What is Duff thinking?

He was probably thinking that he was gonna turn Tom-Ass into Tom-Sore-Ass. He correctly predicted that he could inflict a severe amount of butthurt on an idiot and did it. He's out ta get you.

You're pretty tough behind the keyboard you fucking cunt.

I could give a rats ass about Duff playing with Axl. I actually thought it was kind of cool. I am just wondering what Duff thinks now that he did it. I can't imagine that he is is proud of those performances and it was of no fault of his..

:lol: I never claimed to be tough no matter where I'm at, but I appreciate that you're stupid enough to be intimidated by the truth. Duff was making you cry the moment you made the thread and everybody is laughing at you for it.

Again, I am not questioning why Duff fucking did it. I am just curious as to what he thinks about the experience now. Get off your high horse.

You said you were losing respect for Duff because he jammed with Axl's band. I found this comment to be ignorant and I explained why. Now you are changing tracks and saying you are just curious what he thinks about Axl's band. Don't tell me I'm on a high horse and insinuate that I misinterpreted your post when I directly responded to exactly what you said.

For the record? I doubt he really acknowledges some of the faults we do (e.g. Axl's voice). He may be aware of them, but I doubt he cares. I get the vibe that he's just plain happy to be helping out his old friend and rebuilding some broken bridges so to speak. I don't think he jammed with them for opportunistic reasons.

Um, is that really exactly what I said? Maybe you should go back and read the original post. I did not say ANYTHING about Duff's decision to join Axl's band. He has done it before, it is no big deal. And I did say in the original post that I wonder he thinks of the bands performance.

I wonder if Axl asked him to join the band permanently if he would as bad as they are.

Edited by Tom-Ass

Um, is that really exactly what I said?

you wrote:

I tuned in to watch some videos of the recent shows and am almost losing some respect for Duff.

That's the part I was responding to. It seems fair to assume, based on your comment, that you're losing respect for Duff because he's playing with Axl's band. Your implication seems to be that the band sucks right now, and that you're losing respect for Duff because he jammed with them. If so, my post above stands. If I'm wrong, forgive me.

At the risk of sounding mushy, maybe Duff simply saw it as a chance to perform with an old friend again. He's done so much in music that he doesn't have anything to prove, he has his various bands and side projects, he's sober, he's financially set, he seems to genuinely enjoy being onstage and playing (see: all the side projects), and he's certainly able to take on concerts just for his own pleasure at this point in time. So maybe he wasn't looking at this in terms of quality or popular opinion. Maybe he just loved the chance to get onstage, play songs he helped write and still loved, and play with an old friend again. I don't think he should be slammed for that.

As to what he thinks of it now? From his comments, it seems as though he had fun and liked being onstage with his old buddy.

Edited by stella
  • Like 2

Most of what~is said here is ludicrous. Trying to read too much into everything. He played some of the great songs he helped create to a fanatic crowd, with an old buddy he made peace with and had a blast. There's absolutely nothing more to it.

• Like 1

This is a pretty simple situation:

Duff saw a chance to have a good time with his old friend, play the songs he helped create to an audience who fell in love with his work, and make some cash while doing it. So he took it.

Now he's going back to his normal life.

The end.

• Like 3

It's interesting to look at the reactions when the rumour was first announced.

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/205591-duff-mckagan-to-play-with-guns-n-roses-in-brazil-rumorspeculation-only/

I'll admit I thought it was horseshit since there's so many horseshit rumours started by Brazilian promoters looking to sell a few extra tickets, but happily this turned out to be true.

Also interesting to note that this rumour was around since early February, whereas Duff said a week ago he got a call 5 weeks ago. My guess is he just forgot how much time had passed, and he was there with the band for rehearsals in early March (photos of him and Tommy at rehearsals, and the "What's going on here?" shot of the closed doors for rehearsal on Nightrain).

On topic, I guess he's glad to play a handful of shows with an old friend, play songs he hasn't played in years, and make some good money, too. It's cool that him and Bumble get on. I honestly don't see how he can stand DJ, though. Really bothers me how DJ makes sure he's between Axl and Duff in that shot on the plane, and keeps showing off in front of Duff at shows (and messing up in the process). He's like the annoying little kid trying to act cool in front of his older brother's mates.

