you change your entire singing style so dramatically? I can't ever imagine wanting to switch to falsetto unless something was preventing me from singing the usual way.

He mixed voice was the first thing to go, which makes sense since it's the most difficult to do (it's all over You Could Be Mine). That's why his vocals sound so much thinner in all the Chi Dem recordings, because they are his raspy head voice. If you listen to Argentina 93, when he hits high notes, you can hear almost a whistle behind his voice. The reason he sounded so powerful was he was using his mixed voice, so he never went full head voice, which will cut your vocal output drastically, he always had a chest (modal) voice pushing out more power. Even in 2010, the reason his voice sounded thinner and sharper, was he was using a full rasp head voice, and it's probably what killed it as well.

It has NOTHING to do with confidence, if he tried to sing as high as he used to with his modal range you would probably hear his vocal chords actually rip.

Edited by AxlisOld
  • Like 1

His falsetto/head/mixed voice was never strong tbh. Why he doesnt use chest voice I will never understand. Maybe he is not confident enough?

He just learned to sing differently. It's a good deal unorthodox, but that's the only way you're gonna get those kind of sounds out of a human being.

Extremely unorthodox.... which is why he sounds good on the super high stuff (like the Better breakdown) and struggles so badly on mid-range stuff (and just about everything else).

Bruno, I think he doesn't use his chest voice because it's blown to pieces. I don't think he has a choice; why else would you change your entire singing style so dramatically? I can't ever imagine wanting to switch to falsetto unless something was preventing me from singing the usual way.

He mixed voice was the first thing to go, which makes sense since it's the most difficult to do (it's all over You Could Be Mine). That's why his vocals sound so much thinner in all the Chi Dem recordings, because they are his raspy head voice. If you listen to Argentina 93, when he hits high notes, you can hear almost a whistle behind his voice. The reason he sounded so powerful was he was using his mixed voice, so he never went full head voice, which will cut your vocal output drastically, he always had a chest (modal) voice pushing out more power. Even in 2010, the reason his voice sounded thinner and sharper, was he was using a full rasp head voice, and it's probably what killed it as well.

It has NOTHING to do with confidence, if he tried to sing as high as he used to with his modal range you would probably hear his vocal chords actually rip.

i'm not a singer so i don't know what all this means, but it makes sense to me. i've never heard a singer's voice change as drastically as axl's - if you listen to 2002 bootlegs and compare them to '93 it's like another person altogether is singing them. and '93 to '87 there was a big shift in his style as well. it's crazy, he's been all over the place over the years.

• Like 1

i'm not a singer so i don't know what all this means, but it makes sense to me. i've never heard a singer's voice change as drastically as axl's - if you listen to 2002 bootlegs and compare them to '93 it's like another person altogether is singing them. and '93 to '87 there was a big shift in his style as well. it's crazy, he's been all over the place over the years.

It all has to do with which range, and which part of your throat you sing from.

alls i knows is you could hear the razorblade-shrapnel-damage of his voice at the Lennon tribute when he sang with Springsteen in '94, it was like he was in pain. And probably the fact that he stopped singing after the '93 tour didn't help. I imagine he blew out his voice from '91 - '93 and the fact that he just all of a sudden stopped singing (or so it seems) for ages made it worse. if he'd kind of slowly come down from that tour and done some vocal exercises and worked it more i imagine he may have been able to save himself from as much damage, but who knows. it seems like he was straining himself every night and when he finally stopped his voice just deteriorated over night.

• Like 2

"quite good!"

:wow:

It would be good, if he has any power in voice (2002 etc), but recently it's sounds so weak it's really hurts.

Dude, when you at the shows , it sounds fine. He is way past him prime vocally, but the energy he puts out, along with the band, more than makes up for it if you are there. I don't know how many threads there are going to be about how shitty his voice sounds when reproduced, but when you are there, the mix works. Get the fuck over it already. Anyone who goes to a show and says he sounds horrible is just hyperbole, sometimes he misses a note, or goes Mickey, but Jesus Christ, what the hell you you want.

I love it when people complain he cant sing like he did 12 years ago. Really? Is that right? Inconceivable!

alls i knows is you could hear the razorblade-shrapnel-damage of his voice at the Lennon tribute when he sang with Springsteen in '94, it was like he was in pain. And probably the fact that he stopped singing after the '93 tour didn't help. I imagine he blew out his voice from '91 - '93 and the fact that he just all of a sudden stopped singing (or so it seems) for ages made it worse. if he'd kind of slowly come down from that tour and done some vocal exercises and worked it more i imagine he may have been able to save himself from as much damage, but who knows. it seems like he was straining himself every night and when he finally stopped his voice just deteriorated over night.

It is like a high performance engine ER. He runs his voice close to tolerance, always has, so it is harder to keep healthy. James Taylor can sing forever cause he runs his voice like a Honda Accord. (I love him BTW). Just the way it is. Axl has always been on "11" so, you get what you have here."

• Like 1

what the hell you you want

my money back if he sings this way

good enough when you're out there on a show?

maybe for you but not for me

He is Axl Rose

If he couldn't keep up just a little 10% of his former self, then retire for god's sake....

This is just embarassing, not to mention he mostly plays the old hits (which is quite sad if you look at his battle for the name and this band)

Edited by Crash Diet
  • Like 1

I still find it hilarious/pathetic that Ashba has to have Ron help him on the faster part of the Sweet Child O' Mine solo... What a mess haha

Yeah.. A lead guitarist should be able to do that.. Same for YCBM.

It is so sad that we could literally roll call over a dozen songs. In reality it is for the best that Ron helps him on a good portion of solos. His mass murdering versions of the Sorry, This I Love, Better, Street of Dreams, CD etc etc solos are terrible enough.

Listening to the 2006 band play street of dreams and better makes me realise just how crap Ashba really is. His tone even sucks dick.

• Like 1

It is so sad that we could literally roll call over a dozen songs. In reality it is for the best that Ron helps him on a good portion of solos. His mass murdering versions of the Sorry, This I Love, Better, Street of Dreams, CD etc etc solos are terrible enough.

Listening to the 2006 band play street of dreams and better makes me realise just how crap Ashba really is. His tone even sucks dick.

You forgot IRS:

Yep his tone is horrific. I'm not sure how he can make a Gibson sound horrible, but he does.

My amp and pedal only came to £200 and something, it's only a solid state amp too, yet playing my Gibson through that sounds far better than Ashba's setup.

Yep his tone is horrific. I'm not sure how he can make a Gibson sound horrible, but he does.

My amp and pedal only came to £200 and something, it's only a solid state amp too, yet playing my Gibson through that sounds far better than Ashba's setup.

My Diddley-Bo sounds better than his tone.

He is Axl Rose

If he couldn't keep up just a little 10% of his former self, then retire for god's sake....

This is just embarassing, not to mention he mostly plays the old hits (which is quite sad if you look at his battle for the name and this band)

What show did you pay for that you feel you deserve some money back for again?

He is Axl Rose

I think you are the one that is embarrassed and not Axl, so maybe it's you that should retire? ;)

You forgot IRS:

Ashba does a decent job on better and street of dreams

This I love, Sorry, Irs are the ones he has trouble with

In fact Finck struggled almost every show with the Street of Dreams/blues solo, even though he wrote them

His version of This I love solo is a disgrace to the original though

• 2 weeks later...