Since I Don't Have You

My favorite TSI song and one of my top Gn'R covers.

Was this released as a single? Did it do any good as I've been listening to it over and over lately & really love it.

I like it, I've listened to TSI more than any other record lately

Axl: When we started rehearsing, living in a little craphole on…[...] Off Sunset and Gardener. It was just a song for some reason I wanted to do and Slash wanted to do a long time ago, and we don't really know… we felt indicated…[...] I don't know why I really liked that song, I just did and then… We were on the road, we had three days off in Boston, and the song just fit things at the time and we had some time so we went in and did it without having any clue of what it was gonna sound like musically. Because it's a completely different string arrangement and everything in the original. And we went in and just had fun with it [Axl and Slash interview, Rockline 1994].

Slash: There's a good story going behind that song because I think that was one of the first songs that really started to turn this "Spaghetti Incident" thing into an actual album. And we did it on off time on the road and recorded it in Makeshift studios in Boston. Brought rental gear down there 'cause all our gear was on the track. And that was how badly we wanted to do it. We just… you know, pulled out whatever we had. And talking about Gilby's guitar… We used his practice guitar and we used rented gear and this and that. We couldn't find a guitar store in Boston [Axl and Slash interview, Rockline 1994].

In 2015 it would be really nice to see people stop using the word 'gay' as a pejorative. Just saying. /soapbox

Anyway, the song. I like the original and I've heard other people cover it well. With the Guns N' Roses version, I will give them props for recording something outside of their normal comfort zone/type of song, but I can't say that I like listening to it very much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

failed to read all comments so not sure if what i'm about to say was mentioned, but it is still an interesting fact that spaghetti was released in nov 93 and since i dont have you had already been played as a tape intro before gnr shows as far back as march 93, the skin and bones tour. i wasnt there but the intro was included in some bootlegs from that tour.

failed to read all comments so not sure if what i'm about to say was mentioned, but it is still an interesting fact that spaghetti was released in nov 93 and since i dont have you had already been played as a tape intro before gnr shows as far back as march 93, the skin and bones tour. i wasnt there but the intro was included in some bootlegs from that tour.

The song was recorded in March 1993 in Boston, that's why. Axl and Slash both confirmed this in their joint Jan '94 interview. They were on tour in Boston and were so intent on recording it they went to this random studio, used one of Gilby's spare guitars and recorded it quickly.

This is the only good song on TSI...

Surely you mean the only good cover on the album, because most of the originals are pretty good songs?

And even then, I deeply disagree. Ain'T It Fun is absolutely amazing. Down On The Farm is truly great. Black Leather is great. New Rose is great too, even if the original by the Damned is far superior.

Only Hair Of The Dog is a mixed bag to me.

The real duds on the album are Raw Power (absolutely no soul whatsoever in that cover), Human Being (which is basically noise), Attitude (a cover by bloated Duff is more of the antithesis of punk), and You Can't Put... because it's a fucking shit song.

I really like what Axl did with the Manson song, but I don't really consider it a part of the album.

And yes, Axl's sheer vocal performance on SIDHY is one of his truly best.

Edited by EvH

One of those songs that I didn't like at first, but now have a big appreciation for. Great performance from Axl. Plus it's different from your everyday slow song/ballad. Kind of an odd choice for an album opener though.