Where was that pic? I missed it

Besides Axl's voice for these shows and of course DJ Ashba, the band sounds great.

Thank goodness Duff and Axl are cool with each other, the whole grudge with Slash is absolutely retarded and sadly with GNR it has become the yardstick.

Considering that the 5 of them (and later Matt and to a lesser extent Gilby and Dizzy) ruled the music world for a time you would think that bond would surpass any bullshit, especially since it's nearly 20 years ago now.

I don't go much on his post GNR music, but Duff is an awesome guy and his book was really cool- as someone who has had booze and drug problems myself (thankfully not as bad as his, I couldn't afford it) I really enjoyed it and his story is inspiring to say the least.

I hope Duff can help Axl put his Slash grudge to rest, even if it doesn't mean reunion.

• Like 1

I tuned in to watch some videos of the recent shows and am almost losing some respect for Duff.

Why? Because he has the fucking balls (and maturity, but mostly balls) to man up, accept shared responsibility for any past turmoil and jam with an old friend in need of a bassist?

In the Illusions era, Duff was probably the member I connected with the least. In retrospect, it seems apparent this may have been due to the fact that he was zonked out on booze and drugs nonstop. Today, I think he's the member I respect the most. He's done so much with his life since facing his demons, he wrote a touching memoir (as opposed to having it ghost written by someone else), and in doing so, has helped others with their addictions. He seems like the coolest, most down-to-earth dude ever.

He's a fucking stand-up dude, he jammed with Axl's band probably as a token of appreciation for their past friendship more than anything, and I find this thread pretty pathetic.

Yes, this. Back in the day I thought Duff was basically a drunken idiot. I didn't realize how much the booze & drugs contributed, but it seemed like he was as dumb as Adler back then. We know better now, and I agree with you in that he has become the Gunner I respect the most as well. Loved his book, and am a big fan now. He's got such great perspective now on the "good old days".

I am serious, what do you think Duff honestly thinks about the State of Guns right now? I tuned in to watch some videos of the recent shows and am almost losing some respect for Duff. This band is so god damn bad. I just wonder if he is really enjoying himself out there. This band has destroyed these songs and they sound nothing like they used to. Is he really proud to be part of that? Then there is Axl who sounds like a dying squirrel and looks like weirdo. The guy has zero stage presence left. He just look sand sounds so awkward up there. I wonder if Duff has watched any of these performances..

Watching what they did to those classic songs on the Golden Gods show made me want to puke.

I haven't been a fan of Axl carrying on with this band but when he first came back, he still sounded pretty good and had a cool stage presence. The band at the time also did the songs justice like at the first Rock In Rio with Finck and BH. They looked like ass clowns but they still sounded pretty good.

The band is bad ? LOL

I am serious, what do you think Duff honestly thinks about the State of Guns right now? I tuned in to watch some videos of the recent shows and am almost losing some respect for Duff. This band is so god damn bad. I just wonder if he is really enjoying himself out there. This band has destroyed these songs and they sound nothing like they used to. Is he really proud to be part of that? Then there is Axl who sounds like a dying squirrel and looks like weirdo. The guy has zero stage presence left. He just look sand sounds so awkward up there. I wonder if Duff has watched any of these performances..

Watching what they did to those classic songs on the Golden Gods show made me want to puke.

I haven't been a fan of Axl carrying on with this band but when he first came back, he still sounded pretty good and had a cool stage presence. The band at the time also did the songs justice like at the first Rock In Rio with Finck and BH. They looked like ass clowns but they still sounded pretty good.

70018734a1cd5f298c5b7eedbfd6f5e5fd344375

• Like 1

Lol criticise this band for butchering the old songs yet you praise Bucket and Finck on the rir2001 performance

looool you're an idiot

This is a pretty simple situation:

Duff saw a chance to have a good time with his old friend, play the songs he helped create to an audience who fell in love with his work, and make some cash while doing it. So he took it.

Now he's going back to his normal life.

The end.

Yep.

A longtime friend is a longtime friend. Even if you don't exactly love his current choice of girlfriend.

Why? Because he has the fucking balls (and maturity, but mostly balls) to man up, accept shared responsibility for any past turmoil and jam with an old friend in need of a bassist?

