Another coffee thread.

arnold layne

Bryson offers the best explanation of the difference between British and American humour.

But it is certainly true that wit is not as venerated a quality here (America) as it is in Britain. John Cleese once said: 'an Englishman would rather be told he was a bad lover than that he had no sense of humour.'....I do not think there are many Americans who would subscribe to that view. Humour here is like good driving skills or having a nose for wine or being able to pronounce feuilleton correctly - commendable, worthy of admiration but not actually vital. It in't that there are no people with an active sense of humour in America, just far fewer. When you encounter one it's a little as I imagine it must be when two Masons recognize each other across a crowded room.

And on drinking in America:

I have discovered to my dismay that when an American friend invites you out for a beer that is exactly what he means - a beer. You sip it delicately for about 45 minutes until it is gone and then your companion says, ''hey, that was fun. Let's do it again next year.'

Tea seems to go better with food too?

No way. It depends entirely on what you're eating. Tea is lovely with toast and marmalade but a croissant or brioche needs coffee. It's like red and white wine, one just goes so well with certain foods, and vice versa.

I have two coffees each day. One in the morning: a Nespresso capsule (the dark green ones) which is really delicious, followed by a cafe latte with two sugars at about 10am. If I'm really tired I might have another at lunchtime, but otherwise I'm fine for the rest of the day. I drink wine in the afternoon. :awesomeface:

Thank God you rocked up. These plebeians have such awful taste in coffee.

*cue whining about Melbournites being a buncha wankers about coffee*

Right? Fuck the percolator coffee. It's the worst coffee I've ever had, I'd rather have instant Moccona than drips of coffee dribbling into a pot that then has to keep the coffee warm because its so slow coming through, so that by the time you're actually drinking it its basically stale coffee.

I have discovered to my dismay that when an American friend invites you out for a beer that is exactly what he means - a beer. You sip it delicately for about 45 minutes until it is gone and then your companion says, ''hey, that was fun. Let's do it again next year.'

Imagine my surprise when having lunch with a couple of ladies in San Diego that drinking a jug of beer was not acceptable. :lol:

Imagine my surprise when having lunch with a couple of ladies in San Diego that drinking a jug of beer was not acceptable. :lol:
@ DD - what so more than one is off limits?

@ Dazey - life isn't worth living. Can't you order a jug without looking like an arse?

Guest Len B'stard

How come in the films they sell em in jugs then? Are you telling me telly ain't real? :lol:

How come in the films they sell em in jugs then? Are you telling me telly ain't real? :lol:
They sell them in jugs to share between groups of people :lol:

Don't shoot the messenger, I am merely quoting Bryson here. But the Yanks are not boozy like us. Prohibition and everything. It actually historically goes back to the puritan settlers. The very first Americans were reverently, anti-alcohol. I have often thought that the east coast is boozier than the west. New York looks like it might have a few drinking dens. But still, they do not have that boozy culture like Britain has.

Don't shoot the messenger, I am merely quoting Bryson here. But the Yanks are not boozy like us. Prohibition and everything. It actually historically goes back to the puritan settlers. The very first Americans were reverently, anti-alcohol. I have often thought that the east coast is boozier than the west. New York looks like it might have a few drinking dens. But still, they do not have that boozy culture like Britain has.

I think no other country has a boozy culture like Britain :lol:

How many cups of coffee a day do you drink?

2-10. Depends.

Light roast or dark roast?

Both are fine. Currently going through a pack of light roast, next one will be dark.

Cream or sugar? Booze?

Nothing usually. Maybe milk in the weekends.

Drip coffee? Percolator?

The hell is a percolator? Drip coffee.

I just used coffeemate

*sits back and watches all the coffee poofs have a heart attack* :lol:

1. Bellend. :lol:

2. We're bigger pissheads than you Pom bastards anyday.

EDIT: I actually love eating Coffee Mate straight out the packet.

Edited by Johnny Drama

Guest Len B'stard

I dunno man, i don't fuckin' brew the bastards but i know how to get a round in and i know that lagers lager and bitter is bitter, I ain't taking evening classes in the shit so I couldn't tell ya exactly what the difference is, I'm sure one of these clued up fuckers like Username or young Mcleod could tell you the difference.