Since I Don't Have You

Never been a fan of doo-wop. For the longest time this was probably the one GNR song I couldn't possibly care any less for, but lately it's been one of my favorites. Not exactly sure why, I haven't been listening to GNR at all lately, but I've found myself playing this one in my head a lot. When Axl comes in singing that last verse an octave higher I get chills, man his voice was really at it's peak on The Spaghetti Incident and he wasn't really utilizing it much on that record. Love that guitar at the end too, nothing flashy or earth shattering, just a great cover. Guns N' Roses is one of the few bands that not only did covers justice, but they always did a great job of making them their own, Since I Don't Have You is a great example.

Dizzy's cheap synth chorus is pretty fucking gay though. I hate Dizzy

After not listening to this album for years, I heard Since I Don't Have You two years ago and was blown away. I knew the song and I'd seen the video (honestly one of the worst videos in history aside from Gary Oldman), but for some reason it finally clicked for me.

That last verse is amazing, but the whole track is put together excellently. It has this amazing build with Slash's guitar coming in at just the right place and each verse getting harder than the last. I'm not gonna say its some underrated classic, but when it clicked for me I really had a deeper appreciation of the track. Great sway vibe which then transitions into something really rockin'. And a great Axl vocal delivery there. The only stupid part is the last minute or so of weird underwater like noise they felt needed to be included.

I believe so. Not to further perpetuate the classic "what could have been" or anything but man I don't think I'll ever stop wondering what a mid 90's GNR album could have been like.

It would have probably been a terrible experimental industrial album with great Axl vocals, that is if he didn't process them or make them sound machine like. His voice was in peak form and he would have been the highlight. But even if Guns stayed together, I think he would have had to get that album out of his system and it probably would have been their "flop", as many bands had in the 90s, and they would have made a modern rock sort of comeback in the early 2000s with something similar to Velvet Revolver.

But best not to think about that and how awesome it could have been.

• Like 1

I agree Guns always did pretty good versions that in most cases exceed the original but this song is too much like the soundtrack of a cheesy sex scene in a romantic comedy.

That's pretty much exactly what I use to think, I dunno man.

• 8 months later...

Never been a fan of doo-wop. For the longest time this was probably the one GNR song I couldn't possibly care any less for, but lately it's been one of my favorites. Not exactly sure why, I haven't been listening to GNR at all lately, but I've found myself playing this one in my head a lot. When Axl comes in singing that last verse an octave higher I get chills, man his voice was really at it's peak on The Spaghetti Incident and he wasn't really utilizing it much on that record. Love that guitar at the end too, nothing flashy or earth shattering, just a great cover. Guns N' Roses is one of the few bands that not only did covers justice, but they always did a great job of making them their own, Since I Don't Have You is a great example.

Dizzy's cheap synth chorus is pretty fucking gay though. I hate Dizzy

They used SIDHY as an intro to SCOM at Boston in 1993, and Axl's voice sings the verses you're talking about and he sounds EXACTLY the same as on record.

Agree that Axl's voice is excellent on this, Human Being and Sympathy. I think they were prob 3 of the last vocals he recorded before ChiDem. Wasn't most of the other TSI stuff recorded in 1990-91?

Seven of the songs were recorded in 1992, per Gilby. The other 6 songs were recorded instrumentally in 1992-1993, and the vocals (as always) were recorded last, in 1993, during and after the last leg of the UYI tour. Little known fact, but Slash doesn't play guitar on Look At Your Game, Girl. It's a friend of his.

• Like 1

I have a weird feeling about it. Like sometimes i feel sad listening to it as it may represent, for some people, the end of Guns N' Roses. I love it, its a great song, but it makes me sad :P

Same goes to "Look at your game, girl".

Anyway i think CD is a nice record, but it's not even close to what most of us think GN'R is. Thats why i get that weird feeling about SIDHY. IMHO TSI? is the end of """"real"""" GN'R.