April 23rd, 2014 - Golden Gods - Los Angeles, CA - Axl receives "Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award"

Guest NGOG

was just comparing this pro-shot from less than four years ago:

crazy how much his voice deteriorated in that short span of time. :(

two of the best performances of TiL and SoD ever.

I agree with you, but at the time, that performance was ridiculed!
Goes to show we're never really happy with what we have (collectively speaking).

That's how it is when you have millions of fans though. Nobody is ever going to have 100% agreement on any issue.

Absolutely irrelevant to the point at hand. We're not talking about diversity of opinion, we're referring to how the majority of the community criticized a clearly good performance.

Reading, although now regarded as an example of how Axl should perform, was regarded at the time as a poor performance.

NGOG, just because YOU think something was "clearly" good doesn't mean that it was actually good.

Music is all about personal preference.

I thought Axl sounded horrible at the Golden God show. Go to MSL's site or Jarmo's site and you'll see people saying how awesome and amazing Axl sounded.

I think maybe you'd have less angst on this forum if you realized that just because you feel strongly about an issue, your opinion isn't automatically correct and people who disagree with you are wrong. Doesn't mean you are right, doesn't mean they are right.

It's OK for people to have different opinions. Music is about personal preference.

• Like 1

Guest NGOG

NGOG, just because YOU think something was "clearly" good doesn't mean that it was actually good.

Where did I refer to my own opinion? ER posted Reading as an example of a good performance - as have several others.

Whereas at the time, very few were speaking in favour of the performance. Most were focusing on Axl's 'Graham Norton' jacket, and Richard's 'poorly performed' November Rain solo.

Please don't create any further strawman arguments, with respect, I'm tired of having to read through ramblings which have nothing to do with the point at hand.

Where did I refer to my own opinion? ER posted Reading as an example of a good performance - as have several others.

Whereas at the time, very few were speaking in favour of the performance. Most were focusing on Axl's 'Graham Norton' jacket, and Richard's 'poorly performed' November Rain solo.

Please don't create any further strawman arguments, with respect, I'm tired of having to read through ramblings which have nothing to do with the point at hand.

1. Because ER (much respect to that guy) says something is good - and you agree - that means that everybody says it is good?

2. You keep downgrading the importance of this forum's opinion based on it just being 50 members.....but now you are saying it is very relevant that people on here were focusing on Axl's jacket? Which is it?

3. You need to look up the definition of strawman before you use it again, just to make sure you understand the definition of the term.

He switches because he wants to use his old voice but can't.

ive never seen it so obvious within a song that he is struggling than this....ive sang live and in the beginning when i listened back i was terrible and out of key and didnt even know...and have been in a song and lost where i was suppose to be tone wise....i think he can still use that voice , if he sang the whole song like some of the lines he hits we would all be happy with the performance. makes me think something else is going on with the guy...its now just so fucking weird to me ????

was just comparing this pro-shot from less than four years ago:

crazy how much his voice deteriorated in that short span of time. :(

two of the best performances of TiL and SoD ever.

holy shit! thanks for sharing! TIL was incredible! axl at his very best

It's night and day, 2011 Axl got abducted or something then plonked back down in Rio not in the best of moods after a long hard slog breathing the atmosphere of LV-223 escaping those aliens or something. Maybe they all had Slash hair and tommy hilfiger jackets too. Some shit went down alright.

I can say Axl's voice is ok when you are in the show. Listening in good qualitiy records, it's clear that he intentionally switchs from a raspy voice (dangerous to his vocal chords) to an acute but not raspy

voice. If he didn't do it, he could not be able to keep singing. What really matters is the live audience, and the effect still quite good!

His falsetto/head/mixed voice was never strong tbh. Why he doesnt use chest voice I will never understand. Maybe he is not confident enough?

He just learned to sing differently. It's a good deal unorthodox, but that's the only way you're gonna get those kind of sounds out of a human being.

His falsetto/head/mixed voice was never strong tbh. Why he doesnt use chest voice I will never understand. Maybe he is not confident enough?

He just learned to sing differently. It's a good deal unorthodox, but that's the only way you're gonna get those kind of sounds out of a human being.

Extremely unorthodox.... which is why he sounds good on the super high stuff (like the Better breakdown) and struggles so badly on mid-range stuff (and just about everything else).

Bruno, I think he doesn't use his chest voice because it's blown to pieces. I don't think he has a choice; why else would you change your entire singing style so dramatically? I can't ever imagine wanting to switch to falsetto unless something was preventing me from singing the usual way.