In the Illusions era, Duff was probably the member I connected with the least. In retrospect, it seems apparent this may have been due to the fact that he was zonked out on booze and drugs nonstop. Today, I think he's the member I respect the most. He's done so much with his life since facing his demons, he wrote a touching memoir (as opposed to having it ghost written by someone else), and in doing so, has helped others with their addictions. He seems like the coolest, most down-to-earth dude ever.

He's a fucking stand-up dude, he jammed with Axl's band probably as a token of appreciation for their past friendship more than anything, and I find this thread pretty pathetic.

I agree with this 100%.

I have so much respect for Duff especially since reading his book. I had no idea he suffered from anxiety, that was something I could really relate to a lot and it gave me a completely different view on him and his substance abuse.

Another thing I really like is how he admits to the mistakes he made and how he contributed to the break up instead of playing the blame game like other members have. I really wish the others would learn from Duff a little because he's definitely the one handling the situation with the most maturity. Not once did he speak ill of the others in his book when he very easily could have. No one would've questioned him if he said bad things about Axl but he didn't. Instead he showed a lot of Axl's good sides. He did this with all the members and it made me respect him a lot. His book is without a doubt the best and most candid book by any GN'R member.

I don't understand how anyone can lose respect for Duff for playing with Axl. He does so because he's mature enough to be over the bullshit in the past and because (at least I believe so) genuinely cares for Axl. If anything it makes my respect for Duff that much greater.

• Like 3

To be with his brother Axl and have some fun with the fans..I don't think there is nothing else..Same goes to Izzy...Although I hope for more like patching things up with Axl and Slash but it will never happen and this comes from hardcore reunionist..so sad..

looool you're an idiot

As pointed out several times recently by everybody from Subs down: please try to engage in discussion as opposed to just insulting other members.

What if i don't?

the OP obviously is an idiot and trying to cupcake on this board

If i call him a fuzzy idiot the mod squad forgive me?

Edited by Crash Diet

looool you're an idiot

As pointed out several times recently by everybody from Subs down: please try to engage in discussion as opposed to just insulting other members.

What if i don't?

the OP obviously is an idiot and trying to troll on this board

Following the rules is a requirement for membership here. HV chose to give you a 3rd warning point for the insult you threw at another member, so you're 2 points away from being banned. I was just recommending that you follow the rules and not insult other members.

looool you're an idiot

What if i don't?

the OP obviously is an idiot and trying to troll on this board

Looks like you didn't read my polite PM or get the warning in time. I think I'll have to revise it to a suspension for the outburst.

When you return, I trust you'll be able to dial down the insults. I hope others are taking notice, people need to be more respectful towards one another.

• Like 4

I think the only legitimate point the OP raises is the state of the band right now.

Look at the difference in how these songs are performed for example

And if you want to cut them some slack over Ashba, then compare these

I know which line-up sounds like GNR and does these songs the justice they deserve and it sure as fuck isn't Axl's band.

• Like 1

Even after the thousands of times I've heard (the original) SCOM, I just watched the RNRHOF performance and my hairs stood on end when Slash plays the solo.

Seeing them back to back like that really rams home what's missing...nobody plays those songs like Slash, and Adler for that matter.

Edited by DR DOOM

Even after the thousands of times I've heard (the original) SCOM, I just watched the RNRHOF performance and my hairs stood on end when Slash plays the solo.

Seeing them back to back like that really rams home what's missing...nobody plays those songs like Slash, and Adler for that matter.

There's just something about it. I don't mean to be a Team Slash guy, he's just so fucking good. After watching that RNRHOF performance, its amazing anyone would put up with anything less. Its just... fuck, there aren't words to describe it. That sounds like Guns N Roses and what we have now doesn't. Obviously it has to do with the fact that these guys are playing their own songs, but its just that tone and that groove. Something about it is missing these days. They've played these songs hundreds or thousands of times, yet every SINGLE performance looks like they are giving it their all. Its why we fell in love with this band.

I'm sorry, but you just can't have Guns N Roses without Slash. Duff is great, Steven is great, Matt is great, and Izzy would have been there had Axl showed up. But its not legitimately Guns N Roses until Slash is there, and deep down I think everyone knows that. You'd have to be certifiable to not see a massive difference between these two performances. Even the new band at its best is still far below this, and I like all the guys in the new band. They just don't play it like it needs to be played.

• Like 1