DUFF = No new songs

Everyone is pretty excited about Duff's returning, but .... this means no new songs.

I mean, it doesn't seems likely that they present new songs, like Atlas, Check or General, without Tommy.

This is Duff vs New Songs .... make you choice. I don't remember seeing so much excitement around a bass player. :shrugs:

Btw ... welcome back home Duff :headbang:

I don't see how Duff coming back is any different than if Axl had joined at the Rock Hall Of Fame. Yeah, I get that it was all a ploy to get him there so he didn't want them to win, but it was also a branding issue that Axl has said these guys rule and playing with older members would look bad for him. If he doesn't think people are gonna think the band is miles better with Duff than he is crazy. I just don't get what he's accomplishing by this. Clearly he knows the original band is better and now he's basically just dangling it in our face by not reuniting with all of them.

It dusnt mater cuz we culd heer RAW POWWWEEERRRR!!!!!

Well I´d rather hear Raw Power than This I Love or some DJ solo :shrugs: I think it is clear by now that Axl has no intentions to play The General, Soul Monster or any other unheard song during this tour. So with Duff at least we will have a little shake up in the set list.

It dusnt mater cuz we culd heer RAW POWWWEEERRRR!!!!!

Well I´d rather hear Raw Power than This I Love or some DJ solo :shrugs: I think it is clear by now that Axl has no intentions to play The General, Soul Monster or any other unheard song during this tour. So with Duff at least we will have a little shake up in the set list.

I know. I'm not dumb enough to think it's Duff holding us back from new songs.

• Like 1

Also, interestingly, from Duff's setlist, they wont be playing any Chinese songs that reference anything to do with the breakup which is probably why Sorry and Madagascar were taken out from the start. Would be kind of awkward to play Sorry since Duff is the one who told Axl to 'just shut up and sing' XD

I don't see how Duff coming back is any different than if Axl had joined at the Rock Hall Of Fame. Yeah, I get that it was all a ploy to get him there so he didn't want them to win, but it was also a branding issue that Axl has said these guys rule and playing with older members would look bad for him. If he doesn't think people are gonna think the band is miles better with Duff than he is crazy. I just don't get what he's accomplishing by this. Clearly he knows the original band is better and now he's basically just dangling it in our face by not reuniting with all of them.

Axl speaks his principles but acts his wallet.

Everyone is pretty excited about Duff's returning, but .... this means no new songs.

I mean, it doesn't seems likely that they present new songs, like Atlas, Check or General, without Tommy.

This is Duff vs New Songs .... make you choice. I don't remember seeing so much excitement around a bass player. :shrugs:

Btw ... welcome back home Duff :headbang:

so what?! it's not like every show they've done this tour is chock full of new songs and deep albums cuts -- if you're gonna play a nostalgia set list, may as well have one of the original members than a hired hand

The either/or proposition of this thread is a bit faulty, since it suggests that if Tommy were to stay on for the rest of the SA tour we'd be getting new songs. Considering we heard nothing the first four or five shows, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that no new material (as in new songs not previously unheard before) were ever going to be played.

Seems like with Duff taking over for a little bit that we're now more likely to hear new songs, as in songs we know but have haven't been performed by GNR in quite some time. If you're a fan of new material, it's the best your going to get. Wishing for The General or Atlas Shrug is a fool's errand. At the very least, it disrupts the monotony that is this band.

I do agree that getting excited over a switch at bass is pretty silly. True, it's great to see two members from the classic lineup reunite for an entire show, but other than a few changes from the setlist, is it really going to change the sound of the show all that much? It's bass for fucking sake. I'm super psyched to see Duff play with Axl, but I'm also mindful that I don't think songs like Welcome to the Jungle or Paradise City are going to sound all that different for those attending.

Edited by downzy
  • Like 1

The either/or proposition of this thread is a bit faulty, since it suggests that if Tommy were to stay on for the rest of the SA tour we'd be getting new songs. Considering we heard nothing the first four or five shows, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that no new material (as in new songs not previously unheard before) were ever going to be played.

Seems like with Duff taking over for a little bit that we're now more likely to hear new songs, as in songs we know but have haven't been performed by GNR in quite some time. If you're a fan of new material, it's the best your going to get. Wishing for The General or Atlas Shrug is a fool's errand. At the very least, it disrupts the monotony that is this band.

I do agree that getting excited over a switch at bass is pretty silly. True, it's great to see two members from the classic lineup reunite for an entire show, but other than a few changes from the setlist, is it really going to change the sound of the show all that much? It's bass for fucking sake. I'm super psyched to see Duff play with Axl, but I'm also mindful that I don't think songs like Welcome to the Jungle or Paradise City are going to sound all that different for those attending.

My exact sentiments, just about word for word.

Also, interestingly, from Jeff's setlist, they wont be playing any Chinese songs that reference anything to do with the breakup which is probably why Sorry and Madagascar were taken out from the start. Would be kind of awkward to play Sorry since Jeff is the one who told Eddie to 'just shut up and sing' XD

Well, then I can draw an even crazier conclusion which explains a lot: most of the C D sessions are songs which are about the old band and what happened back then. Maybe the songs express a feeling which he doesn't have anymore today.

Maybe he feels it's time to bury them.

And then all those unheard songs will never be heard :P

Next conclusion: there is no new material anymore in his mind and they have to start over.

:shrugs::lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Lethalis