The "I also get dressed in the morning but I don't make a big deal of it" thread.

Thin White Duke

Guest Len B'stard

Ha, I never cared what anybody thought of what I wear. It's a proud tradition really. In highschool I was the oddball with baggy pants, long hair, wide bandshirts.. In college and uni I was the guy in the kilt or the large yellow tartan 3/4 shorts. Or the corduroy patch 70's pants. I liked being the odd one out. Never had a problem with it. I also used to dig the reactions. From giggling 14 year olds laughing at me to old ladies stopping me on the street to tell me they liked seeing a young person wearing such colourful clothing (that actually happened, more than once). I always cared about looks, but never about fashion. I just did what I thought was fun, and I dug the reactions. Positive and negative. Yes, I did mellow out (or grow up?) a bit, but I still like that. I don't mind showing up at work in jeans and a bandshirt. I don't mind wearing a pyjama or sweatpants to the store/supermarket. I've always thought fashion is awfully pretentious. Still a bit of an alternative teen at heart maybe. ;)

Whats the difference between fashion and what you were doing though?

It was sort of an anything goes whatever the fuck you feel like vs having to keep up with and follow trends that were set by whoever decides that stuff.

Thats kinda what the people who lead the way with this shit do to create trends though, so it's kinda part of a similar machinery really.

There is a big difference between fashion and style.

Right and there's also a difference between fashion and trends, fashion means relating to clothes and y'know, I'd wager that the people that confine themselves to two types of garment (i.e. jeans and t shirt) care as much about fashion as the one this thread is criticising. I mean thats pretty militant, confining yourself to two types of clothing...surely if you didn't care there wouldn't be a need for such a strict rule.

The position is further exposed by the fact that a lot of the people that appear to be banging on with the 'only jeans and a t shirt because we don't care about how we look' schtick are the same people that cry gaayyy or fag or whatever whenever something relating to clothes is discussed, quite frankly it's pretty transparent, the ones acting like they don't care are the ones with the strictest standards regarding clothes, the ones that will try the least shit, are against a wide range of ideas regarding clothes.

And these are the ones that don't care, right? Hmm, yeah :lol: It appears the ones who don't care have the most rules about this shit.

And also, in the context of this forum, they're the ones getting wound up about clothing being discussed, if it don't matter to you then why the issue?

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 2

But when my wife forgets about her duties in keeping me well-dressed and looking presentable, I just put on whatever I have laying available AS LONG AS IT IS COMFORTABLE. As I said, I can't be bothered anymore. I bought this light-weight, comfortable trousers for biking to and from work. I have found I can't bother to change when I get home from work so I just keep on wearing it. It is also very good when I am out working in the garden, carrying fire wood, renovating the basement, etc. It now has holes in it and dirt everywhere, but I don't care. BECAUSE IT IS COMFORTABLE and as long as my wife doesn't tell me to put on something else, I DON'T CARE. This lovely trousers is usually accentuated with whatever t-shirt is at the top in my drawer to give a consistent look that says "Whatever".

Don't get me wrong, I do dress up when I have to, like at work and when going to parties and so on - and enjoy it. But my days of caring about what strangers, neighbours, people in shops, and so on thinks about me, are long gone now. I don't need to impress these people and I don't care if I don't.

those who care about fashion care most about the impression they are

placing on you....i wear american eagle t-shirts inside out cause i aint

your fucking billboard...armani can suck me

Those who really have an interest in clothing/fashion and the craft of making clothes generally have an aversion to any logos on their clothing. On a good bag or pair of shoes it can be a mark of quality but a t shirt? Fuck that. They sell those to all the wannabes who use the label as a status symbol, they generally have no clue about the cut of a collar, a super fine French seam or the perfect matching of a print/stripe/check on a jacket or pair of pants.

Most people who really care about the craft of clothing and the innovation of fashion are only interested in the clothes, no one else.

• Like 1

I come to mygnr to circlejerk about my watch with other people who come to mygnr to circlejerk about their watches. Anyone who comes to mygnr and doesn't do this is clearly a fat nerd with no sense of style. Oh, I know, I'll go and post a clever gif of a fat person about them in the gif thread! Look lithium! Teehee.

Sounds like we've got another hoodie and jeans hooray for tolerance!.

Guest Len B'stard

those who care about fashion care most about the impression they are

placing on you....i wear american eagle t-shirts inside out cause i aint

your fucking billboard...armani can suck me

Believe it or not, Armani probably dont want you to either. I mean they make mass repro' type shit sometimes because there's money in it but at the same time it dont do them any favours when your regular folk walk around with Armani or Versace emblazoned across their shit, it actually devalues the brand like what happened to Burberry, they want a certain type of person wearing their shit, famous rich motherfuckers, the beautiful people.

In the early days of hip hop rappers used to purposely wear fake gear as a way of satirising the folk Uptown/the whole designer thing and to fuck up their brands :lol: weird how its all come full circle huh? Now rappers celebrate the fact that they pay thousands for the real shit, somewhere somebody has missed the point.

nowadays around 25% of the world's luxury purchases are made by Chinese, then about 20% by Russians, shortly followed by Brazilians, Indians and Saudi, if im not mistaken … Famous and beautiful motherfuckers often get designer clothes for free, brands call it “smart marketing”

Guest Len B'stard

Y'know one thing I've noticed? People that come from working class backgrounds have a tendency to really be fond of smart clothes, of looking good and all this stuff and it's usually your middle class person that likes to do the T shirt and jeans thing. It seems like each party wants to appear to be like the other one, it's odd. Or obvious even.

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 1