The "I also get dressed in the morning but I don't make a big deal of it" thread.

Thin White Duke

Ha, I never cared what anybody thought of what I wear. It's a proud tradition really. In highschool I was the oddball with baggy pants, long hair, wide bandshirts.. In college and uni I was the guy in the kilt or the large yellow tartan 3/4 shorts. Or the corduroy patch 70's pants. I liked being the odd one out. Never had a problem with it. I also used to dig the reactions. From giggling 14 year olds laughing at me to old ladies stopping me on the street to tell me they liked seeing a young person wearing such colourful clothing (that actually happened, more than once). I always cared about looks, but never about fashion. I just did what I thought was fun, and I dug the reactions. Positive and negative. Yes, I did mellow out (or grow up?) a bit, but I still like that. I don't mind showing up at work in jeans and a bandshirt. I don't mind wearing a pyjama or sweatpants to the store/supermarket. I've always thought fashion is awfully pretentious. Still a bit of an alternative teen at heart maybe. ;)

Sounds like a giant attention whore to me.

A little. But it wasn't really the main objective. Never did it to shock or anything. I genuinely thought it was cool (still do). But I did find the reactions that I got very funny.

Guest Len B'stard

Ha, I never cared what anybody thought of what I wear. It's a proud tradition really. In highschool I was the oddball with baggy pants, long hair, wide bandshirts.. In college and uni I was the guy in the kilt or the large yellow tartan 3/4 shorts. Or the corduroy patch 70's pants. I liked being the odd one out. Never had a problem with it. I also used to dig the reactions. From giggling 14 year olds laughing at me to old ladies stopping me on the street to tell me they liked seeing a young person wearing such colourful clothing (that actually happened, more than once). I always cared about looks, but never about fashion. I just did what I thought was fun, and I dug the reactions. Positive and negative. Yes, I did mellow out (or grow up?) a bit, but I still like that. I don't mind showing up at work in jeans and a bandshirt. I don't mind wearing a pyjama or sweatpants to the store/supermarket. I've always thought fashion is awfully pretentious. Still a bit of an alternative teen at heart maybe. ;)

Whats the difference between fashion and what you were doing though?

1384389056483842_animate.gif

Whats the difference between fashion and what you were doing though?

It was sort of an anything goes whatever the fuck you feel like vs having to keep up with and follow trends that were set by whoever decides that stuff.

I have very good taste when I'm wealthy and thin. Today I wore cargo pants and a Saints jersey. :lol:

:lol:

So are you saying all that marriage has brought you thus far is poverty and obesity?

Is that not how it's supposed to work? :lol:
  • Like 1

There is also a big difference between liking to dress well and paying attention to whatever you like to wear... and spending all day scrutinizing what to wear so you give this or that impression. The second thing is proper to try-hards who don't have too much self-confidence.

And spending all day talking about your looks also makes you seem conceited. There is nothing like someone who looks great but they don't give any importance to it. Fashion/clothes should be the mean, not the goal.

That said, I am wearing a Family Guy/Star Wars themed t-shirt that I bought for like 10 bucks a couple of years ago and I look geekily awesome. And I don't remeber last time I combed my hair.

post-36871-there-Ive-said-it-gif-House-o

Edited by Thin White Duke

I personally just love (LOVE!) to shop and look good. It's not rocket science.

Nice. And you have like 4 or 5 threads to show your love for that. This is just a thread for those who don't find it that awesome... and for Dazey.

Oh, I know. I'm not here to shit on your thread, there are others who can do that.

My point was not that I love fashion (and I do) but that it literally isn't rocket science.

Nice. And you have like 4 or 5 threads to show your love for that. This is just a thread for those who don't find it that awesome... and for Dazey.

Oh, I know. I'm not here to shit on your thread, there are others who can do that.

My point was not that I love fashion (and I do) but that it literally isn't rocket science.

Oh, get it. And yeah, that's another thing that amuses me when reading these threads. I mean, it's not that difficult, is it? :lol:

I have very good taste when I'm wealthy and thin. Today I wore cargo pants and a Saints jersey. :lol:

So are you saying all that marriage has brought you thus far is poverty and obesity?

Is that not how it's supposed to work? :lol:

Not sure if that's how it's supposed to work.....but in most cases, that's how it works..... :lol:

I come to mygnr to circlejerk about my watch with other people who come to mygnr to circlejerk about their watches. Anyone who comes to mygnr and doesn't do this is clearly a fat nerd with no sense of style. Oh, I know, I'll go and post a clever gif of a fat person about them in the gif thread! Look lithium! Teehee.

Divine mistress redhead, what do you think of this jacket?

• Like 1

Oh, get it. And yeah, that's another thing that amuses me when reading these threads. I mean, it's not that difficult, is it? :lol:

Nah, it's piss easy. The easiest $11.1 billion that Miuccia Prada ever made, the easiest $9 billion that Giorgio Armani ever made, the easiest $7 billion that Ralph Lauren ever made. :lol: I guess if its that easy it's those that AREN'T doing it that are the morons then. :awesomeface:

And yes I agree, it LITERALLY isn't rocket science, is it? Smart observation :thumbsup:

For me, it's a balance.

If it's my day off and I don't plan on doing anything in particular, I have no problem taking a trip to the supermarket in a t-shirt and basketball shorts. As a matter of fact, I just went a picked up a pizza in basketball shorts and sandals.... :D

On the other hand, it feels good to make yourself look good for the right occasion. I usually wear either polo/golf shirts w/ dress pants or shirts/ties for work. If I go out somewhere, (like a club/lounge, bar,etc. )I usually wear a "cool looking" shirt with designer jeans and a decent looking pair of shoes.

For "daytime" clothing, if I'm going to a park or the beach, I usually put on a golf shirt with khaki shorts...with either sandals or sneakers.

Well said. The thing about dressing properly is understanding appropriateness of occasion. I love the Italians and think they have a real flair for stylish dressing but geez, they get it wrong sometimes. I remember being in rural Tuscany and im talking out in the middle of nowhere, not even in Siena or San Gimignano or somewhere like that, and seeing women dressed to the nines, in all black with long stiletto boots, tight pants and jackets with huge collars and buckles all over them, etc, etc. While I appreciated their exuberance it was soooo out of place. I wondered if they'd missed the turn off to Milan and ended up where they were by accident. :lol:

I don't mind going to the supermarket in my pyjama's. By bike, of course. -_-

I think I did that once in Amsterdam. :D

No one cared at all. Probably because they were used to this little old guy who walked around the canals in green patent leather lederhosen and bright yellow clogs. It just didn't seem so strange when you compared it to that little dude. I wonder if he's still there?